Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

24 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

If he is kept on for next year (not saying he should be sacked before any snowflakes get upset)...he and his background team need to oversee a very important transfer window. 

I’m not overly convinced with the standard of Perez / JJ / Praet, and extending contracts for the likes of Wes/Fuchs if we want to be pushing higher up the league next season.  
And there’s a lot of deadwood that we should offload - James/Mendy/Type 2/Rachid/Slimani/Kaputska

We really need way more quality and strength in depth next season. 

James Justin has done a cracking job since coming in. He is still a young man with lots to learn. But he's stepped up from joining us from Luton and for my money has not shirked an inch in battling hard every time. He has real potential and I hope he realises that with us. 

Pèrez is more complex. He has great skills but can be a little lightweight at times. But having a more settled role in his best position would help him enormously. Rodgers hasn't done him, or indeed others and ultimately us, favours with his frankly baffling tactical and selection decisions at key moments of the season. 

Hope we keep both players. 

I think the biggest mistake Rodgers has made was no contingency planning. When we were playing well we relied on the same XI JJ, Morgan, Albrighton, Fuchs, Gray, Nacho , Praet, Hamza could all have played more games. We could have tried 3 at the back, 343, 433 etc in different games. We destroyed Villa playing a diamond but don't seem to have tried it again.

We can't rely on XI players not getting injured or suspended or going off form. We have to have a functioning squad especially next season when we're in Europe.

1 minute ago, Milo said:

Mate, I've not had the pleasure of interacting with you previously. 

As I've mentioned earlier, please feel free to re-read the posts in this thread for clarification. 

You clearly stated that the reason for our poor form since Christmas was solely down to individual errors, therefore absolving the manager of any responsibility for the downturn.

I disagreed.

That's all.

(You're not related to Toddy, are you?)

As I’ve said I do think it’s down to individual errors, just look at our last 2 defeats, all goals are down to individual errors. I do. It blame the manager, he has done amazing with the players he had at his disposal, I think we are lucky to have him. 

no idea who who Toddy is.

Our form and general play for over half a season is shocking, there's no getting away from that, to bottle a 14 point lead and lose out on champions league football is absolutely galling, Rodgers absolutely has to shoulder a lot of the blame for a prolongued collapse, it does bare mentioning though that in my opinion we would have been more likely to cling on to a champions league spot without a lockdown, and that had our form in the first half of the season not been so sensational we would be mid table talking about how we can build for next season. It's the complete lack of fight and momentum that needs to be addressed over the off season, and Rodgers should absolutely be given the chance to turn things round with a transfer window. However if we are on 24 points after 21 games next season I don't think many fans would be shocked or disappointed to see him go. He needs to turn it round and I hope he does. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I think the biggest mistake Rodgers has made was no contingency planning. When we were playing well we relied on the same XI JJ, Morgan, Albrighton, Fuchs, Gray, Nacho , Praet, Hamza could all have played more games. We could have tried 3 at the back, 343, 433 etc in different games. We destroyed Villa playing a diamond but don't seem to have tried it again.

We can't rely on XI players not getting injured or suspended or going off form. We have to have a functioning squad especially next season when we're in Europe.

I guess the flipside is the risk of changing a winning formula by introducing players when the guys on the pitch were doing the business. 

Fergie's Man U could do it as they were so good they could introduce fresh faces in one or two positions as the regular 9-10 would normally get them through.

I think because we're new to such winning runs in the premier league (bar 15-16) that it probably felt too risky during our run earlier this season.

Its a tough balancing act and one I dont envy of any manager.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Koke said:

Mourinho on Rodgers 

I think it was an intelligent performance," he said. "I knew that for them to play with this back five is not a very comfortable situation. I want to be honest with Brendan. I don't remember someone was so honest with me when I was playing without a striker, but I want to be honest with Brendan and it's easy to analyse that to play without Ricardo Pereira, Soyuncu and Chilwell destroys a backline

So we decided to take away from them where they can hurt us, which is basically behind us. We took away from them our defensive depth by making our defensive block a little bit lower than we normally do.

"Then we gave the ball to them, to their back three because we wanted them to bring the ball and we wanted them to feel quite comfortable, leaving their comfort zone, which is where they are not playing many matches

Being patronised by a bloke who's tactics belong in 2007. Great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To my mind anyone who thinks Rodgers should go needs their head examining.

He puts a team out of 11 professional footballers. How they perform on the day is mainly out of the manager's hands.

I've said it before and no doubt will say it again; to win you have to take your chances. Football really is a simple game made difficult by the players and their actions.

• Like 1

I don’t trust Brendan to buy right, his form is awful wherever he’s been with the odd exception. 
But the board have to do something. Either spend and get rid of 7-10 players or sack the manager. If we do neither, then on this form, it’s bottom half finish next season. 

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Being patronised by a bloke who's tactics belong in 2007. Great.

Unfortunately even a washed up Mourinho is still tactically more competent than Rodgers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Why would he change a winning team to slot others in? He'd get absolutely slaughtered on here for it and rightly so, because nearly all of the players mentioned aren't good enough to be starters.

He has his tactics and doesn't change it, even Lampard outsmarted him a few weeks back.

The reason we won all those games in a row was because Vardy had an unreal run of scoring goals.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Why would he change a winning team to slot others in? He'd get absolutely slaughtered on here for it and rightly so, because nearly all of the players mentioned aren't good enough to be starters.

He has his tactics and doesn't change it, even Lampard outsmarted him a few weeks back.

The reason we won all those games in a row was because Vardy had an unreal run of scoring goals.

'Even Lampard outsmarted him' - you mean the same Lampard managing the 3rd best team in England at present and the one who just got his team to the FA Cup final in his first season managing a premier league team?

If the barometer for our manger is higher, ie, Guardiola or Klopp in 2020, then I'm sorry as you'll be disappointed to hear we'll never have someone at their level in charge of a club of our size.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

He puts a team out of 11 professional footballers. How they perform on the day is mainly out of the manager's hands.

I've said it before and no doubt will say it again; to win you have to take your chances. Football really is a simple game made difficult by the players and their actions.

I don’t want him to go but I disagree with your point slightly here. If we were looking at a one-off then I would agree that there is very little a manager can do, but when performances and results have been poor for a sustained period then the blame has to sit with BR. 

8 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Doesn't  really matter who we have in charge then. Might as well get someone cheaper in to do it if the manager isn't important 

15 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

Yeah, but it's still Vardy, I'm allowed to be kind. Without him god only knows where we'd have finished, kelechi isn't going to match his goals tally any time soon. 

Obviously I'm annoyed we've dropped so many points, I can't imagine there's a city fan who isn't. It's just a matter of managing that frustration by seeing the bigger picture (as you pointed out). I'd hate to see us be one of those clubs who dump managers every 12 months, let alone a manager who got us into Europe, and into 5th above Spurs and Arsenal. We all know/recognize he's made mistakes it's just a matter of keeping it all in perspective. The most I hope is he learns from this and takes it into next season. That goes for the whole team. And the players who don't really want to be here and have been happy to take their foot off the gas should go (for as much ££££ as possible) so we can build. The reality is at this moment in time, man for man, we're not as good as ManC, ManU, Liverpool even Chelsea if the pundits like to make out Lampard has managed a bunch of youth players, many of them won the league a couple of seasons ago (hell one won it with us). This team needs to develop still, we need depth and we need consistent goal scorers to compete. So still being in the mix is pretty good.  

Without Nacho’s goals we also wouldn’t be in 4th position, he deserves some respect ;) 

It’s hard to manage that frustration purely because of the manner of the situation. I said on here after the Bournemouth defeat, if the league was tight throughout and we had thrown away the opportunity, I wouldn’t be as frustrated. It’s the fact that we were sitting 2nd, had a 14 point gap and somehow we’ve blown it, if any other team and manager did that, they’d be slaughtered. 

I can see him staying but you can’t brush this current form under the carpet, if this continues into next season he’ll be out the door, simple as that.

Before the season started, we knew this was the perfect opportunity to potentially break into the top 4, Chelsea, United, Spurs and Arsenal have weakened, and over the course of this season those teams have been hit and miss, Spurs and Arsenal especially, and yes we are contending with Chelsea and United but those two haven’t been that brilliant. This was a big opportunity, we got ourselves in the position we hoped, yet here we are on the brink of potentially blowing it, I’m sorry but seeing this team go from playing beautiful football, 2nd in the league with a 14 point gap, to playing uninspiring football, potentially 5th in the league and bottling a healthy lead, is a tough one to take. 

This is tough because we would have all taken 5th at the start of the season. However our form and and some of his decisions need to be looked at.

As others have said we don’t have the quality of the traditional top 6 so it was always going to be a big ask to get into the top 4.

We have had a good season on reflection some fantastic performances and some poor ones. We are on course for the second best season in our history so it can’t be that bad. I only hope this young team learns from it and improves again next year.

Our squad is good and a lot of our players will be wanted elsewhere if we can keep hold of our key player and add to the starting 11 with top quality we will be ok. 

Just thought I’d try be positive.

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

'Even Lampard outsmarted him' - you mean the same Lampard managing the 3rd best team in England at present and the one who just got his team to the FA Cup final in his first season managing a premier league team?

If the barometer for our manger is higher, ie, Guardiola or Klopp in 2020, then I'm sorry as you'll be disappointed to hear we'll never have someone at their level in charge of a club of our size.

The 3rd best team in England because we've collapsedlol He's in his first season as a premiership manager, Rodgers has about 15 years of experience over him.

Change Lampard to Eddie Howe, to Mourinho, to anyone, it was just an example. Every single big game we've bottled or been outsmarted since Man City away, the only exception was the Sheff United one.

35 minutes ago, Koke said:

Mourinho on Rodgers 

I think it was an intelligent performance," he said. "I knew that for them to play with this back five is not a very comfortable situation. I want to be honest with Brendan. I don't remember someone was so honest with me when I was playing without a striker, but I want to be honest with Brendan and it's easy to analyse that to play without Ricardo Pereira, Soyuncu and Chilwell destroys a backline

So we decided to take away from them where they can hurt us, which is basically behind us. We took away from them our defensive depth by making our defensive block a little bit lower than we normally do.

"Then we gave the ball to them, to their back three because we wanted them to bring the ball and we wanted them to feel quite comfortable, leaving their comfort zone, which is where they are not playing many matches

Great coaching. Recognised our weaknesses and exploited them.

Rodgers surely should have known we have an ageing and slow defence so don't push up to the half way line and leave Son and Kane space in behind. 

We won our league title with those tactics. We didn't really play badly, created some nice chances. Just a weak defence got exposed with good tactics and playing to their attacking players strengths. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt said:

As i've said many a time, it's about performances (Lack of) and negative, boring sideways and backwards football. I had these problems under Puel and little has changed with Rodgers (Ok, harsh - we're ever so slightly more positive under Rodgers).

You do realise we're above Arsenal, Spurs, and Man Utd (Albeit soon to overtake us because of a turn around and upturn in form) because the league is poor overall don't you?

There is no way I expect to be where we are and there is no way in any other season we would be where we are or deserve to be - I think that's being honest, far from being entitled.

09/10 - You needed 70 points for 4th/67 point for 5th.

10/11 - You needed 68 for 4th/62 for 5th.

11/12 - You needed 69 for 4th/65 for 5th.

12/13 - You needed 73 for 4th/72 for 5th.

13/14 - You needed 79 for 4th/72 for 5th.

14/15 - You needed 70 for 4th/64 for 5th

15/16 - You needed 66 for 4th/66 for 5th.

16/17 - You needed 76 for 4th/75 for 5th.

17/18 - You needed 75 for 4th/70 for 5th.

18/19 - You needed 71 for 4th/70 for 5th.

This season - You're going to need 65 for 4th/62 for 4th. The lowest points total in the last 10 years. Take nothing away from the points we've acheived but it's pointing towards the quality being lower, likewise you won't need the traditional '40 points' to stay up. As I say in any other season we would not nor deserve to be (Or 'expect) to be where we are, this is all aside from my real bugbear, that is to do with style of play.

Regardless of all of this are you've literally swept Nov/Dec to Marchs form under the carpet.

I Think it points to The quaity getting better..The PL even with Man.city,Not Keeping the pace plus usual top 6 yo yoing, proves that the Middle Standards have

Upped their game und learn process, and even the expensive players can get Bloody noses...

Lack of points reached,prove nothing and ends no arguments....

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Proper weird how you're not allowed to criticise the squad or the managers on here without people having a meltdown. 24 points from 21 games is quite frankly embarrassing.

Let them have a meltdown. It's a forum for differing opinions. Anybody worth debating with will be obvious

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Because we can't rely on Vardy, we need to have a formation that gets the best out of Nacho. Or allows us to play with both of them. We need players like JJ, Bennett, Praet, Hamza, Gray, Thomas to be playing on our terms when the team is playing well and full of confidence and not just used when we're desperate and have no choice. 

If we'd played with 3 at the back more often then we might not have struggled so much defensively.

He will get slaughtered on here whatever happens if we lose, it's the nature of the beast. 

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Because we can't rely on Vardy, we need to have a formation that gets the best out of Nacho. Or allows us to play with both of them. We need players like JJ, Bennett, Praet, Hamza, Gray, Thomas to be playing on our terms when the team is playing well and full of confidence and not just used when we're desperate and have no choice. 

If we'd played with 3 at the back more often then we might not have struggled so much defensively.

He will get slaughtered on here whatever happens if we lose, it's the nature of the beast. 

I do get where you're coming from but it's a catch 22 isn't it. The squad isn't big enough, the squad isn't good enough, tactically he isn't the best himself and then we've had injuries too. But we should have had 4th secured about 3 games ago, mad how we've let it slip.

He played with 6 defensive players today and we are 3 down in the first half we was we playing so high the amount of space behind was crazy considering our problems at the back ...

Really don't understand his decisions at times and I was well behind him.

The amount of game time nacho has got since we've been back is shit as well considering his ability and form.

we've had our second highest finish though so he does deserve credit it's a 38 game season after all and the injuries have jarred us ..

Deserves  another season just wish we would attack more though 

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

I think we caught Kane offside twice and Son once when they were through on goal. if Harvey Barnes hadn't tracked back either the first or second goal (I can't remember which) would have been offside.

This "high line" thing has just become a buzz word. We lost against a world class attack with a depleted defence. Nobody is happy about it but it happens.

But he said it on sky afterwards it was his plan. ****ing madness if you ask me.