Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

11 minutes ago, frany104 said:

He’s a fraud. Zero tactical nouse and subs are baffling. We have to stick with him though as we can’t afford to sack him. Let’s pray the recruitment is good or we could be fighting relegation next year with the form we’re in. 

No, you're wrong. He was tactically spot on today and has been before many other times in the season. Room for tactical improvement yes, but to say he has zero house in exaggeration in the extreme.

• Like 4

Just now, Col city fan said:

He’s presided over an absolutely awful 2020 for us so far

Yes we’ve had crucial injuries which haven’t helped but he hasn’t had the managerial ability to somehow pull us over the line for the Champs League

Jury’s out imo

But he DOES need a transfer window to sort out some of the completely average players on our squad and to improve it

I feel we should stick by him no doubt, top 5 is still an amazing finish and if he can get us going again next season we can challenge again. However, he hasn’t been great at turning poor form around and struggles to get things going, but with backing and good signings he can hopefully get us to that next step 

5 minutes ago, kingfox said:

His mentality is absolutely shocking and it rubs off on the players.

We have a mentality weak manager and we have a mentality weak squad.

The way he approaches big games is shocking, but he’s got history of it. His tactics at times are baffling too, some of his decisions lately have been suicidal.

He somehow needs to pick this team up big time, start of next season will show us what he’s about, he needs to show some cojones or he’ll be a goner. 

Great point.

A few years back I think it was fair we loved to prove people wrong, use it to push us on and give more, had a a siege mentality.

I see nothing like that in the last year or two, we just roll over, we're too nice, we need a nasty **** that'll pull people through the trenches - whether that's within the management team or on the pitch, we need that ingredient.

I'm sorry to keep going back it but this insistence of negative football we've played that puts us under pressure and leads to mistakes I feel gives an excuse to be this nicey nicey team and causes such a poor mentality, the excuses are there so they don't need to do anything else.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

Just now, shailen said:

I think the best managers in the world don't change their philosophy. But our injuries and suspensions were too much for us to overcome and we should have been a little more pragmatic in the games that came afterwards. Man City have two players in every position and can therefore afford to play the same way and with the Pep philosophy. We don't have that luxury. 

He's obviously not Pep and he hasn't got Pep's budget either, but that's not the point.

If we'd had the first and last half of the season the other way around everyone would be calling him a genius now. It's pure speculation to say we'd have done better under another manager.

• Like 2

Guest ttfn
3 minutes ago, Hammo said:

He was flavour of several months in the autumn - and deservedly so. But, for all the praise he was getting then, he deserves the same amount of criticism for the way he has mismanaged the team since he signed that massive new contract in December.

Absolutely this - people were singing his praises in December and rightly so. He got the praise (and contract) for that in December.

Since the start of December we’ve been dreadful, given the quality of squad we’ve got (which isn’t great but is at least top half) the performances have been shit.

He deserves that criticism now - you can’t go through life taking credit when times are good and then pointing back to the good times when times are hard. 

I didn’t have a problem with his approach today until we went 1-0 down at which point I thought his tactics were pretty embarrassing. In fact they were such a huge difference to what we’d seen for the other 60 hours of football this season I’m wondering if the players ignored him and just decided to go long ball.

I remember when those celtic fans warned us when things were going well earlier this season, that it was all going to fall apart and we'd end up regretting the appointment. Is this a natural cycle for Brendan? It seemed to be the same way with Liverpool after that Gerrard slip. 

We went from playing free flowing attacking football without any fear to a possession based bore fest.

Whether this stems from the manager or the players who knows but its a massive contrast.

First half of the season players were making passes, getting in positions and scoring with ease then all of a sudden after the Man C and Liverpool games we never seen that again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

He's obviously not Pep and he hasn't got Pep's budget either, but that's not the point.

If we'd had the first and last half of the season the other way around everyone would be calling him a genius now. It's pure speculation to say we'd have done better under another manager.

That would show progression

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do understand some of the gripes pointed towards him and question some of the comments he makes. And fully aware there were issues from Dec/January. Perhaps the Arsenal contract stuff and the disapppointment of not being able to beat Villa in the cup was the catalyst for the rest of the season.

Having said that, how many other managers would have been able to succeed with losing 4 first-team regulars for crucial games of the season. Even if our form was poor, I've absolutely no doubt that if Ricardo and Maddison were available and fit for all of these final post-lockdown games, we'd have secured top 4. Losing 2 instrumental players or not having them fully fit is always going to have a knock-on effect and then paves the way for players to play out of position and adjust. 

I'm not trying to excuse Rodgers as there are definite weakness, some of them glaring. I just really hope we buy sensibly for our extra fixtures we'll be playing next season. Really want us to be competitive in Europe but not at the expense of the league form. We have to compete in both if we want to be taken seriously and if we ourselves seriously want to breach the 'top six' and compete with the bigger clubs.

• Like 1

His formation changes and mid-game substitutions has cost us so many points.

Some of the worst ones off the top of my head:

- Kelechi off at half time Vs Bournemouth away

- Bennett on for the injured Albrighton Vs Bournemouth away. Why not bring on an attacker? 

- Negative 2 DM system vs Man Utd away when they were there for the taking

- 2 DM's Vs Brighton at home?!! 

- 4-4-2 diamond/Maddison wide left against Liverpool giving TAA the entire flank to attack

- Making Bennett, Morgan & Evans play a highline against Spurs away

- Chilwell playing LCB against Villa away in the Carabao & Barnes at LWB. Wtf was that about?

Edited by Shane

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

No, you're wrong. He was tactically spot on today and has been before many other times in the season. Room for tactical improvement yes, but to say he has zero house in exaggeration in the extreme.

Agreed. Tactics were working really well until that Jonny/Hamza **** up. 

The only real criticism I can level at him is the decision to take off Nacho.

He's made mistakes this season but some of the criticism is so over the top, it's embarrassing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We won't be finishing in the top 4 with him in charge- other teams will improve and possibly pull away from us. This was an amazing opportunity and we've thrown it away like you wouldn't believe.

• Like 2

1 point against Norwich.

3 against Bournemouth 

4 against Watford

If you are a nasty efficient top half team, you put them away twice each with ease. We are too nice. Dont want to see Maddison laughing and joking with the opposition or rolling over and getting our tummies tickled time after time in pressure. 

Brendan get some nasty git in the central midfield who is going to kick arse and bollock some folks, including "teflon" Kasper. 

Just now, Webbo said:

The depth is the issue, we lost real key players and you look at the players having to come in, and it was a total drop in quality. Justin too young, even though he did okay but so far off Ricardo. Ndidi being out we struggle to find a decent replacement. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Well tbh if it was the other way round, with modern day football he'd have been lucky to survive the first half of the season. I'm just saying we've seen the best and worst of Brendan this season. His set up is good and he wants us to dominate games but his inability to change the approach when our main players are out is a little concerning. Wes, Jonny, Justin and Thomas aren't going to be able to play their way out against the likes of United. 

18 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Talking the club down in order to gloss over the fact we’ve crashed and burned since Christmas

Pretty poor form really

This is what is winding me up. If he came out and sounded more positive and wasn't going off on his PR script to save face for 'Brand Brendan' I'd tolerate it that bit more. He isn't particularly likeable is he? Like, he is actually quite annoying when results are going against you. 

• Like 2