Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

There is no strong case for this whatsoever. Absolutely deluded comment.

We had a club (and fanbase) which had turned completely toxic.

We were 12th when he was sacked (18 points off fifth, 19 off fourth) and we're fourth now, possibly finishing fifth.

We have had a shocking collapse since mid December yes (and BR deserves his share of blame) but we're miles ahead of the Puel era, probably further ahead then we should've expected.

Agreed. For all of BR's faults, he's improved the club massively since he joined, notwithstanding the poor stuff in recent months.

Not making CL from where we were would be a real sickener but the club has moved from 12th (in Feb last year, and 9th at the end of last season) to 4th/5th now.

We've made a lot of progress. Strange progress at times but progress.

True.

Good form carried on from the end of last season to this (I think we can credit BR for that).

Same from late 14/15 into 15/16.

But equally we slumped shockingly in the closing months of 12/13, culminating in Deeeeeeney, yet romped to the title the following year, using the disappointment as a positive.

BR needs to work the market well this summer and get off to a reasonable start next summer.

He also needs to address his own tactical failings rather than using the "trust in the process" soundbite.

Amazing isn't it... one of the highest finishes in our history and we're losing our minds.

As always, Que Sera Sera...

We're only 4/5 th because the Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal have been woefully inconsistent this season.

We'll see how much water this argument holds in the next season, but I overall agree with you.

8 hours ago, chapero82 said:

I’m more worried what signings he will bring in tbh 

He has brought some rough ones in the past, but didn’t he find courtinio, saurez or how ever you spell it.

All teams have some iffy signings, ffs we can’t stop buying shit players, paying them silly amounts of money, realise they are shit, loan them out and pay the majority of their wages still.

Rodgers isn’t the worst recruiter in the game, but barring the odd gem, we as a club should hold our head in shame for the scandalous amount of money wasted in the transfer market.

We've been in terrible form since lockdown, had to deal with injuries, games in quick succession meaning very little time on training pitch, even more so when we've had to change formation, players who haven't played for months having to play games in a short space of time. It's been a difficult period and Rodgers has came up short, but the squad depth is the biggest problem we have, well squad quality because we do have sufficient numbers. I'm sure Rodgers regrets not doing much business in Jan, I think the club felt we'd qualify for champions League with what we had. Difficult window because we need to get rid of deadwood before we can strengthen the squad. 

I worry for the start of next season, lots of games to play, confidence levels can continue into next season. 

• Like 1

Basing opinion on a back 5 of Justin, Morgan, Evans, Bennet and Thomas, should Rodgers be considered under pressure?

Ok, so the opinion is based upon form since December, since December we've been trying to re-discover form without key players. 

Our depth allows us to have 1 excellent system, see league position after 19 games. 

Take key components out of that system, see league position after 37 games.

Rodgers has a strong argument against anybody wanting him sacked, he's not had his squad available.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

We've been in terrible form since lockdown, had to deal with injuries, games in quick succession meaning very little time on training pitch, even more so when we've had to change formation, players who haven't played for months having to play games in a short space of time. It's been a difficult period and Rodgers has came up short, but the squad depth is the biggest problem we have, well squad quality because we do have sufficient numbers. I'm sure Rodgers regrets not doing much business in Jan, I think the club felt we'd qualify for champions League with what we had. Difficult window because we need to get rid of deadwood before we can strengthen the squad. 

I worry for the start of next season, lots of games to play, confidence levels can continue into next season. 

We were in terrible form before lockdown 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

We're only 4/5 th because the Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal have been woefully inconsistent this season.

We'll see how much water this argument holds in the next season, but I overall agree with you.

Isn't that what everybody said when we won the league? 

Is that how you explain to people why we won the league?

1 hour ago, Danny Clender said:

Isn't that what everybody said when we won the league? 

Is that how you explain to people why we won the league?

Apple and oranges.

We never had such a dip in form, never let go of the first place once we reached it and won the title with three games to spare. It was fully deserved, from start to finish, regardless the other teams performance.

Edited by That_Dude

Not a chance Rodgers under threat. You cant be Leicester City and sack your manager for finishing 5th. What you can do is hold a drains up autopsy at the season end, looking at the full picture.  Manager, players, backroom staff etc. The hierarchy deserves that. Call it a shot across the bows to Rodgers, nothing more.

He will get the clubs typical support in the summer and be allowed to further stamp his own style on squad, suspect few in few out.

I do believe that next season mid point will then next be the next natural progress check unless anything had gone disastrously wrong which I'd hope it wouldn't have. Need to trust the manager folks long term. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Apple and oranges.

We never had such a dip in form, never let go of the first place once we reached it and won the title with three games to spare. It was fully deserved, from start to finish, regardless the other teams performance.

So don't put words in my mouth.

By asking you a question, you put the words into your own mouth, not me.

Thanks for answering honestly though.

I think every team this season, apart from Liverpool, have been inconsistent. 

Our form has caught up with us and balanced out with Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

6 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

By asking you a question, you put the words into your own mouth, not me.

Thanks for answering honestly though.

I think every team this season, apart from Liverpool, have been inconsistent. 

Our form has caught up with us and balanced out with Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Apologies.

I get that, but what worries me is that it's other way around for us. All those teams got better, we got worse and it started before the injuries depleted the squad.

Edited by That_Dude

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Since?

I think lockdown clouded a lot of people’s judgement. I keep seeing people say ‘since lockdown’ and they have good points about injuries etc but it’s not since lockdown is it? It since December and back then we didn’t have the injuries, quick games in succession or little time on the training pitch so what are people pinning that on?

All teams go through bad spells throughout the season, but half a season? But people will always find things to blame to excuse issues I guess.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Apologies.

I get that, but what worries me is that it's other way around for us. All those teams got better, we got worse and it started before the injuries depleted the squad.

Totally agree with the reverse of form, we've stalled.

I'd say, our available squad list explains most of that, Rodgers tinkering explains some of it and just being in this new position of challenging for CL explains the rest. 

Part of me always considers the conspiracies behind the slump, but I can't explain those. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Apologies.

I think it also has to be taken in to consideration that  while injuries have depleted ours, others have got players back. Spurs with Kane. Rashford for Utd. Both of these players, if I'm right in thinking, would have missed the rest of the season if it carried on as normal. 

It's no excuse for us and we should do better, but has to be taken in to account I think. 

• Like 1

In BR defence he is missing Ricardo and Chilwell, both are integral to the way Rodgers play football. Though I understand this terrible form started when both were still fit and playing 

19 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think it also has to be taken in to consideration that  while injuries have depleted ours, others have got players back. Spurs with Kane. Rashford for Utd. Both of these players, if I'm right in thinking, would have missed the rest of the season if it carried on as normal. 

It's no excuse for us and we should do better, but has to be taken in to account I think

True for Kane, but imo Man United's regain in form can definitely be put on Fernandes for the most part. It was a major signing for them as they were completely adrift before and OGS on the verge of being sacked. Chelsea might be inconsistent but I think that they'll be force to be reckoned with next year. Arsenal also seem to improve under Arteta, we'll see for how long. We truly had an opportunity to play the CL that we won't have before a long time.

Of course it has to be taken into account and at the start of the season, I expected us to be around 6/7th given the lack of depth of the squad. It's not like I'm unhappy with a Europa League place, I just can't separate a shiny 5th league position from its context.

Massive summer incoming.

Edited by That_Dude

Just now, That_Dude said:

True for Kane, but imo Man United's regain in form can definitely be put on Fernandes for the most part. It was a major signing for them as they were completely adrift before and OGS on the verge of being sacked. Chelsea might be inconsistent but I think that they'll be force to be reckoned with next year. Arsenal also seem to improve under Arteta, we'll see for how long. We truly had an oppportunity to play the CL that we won't have

Of course it has to be taken into account and at the start of the season, I expected us to be around 6/7th given the lack of depth of the squad. It's not like I'm unhappy with a Europa League tour, I just can't separate a shiny 5th league position from its context.

Yes Fernandes has been their catalyst. They've got their front 3 ticking. 

As for the last bit I'm in agreement but I'm slowly resigning to the fact it will be Europa League - maybe it's the conditioning Leicester makes you have to prepare for the 'worst' lol

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Honestly I don’t think the owners will be too forgiving if he didn’t deliver us champions league football, we had a great chance and we have blown it.

Can you imagine the pundits reaction if little Leicester sacked a manager they all love for finishing 5th? I think we'd go back to being public enemy no.1 again. 

21 minutes ago, Koke said:

In BR defence he is missing Ricardo and Chilwell, both are integral to the way Rodgers play football. Though I understand this terrible form started when both were still fit and playing 

Take Robertson and TAA out of Liverpool side an they aren't the same. 

I still think the niggling injury to Vardy and Ndidi caused the major lose in form, they only missed a few games each but but both struggled to find form. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Since?

I think lockdown clouded a lot of people’s judgement. I keep seeing people say ‘since lockdown’ and they have good points about injuries etc but it’s not since lockdown is it? It since December and back then we didn’t have the injuries, quick games in succession or little time on the training pitch so what are people pinning that on?

All teams go through bad spells throughout the season, but half a season? But people will always find things to blame to excuse issues I guess.

Of course, our poor form and concerns about Rodgers go back longer than lockdown but for me our performances have been a million times worse since the break. Pre-lockdown I would only say Norwich and probably Southampton at home were dreadful, Burnley away was a poor result but I didn't think we played "that" badly on the day, we should have been out of sight before we worryingly capitulated (a sign of things to come perhaps)

We did have injuries in the early part of the year too with Vardy and Ndidi missing games. Half of our best 11 have missed periods this year, not ideal. We wouldn't have won the league if we had the injuries we've had in the past 6 months during that season.

Rodgers isn't blameless, and he has shown a worryingly lack of tactical nous, motivation and has made some bizarre decisions. But there are a number of reasons as to why its been so difficult to manage. At the end of the day, we over-achieved in the first half of the season and we were unable to sustain. Rodgers has the summer and start of next season to get this right.

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yes Fernandes has been their catalyst. They've got their front 3 ticking. 

As for the last bit I'm in agreement but I'm slowly resigning to the fact it will be Europa League - maybe it's the conditioning Leicester makes you have to prepare for the 'worst' lol

True. I've never been that conflicted about the team and its manager though.

17 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Honestly I don’t think the owners will be too forgiving if he didn’t deliver us champions league football, we had a great chance and we have blown it.

It was a stupid decision to give him a new deal after half a season. Why do we throw contracts around like there's no tomorrow? Makes no sense.