Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

The morning after the night before

6 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Has anyone changed their thoughts as the mist has settled from last night?

Think I've accepted we are highly unlikely to get top 4 rather than being annoyed at it.

I think if we end up finishing 6th for example and in a Europa League spot, I think I'd reflect on it being a good season overall (thanks to massively over achieving before Christmas) but with a feeling of ahat might have been.

I'm not as 'fewmin' as last night thats for sure 

I do think we massively over performed in the first half the season but equally i think we have under performed since. My frustration is as much about what could have been, but as you say, in the greater scheme of things a top 6 finish is a great result for a club of our size. Wenever recovered confidence after it was destroyed in the Liverpool and Man City games over the Christmas period.

As much as things went well for 3/4 of a season, I'm judging Rogers by how he has responded to the dip in form and I'm not impressed. That doesnt mean I think hes a bad manager or that I want him out. Far from it. I would however like to see some real humility and acceptance of his part in our downfall.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

But King Power must not judge him on whether he gets CL or not now.

No but they might judge him on performance because as you rightly point out......

3 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Claude Puel took 26 points from his final 22 games. Rodgers is on 21 from 19. In that time, both lost cup games that should have been won. Neither had big January backing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Has anyone changed their thoughts as the mist has settled from last night?

Think I've accepted we are highly unlikely to get top 4 rather than being annoyed at it.

I think if we end up finishing 6th for example and in a Europa League spot, I think I'd reflect on it being a good season overall (thanks to massively over achieving before Christmas) but with a feeling of ahat might have been.

Well I'm annoyed at it. I'm not accepting it at all, it's pathetic to be 2nd or 3rd all season and crumble away at the end losing to teams in the bottom 3. We have had strong chances to reach a cup final and finish top 4 but we've screwed up both. There is no good saying we'll 6thbisbtill good blah blah it ain't good when we were 2nd on New Years day and 14 points above 5th place. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm never one to panic and talk about sacking managers maybe because I've seen it get worse so often but when it looks like you're manager has no faith in the team to beat a bottom 3 team despite outplaying them for 45 mins it makes me lose faith in that manager.

I'm still a long way from wanting him out but he's plummeted in my estimation of him.

If the team are lacking bottle then for me this is a big reflection of the signals coming from the manager.

The noises coming out from the manager and players after the first two games post-restart bothered me at the time. There seemed to be a sense of 'we played ok, taking time to get up to speed, still in a great position'. Little urgency or awareness of how sharp our rivals had been in contrast post-restart. 

I said on here in Feb while 8 points ahead of Man U that Fernandes was going to make the difference for them and were bigger threats to us than Chelsea. People were sceptical that they could make up 1 point per game on us. As it stands, the last game of the season is going to be a battering. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

Swap the first and second halves of the season round and it turns into a heartwarming tale of a team in dire form coming together and playing excellent football to reach a Europa League place.

We played out of our skin first half of this season and I think we set the bar for performance and expectations too high. Nobody would turn their nose up at finishing 5th or 6th - it's just the manner in which we have capitulated from such a good position that hurts.

Like the anti great escape

Escape great the

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm never one to panic and talk about sacking managers maybe because I've seen it get worse so often but when it looks like you're manager has no faith in the team to beat a bottom 3 team despite outplaying them for 45 mins it makes me lose faith in that manager.

I'm still a long way from wanting him out but he's plummeted in my estimation of him.

If the team are lacking bottle then for me this is a big reflection of the signals coming from the manager.

No rep left but this

• Like 1

Part of me thinks that Rodgers is not as good as we thought he was. I'm sure he's a fantastic man manager but tactically he shown himself up last night big time. We play some great football at times but like others have said, as soon as the pressure is on - we crumble. 

Its probably worse this morning. And it has very little to do with the Man City appeal. 

I wasn't even that disappointed losing to Liverpool on boxing day or even the Villa semi final when I was in the Doug Ellis stand. 

It's just unbelievable what happened last night. 

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I've accepted we're not going to get Chanpions League now.

Just want to see Vardy win the Golden Boot and us to make the Europa League now. I hope we give the Europa a good go next season like Wolves have done this year.

This. More than anything now I really hope Vardy can hang on to his Golden Boot, he's come so close so many times. He's capable of scoring regardless of whether the rest of the team are shit, he set a record for scoring in most losing games under Puel I believe. He'll be extra motivated to score against Sheff U next game to prevent them getting Europe, hope he gets a hat trick even if we lose 6-3.

I don't particularly fancy Europa as our league form will clearly suffer, but for the players to lose out completely on Europe now would deflate them so much that our form would likely suffer anyway. So probably best to give it a go. 

17 minutes ago, davieG said:

This is heart breaking to read as it sums it up perfectly.:(

A lot of fingers have to be pointed after yesterday, first half we were cruising and playing good football, unlucky not to have scored a few more. In my eyes BR got arrogant and for some reason thought he could kill the game after 45 mins. No chance.

Then Kaspar, so often our saviour, has to be seen as at fault for their first goal, his distribution was terrible yesterday, like he was in cruise control. He's done so much for us as a club and a team its true so he rightly won't be vilified but he's also not immune to criticism.

Soyuncu lost the plot after conceding 2 in 2 minutes and then that was it, left the rest of the team unbalanced.

Fuchs, absolute work horse and I love him to bits but he's just not the standard we need now as a backup - he is still one of the most intelligent footballers but is now 2 or 3 yards behind.

JJ - not good enough right now, definitely shows potential but he then also looks a bit lost for ideas and it feels like he needs his hand holding when going forward.

This is such a fussy point to make but sometimes the simple things lead to us losing possession etc. but why are all of our players scared of receiving a ball from a throw in? Every time we had throw ins yesterday whether in theirs or our own half, everyone disappears or shirks coming for the ball. I've lost count of the times we have a simple no pressure throw in and it ultimately gets turned over and gives the opposition a chance to attack or we just give the ball away - so frustrating. 

• Like 2

I've gone from annoyed to almost accepting that we've blown it. Manchester City's appeal was successful and a win for Manchester United over Southampton tonight would complete Leicester's fall from grace after many months in the Top 4. 

Our season is a reaching a very anticlimactic end, with heads being lost and that Champions League mentality and quality, all but a distant memory. All we can really hope for now is a Europa League spot, which is still very much in our hands. Last night's second half was the worst 45 minutes I'd seen since the 4-1 home defeat to Crystal Palace that got Claude Puel removed from his position. And what separates us from the Top 4 at the moment is that we don't have any real game-changing players that can create something out of nothing, we our backs are against the wall. Someone like Kevin de Bruyne, Bruno Fernandes or Mohamed Salah.

I can only hope that now that Champions League dream has gone from being almost certain to hanging by a thread, we can still retain most of our key players who will have been noticed/scouted during the first half of the season when we obviously overachieved. We can hopefully learn from this disappointing experience and maybe come back stronger next season. Brendan Rodgers may have gone down in my estimations last night after his poor substitutions and throwing Kelechi under the bus, but still believe that he can take this team forward. Though I would say winning 7 titles with Celtic are hardly glistening credentials.

I now reluctantly and despondently accept that Champions League is gone because to guarantee a top four place we’d have to win all of our last three games.

But if we get a place in the Europa League Group stage, that will be a decent consolation.