Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

The morning after the night before

2 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

A lot of fingers have to be pointed after yesterday, first half we were cruising and playing good football, unlucky not to have scored a few more. In my eyes BR got arrogant and for some reason thought he could kill the game after 45 mins. No chance.

Then Kaspar, so often our saviour, has to be seen as at fault for their first goal, his distribution was terrible yesterday, like he was in cruise control. He's done so much for us as a club and a team its true so he rightly won't be vilified but he's also not immune to criticism.

Soyuncu lost the plot after conceding 2 in 2 minutes and then that was it, left the rest of the team unbalanced.

Fuchs, absolute work horse and I love him to bits but he's just not the standard we need now as a backup - he is still one of the most intelligent footballers but is now 2 or 3 yards behind.

JJ - not good enough right now, definitely shows potential but he then also looks a bit lost for ideas and it feels like he needs his hand holding when going forward.

This is such a fussy point to make but sometimes the simple things lead to us losing possession etc. but why are all of our players scared of receiving a ball from a throw in? Every time we had throw ins yesterday whether in theirs or our own half, everyone disappears or shirks coming for the ball. I've lost count of the times we have a simple no pressure throw in and it ultimately gets turned over and gives the opposition a chance to attack or we just give the ball away - so frustrating. 

I've noticed this mate countless times. No one making themselves available. 

I've just wrote the season off, I'm not bothered what the final three results are or where we finish now.

What's more important is getting to the end of the season and regrouping. I fear that last night will have mentally left scars on this football club for the next few years, both for the players and for the fans. How can we trust Rodgers again if he doesn't realise that his substitute was the wrong decision? Do we trust Congerton with potentially 50-60m in the summer? I don't really think we've got a choice now, we've got to stick with them and see where we end up in 12 months time, but we've royally ****ed up another season, I just hope our recruitment is better than the summer 2016 transfer window.

Im aimlessly walking around in a daze today still asking myself out loud, what the fvck happened last night?

I still can't process it, 45 minutes of the easiest premier league you could ask for followed by the worse 45 minute spell I think I've ever witnessed.

• Like 2

This season is now about Vardy. It is the small glimmer of success I can take from this season. Vardy deserves the golden boot and deserve a player of the season award (which will no doubt go to a Liverpool player). He is a credit to the club and currently the only player I have an ounce of respect for. Go on Vards, show Owen how much of an unnatural finisher you are. 

1 minute ago, deejdeej said:

It's f*****g mind boggling that Champions league qualification is still in our hands. Not that I have any faith after last nights south coast massacre.

last nights south coast massacre.  lol

Qualification is still in our hands. 

The next 2 games are tough but equally winnable. 

If it gets taken out of our hands, it likely gets put into Chelsea's hands, who look just as flakey and play Wolves, have to juggle an FA cup game, and go to Anfield.

4 points from the next 2 could be enough, time for the boys to show their worth and pick up 6 though.

I'm strangely looking forward to Thursday more so than any game since lockdown. 

34 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

Swap the first and second halves of the season round and it turns into a heartwarming tale of a team in dire form coming together and playing excellent football to reach a Europa League place.

We played out of our skin first half of this season and I think we set the bar for performance and expectations too high. Nobody would turn their nose up at finishing 5th or 6th - it's just the manner in which we have capitulated from such a good position that hurts.

While I agree with you and don’t want him gone, if you did swap the half season’s around he would probably have been sacked while battling against relegation. 

Edited by when_you're_smiling

If anything it feels more painful lol 

I along with probably others have come to realise how spineless and mentally weak our team and manager is, it’s one thing blowing a healthy lead when comfortably sitting in 3rd, it’s the manner of how we’ve done it that really pisses me off.

You just knew before the game we’d bottle it in some way, I just didn’t expect us to bottle it, in epic fashion like that. Terrible management decision, followed by terrible individual errors, along with a red card and allowing Dominic Solanke to score two goals, when it comes to footballing downfalls, our display last night is right up there.

This restart has separated the mentally tough from the mentally weak, we are basically Arsenal with a slightly better all round squad.

It’s not over, but these next 3 games are a huge battle when it comes to mental strength, can we bounce back or will we capitulate even further? 

The next 3 games are massive for Rodgers to prove himself to the fans.

4 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

While I agree with you and don’t want him gone, if you swapped the half season’s around he would probably have been sacked while battling against relegation. 

I think you're probably right mate., however, I can't help shake the feeling that Brendan is going to get a bit more leeway than other managers - given the merry-go-round of the last few years, I feel the club will be more inclined to stick with him and (hopefully) back him in the transfer window.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Has anyone changed their thoughts as the mist has settled from last night?

Think I've accepted we are highly unlikely to get top 4 rather than being annoyed at it.

I think if we end up finishing 6th for example and in a Europa League spot, I think I'd reflect on it being a good season overall (thanks to massively over achieving before Christmas) but with a feeling of ahat might have been.

I’m still fuming and can’t see myself calming down anytime soon! Horrific substitution that I cannot get my head around what he saw. Just don’t get it! Help!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

It's f*****g mind boggling that Champions league qualification is still in our hands. Not that I have any faith after last nights south coast massacre.

No way are we getting it now, but to have been in relegation form all year and to somehow still be mathematically capable makes no sense.

No and I can’t stand hearing this constant cliche opinion that we were ‘punching above our weight in the first part of the season’.

We were not punching above our weight, we had good form and are at least the forth best team in the league even now.

I swear people make this kinda crap up to make them feel better about the reality - which is that we have bottled top 4 by stupid errors.

Chelsea are very average, with a rookie manager and a transfer ban. They have had to deal with a young team that has quality but is inconsistent and we for 1 season had a chance because we have a better squad than Chelsea.

Money talks and next season they will be back, we missed a great chance and it was there for the taking.

Frank has done a fantastic job to get a team weaker than us into the top 4. We have underachieved and bottled it. This will go down as the biggest disappointment and underachieved season in our history.

Football only began in 1992 as proven today by Man City’s rigged appeal and since moneyball has began, you can argue turgid 2004-08 is the worst part but due to being in financial troubles , it was a bad situation but we wernt good enough, we didn’t throw anything away.

For me the only season that can compare to being on this level of waste is 00-01 under Taylor.

For me this is actually worse for a few reasons:

1 - our cup run ended vs a team who are so bad and we would of had a final , a 1 off game, for a cup if we just beat a poor team. Comparison to 00-01, yes we lost to Wycombe but if we won we’d of played a treble winning Liverpool team and even if we beat them, probably the best arsenal team to ever play the game! We were never winning the FA cup anyway.

2- Our team that year had to deal with losing Heskey and Collymore and Martin O Neil. We had a toothless Akinbiyi and Eadie up top. Izzet And Lennon were playing out his skin and we were punching high. We lost Lennon in January and got spanked 6-1 by Arsenal and then lost to a terrible Bradford team at home. The writing was on the wall before the Wycombe game, that just got the headlines.

We were a good team fighting above our weight with a tiny squad And then lost Lennon and it fell apart. This team is 10x better and we’re punching below our weight not above our weight.

This is the worst season of our history since the Premier League began in terms of underachieving to the sum of our parts.
It will take a long time to live it down and I honestly think with Big clubs coming up from the Championship this year and our only genuine world class players either coming up to 34 or getting big moves away, I honestly can see us being dark horses for relegation, if not next year, over the next few years!

We have missed a big chance that will change the landscape of our club for potentially the next decade and beyond.
If we’re playing in the Championship anytime within the next few years it’ll all be because of these last few months, particularly culminating in that dreadful 2 mins vs a Bournemouth team who’d genuinely struggle in league 1.

Make no mistake about it, this is a sad time for our club and our worst ever season.

Every other ‘bad’ moment was upsetting for a day followed by happiness - relegation at stoke was followed by enthusiasm - we had been in a rut for 4 years, it was a welcome relief and I saw a silver lining even at the time and was looking forward to a new start.
Deeney day, gutting but after a day or so I realised we fought hard, Watford were better then us over 2 legs. We wernt ready for the Prem and we had the squad to compete next year, which we did.

This has gutted me harder than ever and I fear will have devastating consequences in the near to distant future. We have missed an absolutely massive opportunity, by sheer ineptness.

I’ve now calmed down considerably. I now believe that only the manager should be hung, drawn and quartered. I’m no longer extending that to his family, pets, distant relatives, neighbours and everyone in his contacts book.  Although I and still of the opinion that tarring and feathering may be appropriate in those cases.  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Qualification is still in our hands. 

The next 2 games are tough but equally winnable. 

If it gets taken out of our hands, it likely gets put into Chelsea's hands, who look just as flakey and play Wolves, have to juggle an FA cup game, and go to Anfield.

4 points from the next 2 could be enough, time for the boys to show their worth and pick up 6 though.

I'm strangely looking forward to Thursday more so than any game since lockdown. 

Talking with such reason, logic and optimism will have you banned from here mate. Maybe in the future try knee jerk reactions, exaggerated overblown remarks and constant criticism 😂😂

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

No and I can’t stand hearing this constant cliche opinion that we were ‘punching above our weight in the first part of the season’.

We were not punching above our weight, we had good form and are at least the forth best team in the league even now.

I swear people make this kinda crap up to make them feel better about the reality - which is that we have bottled top 4 by stupid errors.

Chelsea are very average, with a rookie manager and a transfer ban. They have had to deal with a young team that has quality but is inconsistent and we for 1 season had a chance because we have a better squad than Chelsea.

Money talks and next season they will be back, we missed a great chance and it was there for the taking.

Frank has done a fantastic job to get a team weaker than us into the top 4. We have underachieved and bottled it. This will go down as the biggest disappointment and underachieved season in our history.

Football only began in 1992 as proven today by Man City’s rigged appeal and since moneyball has began, you can argue turgid 2004-08 is the worst part but due to being in financial troubles , it was a bad situation but we wernt good enough, we didn’t throw anything away.

For me the only season that can compare to being on this level of waste is 00-01 under Taylor.

For me this is actually worse for a few reasons:

1 - our cup run ended vs a team who are so bad and we would of had a final , a 1 off game, for a cup if we just beat a poor team. Comparison to 00-01, yes we lost to Wycombe but if we won we’d of played a treble winning Liverpool team and even if we beat them, probably the best arsenal team to ever play the game! We were never winning the FA cup anyway.

2- Our team that year had to deal with losing Heskey and Collymore and Martin O Neil. We had a toothless Akinbiyi and Eadie up top. Izzet And Lennon were playing out his skin and we were punching high. We lost Lennon in January and got spanked 6-1 by Arsenal and then lost to a terrible Bradford team at home. The writing was on the wall before the Wycombe game, that just got the headlines.

We were a good team fighting above our weight with a tiny squad And then lost Lennon and it fell apart. This team is 10x better and we’re punching below our weight not above our weight.

This is the worst season of our history since the Premier League began in terms of underachieving to the sum of our parts.
It will take a long time to live it down and I honestly think with Big clubs coming up from the Championship this year and our only genuine world class players either coming up to 34 or getting big moves away, I honestly can see us being dark horses for relegation, if not next year, over the next few years!

We have missed a big chance that will change the landscape of our club for potentially the next decade and beyond.
If we’re playing in the Championship anytime within the next few years it’ll all be because of these last few months, particularly culminating in that dreadful 2 mins vs a Bournemouth team who’d genuinely struggle in league 1.

Make no mistake about it, this is a sad time for our club and our worst ever season.

Every other ‘bad’ moment was upsetting for a day followed by happiness - relegation at stoke was followed by enthusiasm - we had been in a rut for 4 years, it was a welcome relief and I saw a silver lining even at the time and was looking forward to a new start.
Deeney day, gutting but after a day or so I realised we fought hard, Watford were better then us over 2 legs. We wernt ready for the Prem and we had the squad to compete next year, which we did.

This has gutted me harder than ever and I fear will have devastating consequences in the near to distant future. We have missed an absolutely massive opportunity, by sheer ineptness.

It's a very easy way out to say 'oh, we were never good enough anyway!' But it doesn't make much sense when you've been in relegation form for 15 or 16 matches, with a set of players that on paper should be doing far, far better than that.

I still think we can save ourselves and stumble into 5th/6th. If we lose on Thursday then we will finish 6th/7th.

No way in hell will we finish 4th. Chelsea will beat Norwich and we will be 4 points adrift and therefore must beat Sheffield and Spurs to nick ahead of Chelsea (assuming they drop points against Liverpool). I think we have to win 2 and draw 1 to get 4th and there is no chance of that happening.

My main concern is next season, if we don't keep players, give them a kick up the backside and seriously bolster our attack, then we are looking at lower mid table.

18 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Anyone else had to just switch their phone off and avoid any other social media? Yesterday properly actually hurt physically. So frustrating and disappointing.

Yep. Makes me think that I'm too emotionally invested when it hurt to watch the second half last night. Reminds me of Watford playoff game and to a lesser extent Arsenal last min winner Feb 2016 and Liverpool Boxing Day. 

• Like 1

No, it hasn't got any better the day after.

The excuses given for the collapse were not credible. That then eats into your belief in the credibility of the management.

We don't want excuses any more, we want results.

I was so so angry last night, i honestly don't think i have seen a game of football that really has been a game of 2 halves, ever.

This morning i am just sad and disappointed and feeling really let down, not a nice feeling at all. Worse after hearing that Man City's ban has now been rescinded. 

Many questions spinning around in my head which is frustrating as i doubt i will get any definitive answer too.