Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Fifa World Cup 2022 - Qatar

Guest David Oldfields Gate
46 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I won’t be watching a second of it.

It’s a celebration of corruption and sports-washed bigotry.

Agree 100%.

Never been as disinterested in a world Cup as I am in this one. Everything about it is hideous. The timing, the location, the corruption, the bribery, Southgate, no Maddison (more than likely), Kane stat padding against the likes of Iran and scoring 4 penalties in the group stages and being hailed the greatest English striker ever. Nah you can stick it, the more I write the more I'm putting myself off 🤣

• Like 3

Was there this much fan protest/boycotting for the 2018 world cup ? I understand the reasons but that world cup was deemed a success - it will be interesting to see how this one goes but I think after it starts it will generate the same interest as it always has and be quite lucrative for the host nation. 

Unfortunately, I dont see us getting very far in it. 

15 hours ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Normally so excited for a 

WC, but just not feeling it this time.

All due to where its being held.

It’s more the time of year for me but I’m still excited. Don’t get many World Cup’s in a lifetime and always great to see the best players all on one stage.

• Like 1

Who do people think will win it? Personally I think it’s the most open World Cup for a long time, and I wouldn’t be surprised if one the big South American two win it. On paper it should be the French but it’s the French. Germany aren’t there yet, Spain and England poor, maybe Belgium finally? 

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Who do people think will win it? Personally I think it’s the most open World Cup for a long time, and I wouldn’t be surprised if one the big South American two win it. On paper it should be the French but it’s the French. Germany aren’t there yet, Spain and England poor, maybe Belgium finally? 

Think the weather will suit the south Americans and African teams so Brazil are the standout option. Uruguay and Argentina will do well too.

It's terrible that Qatar was awarded the world cup. Unfortunately, holding your nose to watch the sport is becoming more commonplace because of the corruption involved - for example: the super league, sports washing by Russian/middle eastern oil barons, etc.

I'm not going to deny myself the pleasure of enjoying one of the best things we as a world do (coming together to celebrate / complete in sport) because of the corruption of FIFA, because I don't think it will matter/ever change. But I don't blame those that do. In fact, I find it very admirable.

I think there's a lot of good that will come out of this world cup, even considering the problematic nature of it. Nations that haven't made the world cup before or in a long time. Players that by playing in the world cup have achieved for themselves and their family a lifetime dream. Drama, shocking results, and a month of distraction from a world that increasingly needs it.

On a personal level, I really started to become passionate about the sport around the 2014 world cup. I took for granted America's involvement. Following the 2018 qualifying disaster and all the drama/heartache in qualifying for this world cup will make it all the more studying to see us represented, especially by a group of players that are very easy to root for. I'm proud of them, and I hope they do well, even if I don't expect to get out of the group stage.

Edited by Detroit Blues

6 minutes ago, Lionator said:

On paper I’d say France but it never works out like that. Especially with them being current champions.

I’m excited to see how good Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay are as I only see them every World Cup.

On 04/11/2022 at 13:58, kingkisnorbo said:

Gary Neville’s mental gymnastics in trying to justify all this is funny. Plum. 

He's an absolute joke on this subject. So glad he's being pulled up on it.

Wants to take the money and highlight the bad stuff. Idiot.

33 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Think the weather will suit the south Americans and African teams so Brazil are the standout option. Uruguay and Argentina will do well too.

Brazil were pretty much untouchable in qualifying and for once you could say they have world class options in every position now. But they are developing a reputation as bottlers, and Messi really needs to win this World Cup.

The African sides will struggle I think, AFCON was terrible and the strongest sides didn’t even qualify. The Asian sides could do something, Iran definitely aren’t minnows in England’s group for anyone who has paid attention to them since 2018. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

He's an absolute joke on this subject. So glad he's being pulled up on it.

Wants to take the money and highlight the bad stuff. Idiot.

The popular defence is that they are going to report on the event rather than support the event. The example Lineker used on a podcast interview was to compare himself to a war reporter, going to detail events and not cheer on genocide. I understand the argument, I just think it’s very, very weak.

I’ve had the opportunity to work with certain national media organisations and be funded by business sectors I morally disagree with. Consequently, I declined - losing a healthy financial benefit. We have choices whether or not to engage with things and I must say I’m not impressed with how willing some have been to perform mental gymnastics in order to justify a pay packet to themselves, from players claiming they had no choice in where the team plays to commentators believing they can somehow influence a country through their anodyne muttering. It reminds me of the time artists attempted to claim that by playing Sun City they were helping to shine a spotlight on apartheid or they weren’t political.

12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

From BBC sports site.

Read Klopps thoughts..."We are not politicians"

Excellent points..& asks why put the pressure on mnager & players...They can't answe.

Why not ask journalist & politicians

The questions, why didn't you do more..

Interesting points...!

As much as I don't like Klopp, he's spot on here.

People let this happen years ago, when the host nation was chosen.

Why start asking questions now?

None of the managers or players can do anything, especially at this stage.

FIFA should have been held to account when the decision was made.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lionator said:

Argentina 

Good to see Bayern Munich and Dortmund fans protesting against the Qatar debacle.

Football may come first, according to FIFA, but so certainly does human rights and integrity..

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, tom27111 said:

As much as I don't like Klopp, he's spot on here.

People let this happen years ago, when the host nation was chosen.

Why start asking questions now?

None of the managers or players can do anything, especially at this stage.

FIFA should have been held to account when the decision was made.

There was lots of outrage and questions asked at the time, especially as when it was voted for it was still a summer World Cup in air conditioned stadiums. Even the ‘taking it somewhere new’ argument didn’t hold up as the bid it beat was Australia.

I’m normally like a kid before Christmas for the World Cup. Not this time around though. That’s despite I can see there being all kinds of weird results. It could be a 2002 when South Korea got to the semis and Middle Eastern/ African teams going a long way, before Brazil probably win it. 

Disgraceful  event and should never have been given to this country with no footballing ethos.

This is like Iceland getting the Cricket World cup.

BUT most of us will end up watching it inevitably...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Raj said:

Disgraceful  event and should never have been given to this country with no footballing ethos.

This is like Iceland getting the Cricket World cup.

BUT most of us will end up watching it inevitably...

I know. And I feel dirty for admitting it.

I hate everything about this WC and I think it will go down as one of the worst ever for numerous reasons.

BUT it's still the WC and they only come around once in a blue moon, so as a football fan I know I'll cave in and watch it :unsure:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

I hate everything about this WC and I think it will go down as one of the worst ever for numerous reasons.

BUT it's still the WC and they only come around once in a blue moon, so as a football fan I know I'll cave in and watch it :unsure:

And this is the thing. People will watch the tournament and I think it will be a success. Hardly anyone showed the same “moral” passion in 2018 and similar things happened. Workers death, LGBTQ issues. Human Rights issues and if I remember rightly, the conflict 1 between Ukraine and Russia was well underway. For that tournament there was far less of a voice of condemnation but in the end, the few who did oppose it were very much in the minority. People caved in, watched it and many praised it.

I think this one will probably be a success too just like any other world tournament. People adjust and as soon as the first group games are over, the excitement and anticipation will take over. 

On 06/11/2022 at 12:27, Izzy said:

Also, nothing I do from the comfort of my own home is going to make a difference, at least not this late anyway :dunno: