Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

it has changed

the Law 12 definition for handball, whereby the arm ends at the bottom of the armpit, must be used when judging whether a player is in an offside position

https://www.theifab.com/news/annual-general-meeting-2021

I’m still not clear what this means?  ‘The arm ending at the bottom of the armpit’. Is that a reversion to last year or is that the sleeve ??

I thought last year was the top of the armpit (hence the issues with shoulders being given as handball).  I was under the impression that the bottom of the armpit is the sleeve 

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I would agree. I think they should measure the feet only, not any body part you can score with. Therefore if the defender is running up the pitch (playing offside trap or just running forward) and the attacker is heading towards goal, the attacker is OK as long as his feet are in line or behind the defenders feet. Even if the upper body (arm/shoulders) look miles apart (offside). I am all for giving the attacker more of an advantage. That way it is fairly simple to measure with the lines (yes you still have when was the ball played, where do the feet start/end etc.). It will eradicate the ridiculous decisions like Werner yesterday and was it Bamford at Palace?

I've said exactly the same before. It's just so blatantly obvious. You can only pivot so far in any direction from your feet. It's also easier to determine for Var using the lines across the Pitch and the feet. You could even say it's the standing foot that counts.

That would simplify it for everybody to understand.

21 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I've said exactly the same before. It's just so blatantly obvious. You can only pivot so far in any direction from your feet. It's also easier to determine for Var using the lines across the Pitch and the feet. You could even say it's the standing foot that counts.

That would simplify it for everybody to understand.

I can just imagine defenders jumping in the air to avoid having a foot on the ground to measure!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Scrap offside. Simple.

Know you are joking but years ago, I think there was a semi pro friendly with no offside - was bloody ridiculous, strikers never left the opposition penalty area lol

17 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Scrap offside. Simple.

Evidently they are going to trial  wengers offside law where any part of the attacker being level with any part of the defender is onside.  (So in an extreme scenario, the striker could be well over a yard ahead of the defender). unintended consequences could make this change to the law lead to defences dropping deeper to avoid playing strikers onside with enough room to run into ahead of the keeper clearing out.  Think how a lot of sides defend against vardy.  This could well result in less goals and less excitement. 

3 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Whilst we are at it, I've never liked the pass back to the goalie rule, and substitutes are for wusses.

I think they are bringing in a law where the keeper playing a goal kick to a defender who then heads back (or uses another part of the body) to circumvent the pass back law will result in a yellow card for the defender. 

5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Know you are joking but years ago, I think there was a semi pro friendly with no offside - was bloody ridiculous, strikers never left the opposition penalty area lol

Reminds me of my old school lunchtime 20-a-side games with a tennis ball when one forthright lad tried to ban goal-hanging by suggesting we introduce the offside rule. He got laughed out of the playground...

• Haha 3

Just now, Hales said:

If they are changing laws get rid of the hop penalty takers do. Unfair advantage over goal keepers!

Excellent idea. Or better still have a sniper on hand just in case any of them dare to try it...

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I’m still not clear what this means?  ‘The arm ending at the bottom of the armpit’. Is that a reversion to last year or is that the sleeve ??

I thought last year was the top of the armpit (hence the issues with shoulders being given as handball).  I was under the impression that the bottom of the armpit is the sleeve 

Shoulders wasn’t being given as handball last year tho was they? Top of the arms was but not Shoulders 

Yes this is still what is called the ‘sleeve rule’ but they have clarified what part of the body should the measurement be against 

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think they are bringing in a law where the keeper playing a goal kick to a defender who then heads back (or uses another part of the body) to circumvent the pass back law will result in a yellow card for the defender. 

Yes that’s correct they also agreed on that today 

2 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Shoulders wasn’t being given as handball last year tho was they? Top of the arms was but not Shoulders 

Yes this is still what is called the ‘sleeve rule’ but they have clarified what part of the body should the measurement be against 

There were a few that were given as handball where the shoulder meets the very top of the arm .... I remember one at villa park .....

50 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Scrap offside. Simple.

Move the off side to line up with the edge of the penalty area. 

It was introduced to stop goal hanging not to catch someone out on the half way line.

There was an offside last season given against Vardy because in the play he was off side but when he finally received the ball he was in his own half with several layers behind him. Crazy!!

Didn't it use to be in an offside position when you received the ball?

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

There were a few that were given as handball where the shoulder meets the very top of the arm .... I remember one at villa park .....

So they was rightly given then and there was no handballs given for shoulders then? But Also that it why we have the ‘sleeve rule’ to try to remove avoidance of doubt of handball 

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

I'm 100% not getting involved in any 'pushing the boundaries' medicine talk given we had an ageing team that turned into un-injurable title winners lol 

‘Pool had their inhalers, we had our joss sticks :cool:

D09ADD5A-E090-4259-96C6-96C6AD7C22DF.jpeg.653c9ccf8c6721ff4999be9f99afab78.jpeg

7 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

So they was rightly given then and there was no handballs given for shoulders then? But Also that it why we have the ‘sleeve rule’ to try to remove avoidance of doubt of handball 

No one was sure if they were rightly given.  But moving the handball to the sleeve means that the offside line is now drawn from the most forward point of the bicep rather than below the armpit. That’s removed more goals for offside than it’s probably allowed for lower shoulder handball ....

42 minutes ago, Hales said:

If they are changing laws get rid of the hop penalty takers do. Unfair advantage over goal keepers!

I kinda miss Paul Gallagher's way of taking them. Six steps with his back to goal, then just run and smash it. lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hales said:

Yep. Any form of that should be stopped. 

The player should just run up and hit the ball.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

I for one am happy that Norwich will be back up. They play in yellow (unique colour). They play good football with good exciting creative players. Same reason I hope Fulham and Brighton stay up. 

Football has evolved so well in the last decade. Teams are actually being innovative and brave instead of coming up and playing park the bus stuff. Blackpool were praised a decade ago for having a go - now numerous teams come up and play attacking football.