Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Just now, Countryfox said:

Defo a red mate ...   more of a martial arts move than a tackle ...  

Where should Coopers leg go after kicking the ball?

You might have weird joints but I think that was normal for most humans haha

Just now, StanSP said:

I agree with the red card based purely on the height of the tackle. The higher you go, the less control you're in. It's effectively reckless and dangerous.

It's not a tackle though? If Jesus has the ball and hes gone in high then I agree.

Hes cleared the ball and his leg is following through. Just because Jesus is there doesnt make it a tackle 

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

It’s an easy red for me Contact is high, it’s aggressive, reckless and endangering an opponent 

What's he supposed to do? Leave the ball for Jesus. He wins the ball then follows through with his momentum. It's not reckless, he's not out of control. I understand protecting players but that was a fair challenge. Jesus is late, bad luck.

Just now, Super_horns said:

Interesting- 5live and Talksport are saying why did the ref even need to use VAR as it was an obvious red card.

You've seen the difference in opinion on here on it as its a strange one. Its worth seeing it yourself to form your own.

Not a fault on the challenge but on the follow through with the other foot. I dont think its a ref error as such as its really on interpretation for me but its a shame for football in my opinion if thats a red as it means you can barely put a challenge in without the risk of a red.

The players should rightly be protected but equally its a contact sport and not basketball.

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

He wasn’t in control flying through the air with studs showing... it’s a red and a very stupid challenge 

I'm gonna point out every time a player kicks the ball hard and their leg is "out of control"

I think every player will be deserving a red within 20 mins :D

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

You've seen the difference in opinion on here on it as its a strange one. Its worth seeing it yourself to form your own.

Not a fault on the challenge but on the follow through with the other foot. I dont think its a ref error as such as its really on interpretation for me but its a shame for football in my opinion if thats a red as it means you can barely put a challenge in without the risk of a red.

The players should rightly be protected but equally its a contact sport and not basketball.

Fully agree. Protection against genuinely bad challenges is a must.

Accidental contact after clearing the ball is nothing more than unfortunate and part of the game

In my dream world Jesus is banned retrospectively for feigning injury

I think it just shows that a lot of people don't play football/sport to know natural movement. If someone flies in on a player for a tackle and ends up high, red absolutely. In a 50/50 ball if someone karate kicks to get the ball, again red. When someone challenges a loose ball and starts low and finishes high through kicking movement like Cooper, no chance.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

What's he supposed to do? Leave the ball for Jesus. He wins the ball then follows through with his momentum. It's not reckless, he's not out of control. I understand protecting players but that was a fair challenge. Jesus is late, bad luck.

3 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

He wasn’t in control flying through the air with studs showing... it’s a red and a very stupid challenge 

Agree with this 

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Suppose everything looks worse on a slow mo replay and players screaming to make something seem worse too.

Obviously quite a decision which will divide opinion.

Which is part of the problem- too many subjective calls made by VAR really undermining the on pitch official.

4 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Also shown by the various opinions on the forum too!

Yep, a borderline call.  I didn't see any case for a red until they showed this angle.

IMG_0159.jpg.e63857466bb573ac802a0ca31b601da7.jpg

I'd want red if Cooper landed that one on Harvey Barnes.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's not a tackle though? If Jesus has the ball and hes gone in high then I agree.

Hes cleared the ball and his leg is following through. Just because Jesus is there doesnt make it a tackle 

What is it then? It's not a 50/50. The fact Cooper goes flying in is what makes it bad. 

He's got the ball and caught Jesus on the side of the knee, therefore endangers the opponent. Like I said, it's the height that's done him. 

I don't agree with this hyperbole about not wanting it to be a contact sport just because people think it's a red. That's bollocks. 

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think it just shows that a lot of people don't play football/sport to know natural movement. If someone flies in on a player for a tackle and ends up high, red absolutely. In a 50/50 ball if someone karate kicks to get the ball, again red. When someone challenges a loose ball and starts low and finishes high through kicking movement like Cooper, no chance.

I play football and can understand what's dangerous and what isn't. That's just having a different perspective. I don't think you can sweepingly say people don't know what they're talking about or have/haven't played just through a difference of opinion. 

Also, not sure Cooper starts low. Even if he does, and finishes high, that in essence is what could make a tackle dangerous... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Suppose everything looks worse on a slow mo replay and players screaming to make something seem worse too.

Obviously quite a decision which will divide opinion.

Which is part of the problem- too many subjective calls made by VAR really undermining the on pitch official.

I usually hate players screaming (especially what Lacazette did a few weeks ago). But when you get studded on the side of the knee that is definitely going to hurt, no question about it. 

• Like 2

I think if Jesus doesn't make a meal of it the decision stays a yellow. I don't think it's a red. He's got every right to go for the ball and clears it. Looks like the trailing leg that connects with Jesus. Is it even that high? Doesn't help that Jesus spent a good minute holding his head. What confuses me is, if that was in the penalty box 99.9 times out of 100 VAR doesn't ask the ref to look at the monitor and just agrees with the ref's initial decision. EVEN if that was considered 100% a foul. So is that same rule being applied here, or is it a separate ruling? 

6 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Man City’s XI not on the pitch:

Steffen

Walker

Dias

Garcia

Laporte

Rodri

Gundogan

De Bruyne

Mahrez

Aguero

Foden

That's better than most PL 1st teams - and that's the bench today plus a couple...