Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

4 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Not panicking at all personally. Just trying to have an objective look at what might happen. Quite a few think humans make reasonable rational decisions and they often do. But things like ego do play a part and in my opinion, if we get top 4 and win the cup, BR will be more likely to go to Spurs as it's another chance to boost his own reputation. His ego. 

Well, tbh, why wouldn't he go? Is the top 4 and an FA Cup win the furthest we can go? Similar situation to him coming here.

I don't know where this ego thing comes from with Rodgers. I know he's said some weird stuff in the past, and people used to joke that he was a real life David Brent, but since he's been here I have warmed to him and during his time here I cannot recall a time where he sounded like he was full of himself.

But, my original point, what's the point in discussing it at the minute. Lets see what happens with both seasons (us and Spurs) first. We've some important games left, including a cup final.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'm pleased for Dyche and Burnley. I don't mind them staying up though I wish Fulham stay up too though can't see that now.

Some people on here tried to tell me last season how Wilder was the better manager on the back of 1 good season. Dyche has provided consistency for Burnley and staying up in the top flight is big for them.

Can't stand Wolves. So full of it when they come up, despite the fact that included spending millions in the Championship in the first place, and the media latched onto them too.

You look at how a similar sized club in terms of stadia, fanbase in QPR fared when they were promoted a couple of times with more experienced managers and huge resources to how Dyche has done at Burnley and you have to be impressed.

I think all the talk of him deserving a top 6 club has done him a disservice- being a consistent manager at this level is a hard task, especially at one club in this day and age, and he's managed it for many years now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

You look at how a similar sized club in terms of stadia, fanbase in QPR fared when they were promoted a couple of times with more experienced managers and huge resources to how Dyche has done at Burnley and you have to be impressed.

I think all the talk of him deserving a top 6 club has done him a disservice- being a consistent manager at this level is a hard task, especially at one club in this day and age, and he's managed it for many years now.

I don't think the two are even remotely comparable. 

Burnley are a well run club. QPR were not. They signed older players, near the end of their career on massive wages and got stuck with them. 

8 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I'll be cheering on Man Utd.

I think if they can put a bit of pressure on Man City it will keep them honest when they play Chelsea in the league and will motivate Man Utd to keep up the pressure against Liverpool..

Also Man Utd play us as their third game in five days so it might be good if they rest some players as they should have nothing to play for by then. Any hopes of Man Utd not getting top four are now gone.

Interesting take and for once I disagree.  If United win today they are 8pts below City.  If that is enough to worry Man City, even slightly, then a loss should also worry United enough that they get might caught by us (7pts), especially when they have to play us.  That would also still motivate them against Liverpool not that any extra incentive should be needed for that fixture.  As for Man City v Chelsea?  Man City have a point to settle re the semi-final.

Runners up would be fantastic.  Unlikely, but possible.  Come on Leeds!

• Like 2

Kalvin Phillips seems average whenever I see him play. Plays a very safe, sideways/backwards passing game but he’s average at that too. Papy Mendy is probably better on the ball. 

Ranks 17th in the league for tackles made by a midfielder and 14th for interceptions. Again, very average.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trabuch said:

They aren't. The decision when to freeze the frame is subjective. 

Not really. The rule talks about the moment the ball is played forward - that is the only point the picture should be frozen. The current technology may not be capable of distinguishing that point, but that’s a separate issue. It’s still objective. 

21 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

When you think about the Newcastle one chalked off, when the player couldn't do anything about it, hitting his arm, then Shaw stuck his arm out to prevent the ball travelling to a Leeds player at the far post. 

Super duper 6 still getting looking after, I bet the premier league knobs polish there boots as well , pure cringe 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

Not really. The rule talks about the moment the ball is played forward - that is the only point the picture should be frozen. The current technology may not be capable of distinguishing that point, but that’s a separate issue. It’s still objective. 

The current technology is completely controlled by the same people whose mistakes VAR was brought in to fix. It's not much more than Microsoft Paint with angle support. 

At the same time as admitting the tech isn't good enough, you simultaneously ridicule the idea of a 'margin for error' being implemented, bizarrely arguing that we should make no allowance for the obvious inadequacy of the 'solution' being used

The refereeing in this country is a fcuking disgrace. How is that not a pen when it hit his arm exactly the same place as Wilson yesterday for Newcastle. No consistency, ever. I wish these feckers would fcuk off to their own league so we don't have to put up with this shit and corruption looking after the so called big 6 and they can take every fcuking ref with em. Cnuts

• Like 2

Got to laugh at the phrase "little bit of luck" that the pundits use whenever Man Utd Rob their opposition. 

How thats not a penalty I don't know. Shaw might aswell have caught the ball.

Don't worry, just a little bit of luck. Shame no one other than Liverpool ever get that 'little bit of luck'

24 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

When you think about the Newcastle one chalked off, when the player couldn't do anything about it, hitting his arm, then Shaw stuck his arm out to prevent the ball travelling to a Leeds player at the far post. 

There is a difference between offensive and defensive players in the interpretation of handball. 

But it is still way too confusing and inconsistent at the moment and feels like a lottery. It does seem though, that defensive players get way more leeway compared to earlier in the season, which I think is for the better. It was ridiculous at some point.

Man Utd getting a major 50/50 call going their way is nothing new and happend even more when VAR was not around.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shane said:

Kalvin Phillips seems average whenever I see him play. Plays a very safe, sideways/backwards passing game but he’s average at that too. Papy Mendy is probably better on the ball. 

Ranks 17th in the league for tackles made by a midfielder and 14th for interceptions. Again, very average.

Leeds mates rave about him 

11 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

There is a difference between offensive and defensive players in the interpretation of handball. 

But it is still way too confusing and inconsistent at the moment and feels like a lottery. It does seem though, that defensive players get way more leeway compared to earlier in the season, which I think is for the better. It was ridiculous at some point.

Man Utd getting a major 50/50 call going their way is nothing new and happend even more when VAR was not around.

Yes - as I say few months ago it would have been given when we had that outrage about how defending players would need to defend like penguins.

So now the officials are almost too scared to give penalties.

Handball has always been subjective tbh and inconsistent.

Edited by Super_horns