Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Don’t like to gloat (well perhaps a bit), but I get all PL matches free with my phone contract now. I used to pay $20 (Australian) per month for an HD satellite box which allows me to record up to 6 matches at once, but they seemed to have stopped charging me for that since about June. It also now includes Champions League, Europa League, virtually all internationals, etc.

• Sad 1

They had a really great opportunity to start afresh with a new model of watching football in tandem with Amazon/BT/Sky using their feeds and directing it through a Netflix service which you could pay say £30 a month for every Premier League game...

... Instead they chose greed, and now charging £15 per game. I seriously hope no-one pays.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

No coincidence illegal streaming/torrenting on films/TV and music dropped dramatically with the birth of services such as Netflix and Spotify. Charge a reasonable amount and give people value for money and people will be happy to pay. Fleece them and you're just shooting yourself in the foot as an industry. They'll get there eventually, and doesn't really bother me how long they take as I'll continue to do what's best for me, whether that's streaming illegally/getting a dodgy dish or being taken seriously and offered a viable product, makes no bones to me. 

Great point that. My friend :ph34r: had 100s of GBs of stuff on his external hard drive but hasn't downloaded any illegal films in a long time now because Netflix is a pretty decent deal. Why bother with the hasssle?

I mean this is optional so it's not the worst thing in the world, but it really is time the PL just revamped the whole thing and made all games PPV for a reasonable fee. They will make an absolute killing off it, and it can then all be passed on to the clubs.

1 minute ago, ajthefox said:

Great point that. My friend :ph34r: had 100s of GBs of stuff on his external hard drive but hasn't downloaded any illegal films in a long time now because Netflix is a pretty decent deal. Why bother with the hasssle?

I mean this is optional so it's not the worst thing in the world, but it really is time the PL just revamped the whole thing and made all games PPV for a reasonable fee. They will make an absolute killing off it, and it can then all be passed on to the clubs.

It's true, I don't pirate music/films/programs... but I do have Spotify and Netflix simply because it's good value for money!

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

So, to watch the Premier League legally in the UK, you have to pay:

On Sky:

For new customers:

£39 a month for Sky Sports for 18 months; or

£52 a month for Sky Sports and BT Sports for 18 months; or

For existing customers:

£23 a month for Sky Sports channels for 18 months; or

£18 a month for Sky Premier League and Football on a 31-day rolling contract; or

£40 a month for Sky Sports and BT Sports for 18 months; or

On NOWTV:

£9.99 for a 24 hour pass; or

£14.99 for a 7 day pass; or

£33.99 for a 14 day pass; or

On BT Sport:

£25 a month, no contract; or

£29.99 a month to add it to your Sky Package, with a rolling contract option for £35 up front; or

£29.99 a month to add it to your TalkTalk TV package, with a rolling contract option for £35 up front; or

On Amazon:

£7.99 a month 

Sky/NowTV are offering 140 Premier League games this season

BT Sport are offering "just over 50" Premier League games this season

Amazon are offering 20 Premier League games this season plus the Tottenham Hotspur documentary "Nothing".

According to my dodgy calculations you're looking at at least £60 a month (£480 for a season) for access to all UK broadcast matches, which isn't even half the number of fixtures.

And now they expect you to pay AN EXTRA £15 per match?

Meanwhile, by comparison, in Botswana it would cost you 670 Pula - £45 a month - to access every single match in every single sport.

Sky, BT, Amazon and the Premier League can all get in the ****ing sea. I'm sticking to streaming.

To be fair £45 a month in Botswana is aboit 8 grand a month in the UK is it not? (Jokes)

Crazy as well in a time where the country needs to help one another and motivate each other to stay indoors the Premier league and TV broadcasters have found another way to fleece the public. This will only encourage people to meet up and watch it together which will also not help the covid situation. The government should block this. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't really know where to start. I'm surprised anyone is surprised about this.

But let me be clear, I agree totally that it's a disgrace (and this is a proper disgrace, not just a misplaced pass).

Sorry in advance for the blindsided attack but, HighPeakFox, why always the snide digs? I've been on this forum for a while as have you and although you're a good regular poster and I think quite an intelligent chap, for as long as I can remember you have always adopted a condescending and superior attitude and been unnecessarily pedantic. What is that all about?

Bearing in mind I'm not a season ticket holder, I could accept in good faith this shit show if it meant Season Ticket Holders could watch their (our) games for free. £15 a game then effectively becomes the equivalent of a match day ticket for non ST, and I'm sure LCFC would do things to create more of a match day experience for those who buy 'tickets'.

But this...this is just a sham where no-one wins. Not even the clubs in the long run, as fans everywhere are furious.

21 minutes ago, Anglodanglo said:

Tempted to ask Mesut Ozil to cover the cost

Can you imagine if a club's players banded together to do that? Pay for all the ST and members? Or at least enough to fill a stadium each game? £500,000 covers 33k viewers...but then that is every week I suppose. Mad.

• Thanks 1

I'd love to know on what basis the other 19 clubs accepted this 'interim solution'. And I wonder what their reaction was that 1 of them (us) opposed it.  I know there's the rumours that Woodward voiced his opinion against it but he's still gone and accepted it by giving it his vote... 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I'd love to know on what basis the other 19 clubs accepted this 'interim solution'. And I wonder what their reaction was that 1 of them (us) opposed it.  I know there's the rumours that Woodward voiced his opinion against it but he's still gone and accepted it by giving it his vote... 

Does it suprise you? 

And the thing is, there's a load of noise now....I guarantee most people will be forking out 15 quid to watch their team. Football is a drug they have a whole machine to keep you hooked and you keep coming back for more.

• Like 1

Just now, Abrasive fox said:

Does it suprise you? 

And the thing is, there's a load of noise now....I guarantee most people will be forking out 15 quid to watch their team. Football is a drug they have a whole machine to keep you hooked and you keep coming back for more.

I'm not sure it surprises me there were votes for it, but at the same time, I'm a little surprised we were the only ones against it. 

Just now, StanSP said:

I'm not sure it surprises me there were votes for it, but at the same time, I'm a little surprised we were the only ones against it. 

Amuses me you've got fans crying about the lack of spending of some clubs and classifying clubs as having a 'good window' because they've spaffed a load of cash and then bemoaning this.

What did they expect?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Makes me think that there’s more skin in the game for the clubs in this (not just the PL) than at first met the eye. Woodward will have been whipped in to voting for this if he was initially against it, money talks. I’d be more interested to understand the reason why we didn’t vote for it to be honest, I don’t want to be too cynical but what opinion do we have that all of the other clubs don’t apart from this being leaked and being a good bit of PR? We are talking about the same club that wanted fans to fork out the cost of their season ticket for this season knowing full well fans wouldn’t be able to attend for a large majority, if not all of it, or risk losing their seat. 

I’m glad we’ve opposed it, obviously, but I’d be intrigued to find out why. 

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Sorry in advance for the blindsided attack but, HighPeakFox, why always the snide digs? I've been on this forum for a while as have you and although you're a good regular poster and I think quite an intelligent chap, for as long as I can remember you have always adopted a condescending and superior attitude and been unnecessarily pedantic. What is that all about?

Just who exactly am I have a snide dig at? Nobody. Why use the word  'always' when in actual fact it's 'rarely'? Why pick at my style, when there are so many others who have their faults?

If you find me 'superior', then that is on you, not me I am afraid. I don't attack character, yet you've chosen to. That's also on you.

Nobody is to everyone's taste, I accept that, but the number of likes I get suggest I'm not really all that offensive. Next time I make a post taking a pointless or needless swipe at someone's character, by all means take me to task. Otherwise, please think on.

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't really know where to start. I'm surprised anyone is surprised about this.

But let me be clear, I agree totally that it's a disgrace (and this is a proper disgrace, not just a misplaced pass).

I know where to start with this.I’m surprised you are surprised that anyone is surprised about this! 

let me be clear this is a heinous act, not just a Damarai Gray starting 11 performance. 

Edited by elvisfmcfly
Better prologue
  • Haha 1

Just now, elvisfmcfly said:

Well I’m surprised you are surprised that anyone is surprised about this! 

let me be clear this is a heinous act, not just a Damarai Gray starting 11 performance. 

I think @Arriba Los Zorros might have misunderstood my first sentence. I don't know where to start with my contempt for the greed of our richest clubs - if I wasn't clear about that originally, I'll take that on the chin.

I'll most definitely not be paying £15 per match on top of the significant amount I'm already paying in tv subscriptions. I desperately hope lots of fans boycott this ppv shambles. 

Isn't it going to encourage mates to share the cost and gather at houses, which is hardly a good idea in the current time. 

And given the financial difficulties many families currently face but clubs have just spent millions on transfers and new salaries it's an insult. 

It'll be interesting when the next fixtures are out to see how many prime  fixtures are on ppv that would normally be Super Sunday etc. 

Delighted to see that we voted against. 

Edited by FoyleFox