Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Surely this could have been down similar to season tickets, where individual clubs could have sold a package for the games they had not on sky and shown them on their club website.

If all of the people who had already spent the £70 on their season tickets could have been given this free and different packages could have been made available, thus ensuring clubs get their revenue and supporters get to see their team without being ripped off. 
Imagine being a supporter and spending 300 odd quid on individual games, on top of Sky Sports, BT and the season ticket money... they are killing the game.

Meanwhile on the other side of the world I pay $90 a month (about 50quid) for my Household Internet, phone and basic tv package which includes every Premier League, Europa League, Champions League, FA Cup and International games as well as other leagues such as the J League and K League, women’s games and some other random games I find myself watching.

9 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Don’t like to gloat (well perhaps a bit), but I get all PL matches free with my phone contract now. I used to pay $20 (Australian) per month for an HD satellite box which allows me to record up to 6 matches at once, but they seemed to have stopped charging me for that since about June. It also now includes Champions League, Europa League, virtually all internationals, etc.

makes you feel like optus sport is a real bargain

Guest Markyblue
3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Covid has really let us see the true side of so many clubs. I just can’t stand the fact that clubs were trying to furlough staff 6 months ago and now, looking at a similar future are happy to make mega money signings on huge wages. This is just another sign that the clubs are heartless and the only reason for any good deeds is for good pr that may lead to more income down the line. 

The only community left in football clubs these days is the fans. But with each passing season we move further and further away from being the premier leagues priority. 

If you’ve got the spare cash to pay for this, please consider paying for a efl game pass instead and just putting on an illegal stream.

Remember, we might be dining at the adult table now but we are only a spilt glass of wine away from eating with the kids.

Great post mate.

4 hours ago, perthfox said:

makes you feel like optus sport is a real bargain

Yes, I was highly sceptical about it when they took over from Foxtel. Really resented having to change to Optus mobile to be able to watch the matches and had to have a new satellite dish installed to continue to get it in decent quality on a big screen. Now it’s all done, and available to everyone cheaply, even if they aren’t with Optus, and allows you to watch every match, it seems like incredible value.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Absolutely agree, but that is their way of saying 'now please shut up and go away'.

Sadly, I think you might be right HPF but I'd like to think he'll resist and carry on anyway. Seems a determined young man. 

• Like 2

You'd have thought in this age of connectivity, the football watching population would be able to collectively refuse to pay it. I'm surprised no-one has ever come up with a national supporters union that can ultimately control the broadcasters. As it is, the broadcasters can do what they want and and say if you don't want it don't pay for it, but it's our game they're selling back to us, obviously with all the bells and whistles, but at the end of the day what they're really selling is fans at the ground because without fans at the ground, professional football is basically non-league football with super skilful players.

Best run club in the land, Little by Little we are winning the hearts and minds of not only those that are just starting out in their supporting decisions but some hardened ‘other club’ fans which all the while will expand our global reach and support.

Carry on LCFC doing the small things that make the biggest impacts and to all the people that run this club :appl:

• Like 3

https://www.claretandhugh.info/pl-chairmen-hatch-dirty-tricks-campaign-leicester-excused/

PL chairmen hatch dirty tricks campaign – Leicester excused

Posted by Hugh5outhon1895 on October 10, 2020 in News, Whispers

Hughie gives his view on the £15 to watch matches row that has broken – Sean’s will follow a little later

The BBC’s Dan Roan has added some interesting thoughts to the debate about paying £15  a time to watch games on Sky and BT and they will probably resonate with the majority of fans.

In a blog he says: “Their ( the PL’s)  annoyance at being told turnstiles must remain shut when pressure is also building on them to come up with a bailout for the EFL, is likely to have hardened their stance.

But after clubs spent more than £1bn in the summer transfer window, and at a time when many supporters will be struggling financially, there will be anger about having to pay £15 for matches fans had grown used to watching for no extra cost, on top of their subscriptions for Sky and BT. Those who have also bought season tickets will be particularly infuriated.

I understand the Premier League’s move has raised eyebrows within government, and clubs will now come under renewed pressure to refund season ticket holders, and perhaps reduce the pay-per-view cost going forward.”

He adds: “Ever since last season resumed, all Premier League matches have been available to watch live via the top flight’s broadcast partners. This was partly to help the government encourage fans to stay at home while games stayed behind closed doors, rather than congregating outside grounds or in pubs.

But having had their hopes of a partial return of fans inside grounds from 1 October dashed, despite the success of pilot events, the clubs have had enough of generating nothing from these matches.

His point that the move may be raising eyebrows at government level after their decision to allow behind closed doors games to be played and televised  to raise the morale of a lockdown weary nation is a strong one.

The amount of pressure the PL applied at the time in order to avoid financial penalties from the broadcasters was considered almost obscene by many with the death toll rising – notably in care homes – and infections spiralling.

None of this seemed to get more than a passing  mention from the PL. Money then – as now – among the chairmen and the League bosses was the driver. Let’s please have no argument about that.

Leicester City  – a brilliantly run club which clearly also has some morals devoid of money – are excused from that as they voted against this pay to view plan.

The PL and the rest of them have approved a move straight out of the dirty tricks cupboard!

As we go into a winter at a time described by Health minister Nick Hancock as “perilous” we have the PL attempting to pile financial pressure on those who have lost, or in danger of losing jobs, with a scheme which may backfire anyway.

It may become impossible to play even behind closed doors football  within areas which suffer local lockdowns  and the threat of  national lockdown remains a possibility.

It’s hard not to start wearying of a game at this level anyway where fans are forgotten when it suits and almost price blackmailed into watching their favourite teams when they are required.

I’m personally very unhappy with sports administrators and clubs whose only concern is MONEY at a time when people are dying via this horrible thing which has and continues to blight our lives.

The motto these geezers seem to live by is WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, I was highly sceptical about it when they took over from Foxtel. Really resented having to change to Optus mobile to be able to watch the matches and had to have a new satellite dish installed to continue to get it in decent quality on a big screen. Now it’s all done, and available to everyone cheaply, even if they aren’t with Optus, and allows you to watch every match, it seems like incredible value.

i agree i didnt want to goto optus but looking at uk prices im glad we did

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

To be fair £45 a month in Botswana is aboit 8 grand a month in the UK is it not? (Jokes)

Lolz. There's certainly a few people for whom that's out of reach in Bots, just like it is here, but at least those who can't afford it or don't want it at home have the opportunity to go to any pub to watch whatever match is on (loads of places have multiple TVs showing all different sports). I was there the last 6 games of our title season and was able to watch every single game legally. My dad was 8 miles from the KP and couldn't legally watch it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm unsure on Benrahma. He's obviously got some talent but I often seem to miss his good games.

From what I’ve seen of him, he appears selfish and wants to do everything himself. Massively talented, however he’d be frustrating. 

It'll come back to bite me on the arse no doubt but from what I saw last season, Eze had more of an effect on games then Benrahma did. I don't doubt the latter is good, but he always struck me as an important cog in a very good team whereas Eze would carry QPR. 

Might just be easier to stand out when you're at a poorer side, though.