Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

1 hour ago, RutlanderFox said:

I think we still have a minute chance of getting into pot 1. There are enough teams ranked above us whose fate is TBD who could in theory lose. Extremely unlikely that enough of them will though. Pot 3 seems the most likely place for us

Unfortunately not, there are already 12 teams certain to be ahead of us and fill out pot 1. - Games links Dynamo Kiev vs Gent will have a loser, who will go into the Europa League Group stage, both of whom have a better ranking than us.

• Like 1

The draw avoided the carnage I had been hyping up. No one above us drew each other. Only Qarabag (21) and Legia Warsaw (17) ran into each other which opens the door for Cluj.

On the main path side it sets up Besitkas/Milan, Rangers/Galataseray, Granada/Malmo, AEK/Wolfsburg, FCSB/APOEL.

The projection hasn't been updated to say Cluj in/Warsaw out.

• Like 1

Relevant until next thursday's 3rd round qualifier knockouts. The champions League ties are 2 legged so nothing will be certain yet. As I said earlier, the only change that today's draw made was Cluj in/Warsaw out

Purple: qualified for Group Stage

Green: qualifies through europa main path playoff

yellow: qualifies by losing in champions league playoff

nothing: qualifies through europa champions path playoff

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedel2020.html

918update.jpg.c1ac3c63f1b1be3ca617f84554c22ea9.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Relevant until next thursday's 3rd round qualifier knockouts. The champions League ties are 2 legged so nothing will be certain yet. As I said earlier, the only change that today's draw made was Cluj in/Warsaw out

Any chance you can explain what the difference between the main path and the champions path is? 

I want to follow all this but EL is so convoluted 

7 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Any chance you can explain what the difference between the main path and the champions path is? 

I want to follow all this but EL is so convoluted 

I think Champions Path is exclusively made up of clubs that have already been eliminated from the Champions League. It's like double elimination. Lose once and you're in Europa, lose twice and you're out of European football entirely.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

I think Champions Path is exclusively made up of clubs that have already been eliminated from the Champions League. It's like double elimination. Lose once and you're in Europa, lose twice and you're out of European football entirely.

You can drop down from the CL to EL in two ways, not just one:

6 Champions League play-off losing teams, and 3 Champions League third qualifying round losing teams

One other thing to note:

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) will not be introduced for the group phase, as was planned. It will still be used in the knockout stage, with introduction for the group stage in 2021/22.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/025e-0fac7d3c463c-cd4fe1542272-1000--2020-21-uefa-europa-league-all-you-need-to-know/?iv=true

Edited by PhillippaT

Just now, Ric Flair said:

8th and win it as just getting to the final doesn't get us CL. 

I get that but a final would probably be our last game of the season, we'd have to decide what to prioritise first. 

For me the chance of winning a European trophy would be worth the gamble. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Not quite it’s a bit more complicated. The Qualifers in the CL are split up in to two brackets, ones that are Champions of their leagues and ones who place high in better leagues. Known as “champions route” and “league route” and the two cannot play each other.

If you lose a third round qualifier and you are through the “league” route you go straight into the group stage (AZ, Benfica, Rapid Vienna)

If you lose your third round qualifier via the “champions” route, then you need to play a final qualifier, but those six teams can only draw each other in the last play off round. Hence why they have been highlighted a different colour.

Thats my understanding of it anyway. I can’t guarantee it’s 100% accurate 😂

15 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Swear you are missing numerous potential qualifiers in there, some of which will be above us coefficient wise, where are Olympiacos?

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Swear you are missing numerous potential qualifiers in there, some of which will be above us coefficient wise, where are Olympiacos?

Olypiacos are 43 but they have to lose over 2 legs to Omonia to fall into Europa. The tie is represented in the model by Omonia. The 6 champions league playoff ties lose their way to Europa so the model shows the lower coefficient.

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

I get that but a final would probably be our last game of the season, we'd have to decide what to prioritise first. 

For me the chance of winning a European trophy would be worth the gamble. 

If we win the EL, we go into the 21-22 CL as seeds. Absolutely worth the gamble if we get there.

• Like 1