Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

51 minutes ago, majaco said:

Vanilla is used as a racist term.  In my view, the word 'gammon' as it sometimes  used today,  is a racist term.

Let’s face it, whatever term you use will upset someone. It would seem that some actively look for something to complain about. It reminds me of the 1970s film, “Every home should have one”, starring Marty Feldman and Julie Ege, retitled  “Think dirty” in the USA. In the film a group of Mary Whitehouse devoteès sit watching films and TV  looking for rude or non acceptable words being used. One of the group says, “I counted 12 bastards!” She was corrected by her friend who said, No dear, there were only 11 bastards, you must have misheard bedstead.” “I’d dear” said the First Lady “I wondered what a brass bastard was!”        Surely what is really important is the intent in the word used and does anyone on FT think the term was ever meant to be anything denigrating.In hindsight the best thing would have been to use the player or players names. But then all our younger members wouldn’t know what the Red Star fans disliked, it could have been that they had been to Leicester on holiday and hated it. Or it was a response to NATO killing Serbs in the Fighting following the break up of Yugoslavia.

Edited by Vulpine Victor
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vulpine Victor said:

Let’s face it, whatever term you use will upset someone. It would seem that some actively look for something to complain about. It reminds me of the 1970s film, “Every home should have one”, starring Marty Feldman and Julie Ege, retitled  “Think dirty” in the USA. In the film a group of Mary Whitehouse devoteès sit watching films and TV  looking for rude or non acceptable words being used. One of the group says, “I counted 12 bastards!” She was corrected by her friend who said, No dear, there were only 11 bastards, you must have misheard bedstead.” “I’d dear” said the First Lady “I wondered what a brass bastard was!”        Surely what is really important is the intent in the word used and does anyone on FT think the term was ever meant to be anything denigrating.In hindsight the best thing would have been to use the player or players names. But then all our younger members wouldn’t know what the Red Star fans disliked, it could have been that they had been to Leicester on holiday and hated it. Or it was a response to NATO killing Serbs in the Fighting following the break up of Yugoslavia.

People do not get upset whatever term is used.  Offence can occasionally be caused accidentally.  If offence is caused , future language use can be modified.

The original poster of the term has been measured in their response.  It is clear , no offence was intended.

It seems that you are implying that the Red Star fan's behaviour may have been reasonable.

No, not at all. Racism is never justified. Politics should be kept out of sport as far as possible. I do think that a large part of the abuse by the Serbian fans was a result of the events in the Balkans in the recent past. Not reasonable but understandable. You still get negative comments on FT regarding the Germans and French and the UK hasn’t been at war with them for 75 and 205 years!

1) There are a few things I would enjoy more than Spurs getting beat by a Bulgarian team in Europa League qualifying.

2)  One of the things I would enjoy more is Spurs losing to any team in the final game of the playoff qualifying stage after 6 long, emotionally draining and maybe more violent than should be Europa League qualifying games -- hopefully after flying coach to Astana at some point.

3) Does anyone know the likely pots of the teams that have already qualified? Or is it completely up in the air until the final qualifying stages (considering the teams that enter the competition at that stage.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

1) There are a few things I would enjoy more than Spurs getting beat by a Bulgarian team in Europa League qualifying.

2)  One of the things I would enjoy more is Spurs losing to any team in the final game of the playoff qualifying stage after 6 long, emotionally draining and maybe more violent than should be Europa League qualifying games -- hopefully after flying coach to Astana at some point.

3) Does anyone know the likely pots of the teams that have already qualified? Or is it completely up in the air until the final qualifying stages (considering the teams that enter the competition at that stage.)

In answer to 2, I think all qualifiers are one-legged, so it would be three games for Spurs. Fully get your point though! Bulgaria, and I think Romania potentially in the 3rd Qualifying round for them too.

In answer to 3, it's completely up in the air bar the top few teams. There are so many possibilities of teams that could still qualify (drop down from CL qualifiers, get through EL qualifiers etc.). The more qualifying rounds that are completed, the more of an idea of pots we will get. By the time we get to final playoff round, pots should be fairly stable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

In answer to 2, I think all qualifiers are one-legged, so it would be three games for Spurs. Fully get your point though! Bulgaria, and I think Romania potentially in the 3rd Qualifying round for them too.

Damn! Forgot about that! Damn you Covid!

It is up to you, lesser European sides, to get 180 minutes of hacks, kicks and elbows into these games!

On 14/09/2020 at 08:10, Vulpine Victor said:

As you are all much better informed than me perhaps you can confirm when the term “coloured” became racist? 1980? 1990? 2000? 2010?  or 2020?  Perhaps you should inform the NAACP, (National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People). You obviously label them as racists, which is quite interesting. In the interests of political correctness you should ask the group NWA to change their name and stop being racist too.

I got all excited to read about Europa League and was greeted with this pile of steaming trash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Losers of tonight's 3 Champions League games are into the Europa group stage.

Couldnt complain about getting any of those 6 really, they are either relatively close, glamorous or winnable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vulpine Victor said:

Not as excited as I was to hear Donald relate how the American revolutionary forces surrounded the airports to stop the British using aeroplanes against them.

Can’t figure how if this could have any less to do with me or your trash post, pal. Take a nap. 

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

Why does everyone want a glamorous tie? Let’s just have winnable ties so we can progress please. 

I've always thought this. 

Have the most winnable ties early doors and you'll get your glamorous tie further down the competition anyway.

• Like 3