Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Perspective

Just now, tom27111 said:

You're right, but it is what it is. 

Injuries and suspension have had a massive impact.

The Dawson equaliser at Watford was massive.

But we're still in a great position as a club.

We lost it after the Brighton game imo. Ricardo was the only injury then. Of course injuries have made it harder to rectify what has gone wrong, but the damage had already been done before the break. 

• Like 1

We aren't one of the big 6.

It's arguable whether we match the likes of Everton, Newcastle, villa or west ham in terms of size. 

But this season we were the fifth best team in the league finishing above spurs, arsenal and others.

It's still a great achievement however we achieved it.

• Like 1

At the end of the season the table doesn't lie.

Our first eleven is top  quality, but what we've seen is when  we lose a couple of players we look ordinary, particularly in creating chances.

I expected a tight game, but each team had 3 shots on target in the whole game, we scored none, they scored two.

Two more individual errors cost us a draw, but we didn't look like we were going to score if we played til midnight

Man utd bought fernandez in january and he's transformed them.
We thought we had enough depth and didn't strengthen, and we've been shown up in the second half of the season.

We've lost 3 key players to injury, and both central defenders to red cards.

i have Evans down as my player of the season as well

i want to be positive but it's such a disappointment.

we need to buy quality attacking players or we're going to be lower half of the table next season

Edited by Swiss_tony
  • Like 1

Look I'm fine with perspective and we have come along way, but i really don't get this mindset in relentlessly just turning off your feelings after a match and saying "well europa league is good aint it". Like how are you not FUMING, I'm so baffled it's unreal, it's winding my up more than united fans

• Like 1

Seeing Spurs celebrate getting a place below is helps with the perspective. 
Shame about the injuries this season. I think we’d have got third without them, but we didn’t have any injuries all season when we won the league so have to take the rough with the smooth. I’m gutted and philosophical. We’re we have ended up is a great achievement. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Yeah, it hurts.

Yeah, it's disappointing after having such a lead.

But for those, like me, who were there during the David Pleat years and the depths of League 1, this ain't bad.

There's 92 clubs in the league pyramid, you'd only swap places with 4 of them.

The table never lies.

everything is relative though, we didn't have the 4th highest paid manager in the league (but a flasher)

we hadn't won the League 4 years ago

we didn't have a squad that was in the top 8 highest earners.

It wasn’t even a disappointing end to the season. It was a disastrous start and end to the second half of the season. Premier League aside we had a great chance in both cups aswell and we shat ourselves.

Also for those only looking at the second half of the season, you can't ignore the first half. We won 8 in a row, were the best team in the league till December but a few defeats and the big one being the defeat in the cup game vs villa has impacted the confidence of the players. It wasn't free flowing football after that game for the rest of the season and we've got to find a way to play like that again. 

20 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Yeah, it hurts.

Yeah, it's disappointing after having such a lead.

But for those, like me, who were there during the David Pleat years and the depths of League 1, this ain't bad.

There's 92 clubs in the league pyramid, you'd only swap places with 4 of them.

The table never lies.

I was there in the Pleat days and before, but this is a different era and a different Leicester City, we have never been backed before by such good owners.

The reality is we was certainties for CL, and we blew it, the question you have to ask is why?

Yes I maybe feel a little selfish, but the reality is I’m gutted because of the collapse, we should of been in the top 4.

• Like 1

Just now, dayday said:

I was there in the Pleat days and before, but this is a different era and a different Leicester City, we have never been backed before by such good owners.

The reality is we was certainties for CL, and we blew it, the question you have to ask is why?

Yes I maybe feel a little selfish, but the reality is I’m gutted because of the collapse, we should of been in the top 4.

Totally agree, but look where we've come from.

Like i said, don't want an argument with anyone, maybe let's have this conversation in a few days.

But being a fan from the Pleat era, this couldn't be in your wildest dreams.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

We've blown a massive opportunity, I'm not denying that, but if you remember the dark days, this is still a hell of an achievement. 

If Man City finished outside the top 6 this year would that be ok seeing as they had to beat Gillingham on penalties to get into the old second division twenty years ago?

I'd have taken this at the start of the season for sure, I'd have definitely taken it 15 years ago, but times change, squads change, expectations change. As you say we've blown it - it is just very raw right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobHawk said:

Nah **** you dude that's bollocks. 

Realism doesn't make anyone a loser. 

Delusions of grandeur is something that's been aimed at our fanbase before and **** me if it isn't true again. 

I'm gutted we didn't win today, and I want better from my team but I also recognise it takes time and there's ups and downs in every journey. Today is a down just like deeney day, but we came back stronger the next season and that is now what's important for this team and Brendan. 

Fifth is fine if it's a building block, a stepping stone to being up there regularly. 

If it's a one season wonder then it's disastrous. So I'd argue you are the loser for completely missing the bigger picture.

Oh fvck off.

As we begin to analyse and digest this more, maybe we will conclude the squad didn’t quite have the legs to get over the line in the end.

Our current injury list and indeed injuries to other key players at the turn of the year possibly indicate that our electric start to the season took its toll and we just didn’t have enough quality in back up to carry us through to Champions League football.

Indeed, ironically the enforced three quarter season break probably did ourselves no favours either.

If you’re carrying an injury they can be managed week in week out in certain circumstances. That’s much harder to do during an enforced absence.

But we should still take pride in what this club has done this season, given when we look back 18 months we were going in a much more worrying direction under Puel.

There are many reasons to look on the positive - and Europa League football might be a blessing in disguise.

It’s demands on the squad will certainly be a lot less - win our home games and we should get to the knock out stages - and next season is likely to be a funny one given there will be some repercussions for all sides from the difficulties of this season.

Those difficulties are likely to extend to the transfer market too - with finance and the architecture of conducting transfer business going to be an unknown quantity initially, plus a short time frame to arrange deals so that players can bed in for pre-season.

To me, that means now is not the time for a radical overhaul - I think we’d do well to get 2 strong first team additions in before things kick off again - so we will need to trust in the players that got us this far and hope that prospects like Barnes, Thomas and Justin use their initial experience of this season to kick on to new levels.

Indeed, if these 3 show any sign of the promise they’ve shown next season, they could be as good as 3 new signings in themselves.

So to sign off - take the positives and suppress the negatives. This is a world slowly losing its shit for obvious reasons, so to be down on your football team as well despite achieving something quite remarkable in the round will only make things that much more depressing - after all, we have once again finished above Spurs in the table!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shailen said:

Also for those only looking at the second half of the season, you can't ignore the first half. We won 8 in a row, were the best team in the league till December but a few defeats and the big one being the defeat in the cup game vs villa has impacted the confidence of the players. It wasn't free flowing football after that game for the rest of the season and we've got to find a way to play like that again. 

It hasn’t been free flowing since the Norwich home game

2 minutes ago, dayday said:

It hasn’t been free flowing since the Norwich home game

That was a bad performance but I think the Villa game was where it all started to go. wrong imo. Its bound to impact the players confidence

6 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Best you got? Do one loser

You're happy with missing out on the CL under the banner of "perspective" and you're calling me the loser.

Happy with 24 points from 22 games and calling me the loser. 

Happy with chucking 2 chances of Wembley, and calling me the loser.