Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Perspective

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Any irons in the fire, AF? Going to get busy almost immediately surely with such a quick turnaround between now and pre-season. 

Just ****ing delighted I've got no football for 50 days, restart has been horrendous.

And based on what brendan said today.....wingerssssss.

Still think we need a horribke **** of a midfielder. Send hamza on loan for a year, hes not that yet.

5 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Well, if you need to ask lol

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

My bad, 12/13

I wouldn't call missing a penalty and conceding on the counter attack bottling it personally. Anything can happen in one game. Unless you were talking about the end of season results?

This was a sustained period of results where we've been poor, even against teams who have nothing to play for.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I wouldn't call missing a penalty and conceding on the counter attack bottling it personally. Anything can happen in one game. Unless you were talking about the end of season results?

This was a sustained period of results were we've been poor, even against teams who have nothing to play for.

You don't remember us being clear by a mile and losing a load of games from Jan/Feb and people wanting Pearson out? 

15 minutes ago, Eskay said:

Our 5th year back in the big time and we have broken the top 6 twice. 

I'm happy. F**k it. We ain't playing Tranmere next year. 

You’re right.... disappointment over. Anyway, who wants to play champions league in front of empty stadiums.... let’s do it properly next year when it matters...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This was a sustained period of results where we've been poor, even against teams who have nothing to play for.

You know what, we're all disappointed and upset, but compare this to where we were 10 years ago.

I get what you're saying, I really do.

Try and have a good night everyone :thumbup:

Guest ttfn

The first thing to say is that the OP is absolutely right and at face value it’s been a fantastic season.

I might be in the minority but where we finish in a given season is largely irrelevant to me. 

I don’t live or work in Leicester; I go to the football with my brother and my dad, it’s something we do together, it’s a sense of occasion and something for us to do as a family. One day I hope my son is interested enough to come along too*. Really my experience of watching football is a series of 90 minutes strung together over a short time frame - I’m lucky if I can make sense of it beyond 6-10 games at a time because really my enjoyment is about going to the match rather than any wider narrative.

In the 20 years I’ve had a season ticket we’ve been relegated from the Premier League (twice) and the Championship, suffered play-off agony twice, won 3 divisions and played in the Champions League. I was at the Britannia Stadium, Vicarage Road and the Calderon. I’ve seen as much as you could realistically (and then some) hope to see as a football fan in that time. We all have.

All I want when I go to a game or watch us play is a team to be proud of. At times today, with Justin excelling in keeping Rashford quiet, Albrighton flying into tackles and Tielemans quietly keeping things ticking over, I felt that sense of pride. 

But on too many occasions this season that pride has not been there. It’s not about winning or losing - I’m not sure I felt especially proud of us beating Southampton 9-0 for example. Maybe I’m of an age now where football doesn’t mean what it used to mean to me but I look at this team and I don’t see anything there to be proud of. I see a team that lacks basic characteristics that you associate with Leicester sides - there’s no personality or courage in this team. It’s devoid of leadership on and off the pitch. It’s a team that doesn’t show up when it counts and the moment today which really summed it up was leaving our least technically gifted player with no passing options at a crucial time in the game.

In 10 years’ time when somebody asks me what my favourite seasons were there is no

way this is even going to be in the top 10. I had more fun and felt more of a sense of pride watching Sven’s band of merry loanees passing Derby off the park in 2010/11 than I did this season. 

Success for me is not about the destination it’s about the journey. And it’s about who you’re on that journey with. Is this squad likeable? How many of those not here when we won the title are going to be fondly remembered in 5-10 years? Ndidi, Evans, Ricardo - is that it? Never back in the League One or Championship days (apart from perhaps the odd bad ‘un under Sven) did I really believe that we had players or

staff who were using us as an inconvenience on their way to the top. Now (in my opinion) the club is full of these people. Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised that when the time came to pull together as a team the management and players were unable to deliver it (although they were more than capable of grinding poor opposition into the dirt when the pressure was off).

Anyway, the bare facts are that finishing 5th is a great achievement that Leicester City Football Club should be proud of. As a supporter I’m not proud of it. I won’t look back fondly on this season for many reasons, some of which (no fans for the last 9 games because of the global pandemic) were out of the club’s control. But I will always have the pride I felt when Gradel scored that free kick at MK Dons or when we fell just short in Cardiff or Vardy scored at West Brom.

Those are the seasons and moments I’ll look back on fondly. Despite the end position this is one I’m keen to forget. And I completely understand that for some people this is great and finishing 5th is a great statement for the club and the city. As I say maybe it’s just me. I’ll be back next season!

*I turned off the TV when United made their umpteenth time wasting substitution in injury time so didn’t see the 2nd goal until long after full time. I’ve been encouraging my son toraise his arms when goals are scored (he’s a toddler). He picked a bad time to do it for the first time...

Edited by ttfn

23 minutes ago, dayday said:

I disagree, we got pumped by Man City and Liverpool and you kinda knew after then something wasn’t right, yes we got wins against West Ham and Newcastle but they practically rolled over and Newcastle had injured players, the rot already was taking place.

can you recall a game where we looked the bollocks since Christmas, I can’t 

On that great run, we pressed teams, moved the ball quickly, we stopped doing that after Christmas, was we knackered, injuries started to take its toll I don’t know.

But we have never hit them heights since, something is not right

Did the players say to the manager we carnt play at that tempo?, so many questions, and no answers 

The Man City and Liverpool games we played into their hands as we tried to go toe to toe with them. I don't think that was the start of the downfall imo. West Ham was a good performance with a significantly weakened side if I recall rightly. That was a good result. 

But I think the Villa Cup game was the last game where we fully dominated. If you remember, we totally bossed the tie and played the better football but a last minute winner for them and we lost all confidence. Since then I've seen fear creep into the team. Full backs weren't providing the overlaps as often, midfielders weren't going for the risky pass, wingers barely offering any movement.

At the start of the season I saw Perez was making those late runs into the box and Barnes would do a similar thing but something just changed afrwr that game imo. We had none of that and apart from Vardy, literally no outlet. 

There is no buttering this up whatever spin you try and put on it. We have been absolutely gutless since Christmas and we have thrown away an incredible advantage. You can't defend the implosion we have suffered. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Well I was there in the Jock Wallace days as we’re going down memory lane! 

Me too, I believed him as well when he said we'd win the first division lol , 

Edited by Webbo
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You don't remember us being clear by a mile and losing a load of games from Jan/Feb and people wanting Pearson out? 

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

You know what, we're all disappointed and upset, but compare this to where we were 10 years ago.

I get what you're saying, I really do.

Try and have a good night everyone :thumbup:

I 100% get exactly what you're saying mate, but questions need to be asked. Any team losing a 14 point advantage in 14 games, regardless of who they are, should have questions asked of them. That doesn't mean we should sack Rodgers, spend 150m this summer or change the way we play football, but slight changes may need to be made. Whether that be tactically, mentality (more positivity etc.) or spending some coin (which will happen this summer).

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I 100% get exactly what you're saying mate, but questions need to be asked. Any team losing a 14 point advantage in 14 games, regardless of who they are, should have questions asked of them. That doesn't mean we should sack Rodgers, spend 150m this summer or change the way we play football, but slight changes may need to be made. Whether that be tactically, mentality (more positivity etc.) or spending some coin (which will happen this summer).

Absolutely. Im completely with you and dont want a divided fan base.

We've fvcked up massively since xmas, unforgivabley, but we are where we are.

It's been worse :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_w said:

We finished 5th in the top flight. If we try to do too much to fix this because it's 'not good enough' we'll be back in the Championship before you know it. There's really no need to have a meltdown over a bad run, we have a young squad with some exceptionally talented young footballers, who still have a lot to learn. Of course they do. But it's overall far from 'not good enough'.

I'll look forward to an improvement next season then!! The fact is that since Game 3 we have never been outside the top 3 until the "business" end of the season and we've come up short.

Just now, David Hankey said:

I'll look forward to an improvement next season then!! The fact is that since Game 3 we have never been outside the top 3 until the "business" end of the season and we've come up short.

Okay. Another fact is it's the 5th highest finish in our 136 year history.

I really don't like this - "but look at how far we've come since league 1" attitude. It's about the here and now! Can you see Man City fans saying "oh look how far we've come since before we had money, we should be happy with 2nd?" - No - they want first and nothing less. If Liverpool had blown it and finished 2nd would they have said "oh were getting close now, we haven't won it in 30 years so there's always next year?" - No. 

Its about having a forward thinking attitude. We need to strive to be constantly better. That's how to achieve our dreams and Vichais dream. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hejammy said:

I really don't like this - "but look at how far we've come since league 1" attitude. It's about the here and now! Can you see Man City fans saying "oh look how far we've come since before we had money, we should be happy with 2nd?" - No - they want first and nothing less. If Liverpool had blown it and finished 2nd would they have said "oh were getting close now, we haven't won it in 30 years so there's always next year?" - No. 

Its about having a forward thinking attitude. We need to strive to be constantly better. That's how to achieve our dreams and Vichais dream. 

But you can have a forward thinking attitude whilst also remembering your 'roots' as such. The shite you had to go through to appreciate the good times now i.e. playing in Europe for the 2nd time in 4 seasons after being out of the Premier League for 10 years some time before that.

The comparison with Man City is harsh on us. They've been bankrolled with oil money and most fans these days wouldn't even remember the time before their money cos they were probably supporting Chelsea lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

But you can have a forward thinking attitude whilst also remembering your 'roots' as such. The shite you had to go through to appreciate the good times now i.e. playing in Europe for the 2nd time in 4 seasons after being out of the Premier League for 10 years some time before that.

The comparison with Man City is harsh on us. They've been bankrolled with oil money and most fans these days wouldn't even remember the time before their money cos they were probably supporting Chelsea lol 

I agree we shouldn't forget our roots. But how far do we go. As with any sport or life in general its about the here and now. No matter where you were and what you've done in the past you will be judged for what you are doing now. Like others have said. If we were 12th most of the season and had a blinder since lockdown and finished 5th that would absolutely amazing. The form we have had since Xmas is nothing short of abysmal and quite honestly worrying 

Edited by hejammy

6 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I think you also have to be realistic with your expectations. And I do know that we could have realistically finished 3rd this season, but with the resources we have versus other teams in the league, 5th is a big achievement in of itself. We don't have the squad to cope with the injuries we've had, or to be able to change things up massively when a player is doing poorly. We just don't, and we aren't in a financial position to have that without doing some absolutely miraculous transfer deals. Competing at the level we are is a huge achievement, and if people moan too much we'll drive away the staff and players that have us here, and be back to the level we were for most of our history.

It is all relative.  Relative to Christmas time, 5th is a massive under achievement.  Relative to the start of the season, it’s great.

I think we’ve blown it and I don’t expect us anywhere near CL next season as I expect the current top 4 plus Spurs and Arsenal all to strengthen.   

I’ll judge Rodgers on whether he can pick the team up from this and freshen the side up where it needs to.

• Like 1

The issue with ‘perspective’ in this case is it’s rose-tinting some very troubling and pervasive issues. 

“But if we were crap for the first half of the season and had got up to fifth we’d consider it a success”

Yes, we would, because in that scenario the club would have shown growth. In that scenario we’ve had evolved and we would have an in form side looking to kick on next season.

But unfortunately, that’s not the reality is it? 

The reality is we’ve not been consistently good, or even consistently average, since December. Every big game this season we’ve flopped, and that includes a two-legged semi in the League Cup against an absolutely abysmal Villa and an FA Cup Quarter Final against a Chelsea and were awful on the day. We lost 4-1 to arguably the weakest team we’ve played on the day. 

The manager looks totally unbothered and it seems to be rubbing off on players who look either just as bored or frustrated at the total capitulation around them.

And we have a two month break to try and remedy that and fill the massive holes in the squad in a transfer window that may be massively burdened by the current non-football climate. 

I want to believe in the squad but that was testing in February. Now I’m not sure we’ll even get out of our Europa group or be in the top half. 

I want us to come back hungry and better for what’s happened but the reality is, it’s extremely bleak at the moment without massive changes to the squad and the manager’s entire outlook.

Edited by Finnaldo

1 hour ago, KFS said:

Any irons in the fire, AF? Going to get busy almost immediately surely with such a quick turnaround between now and pre-season. 

Everyone seems to be talking down our spending but not realising one of the key things holding us back was how much we were spending on average players....

Kingy has gone thats +2m

Mendy is going thats +2.5m

Silva and slimani being allowed to go on frees +8m

Kapustka likely to go +1.5m

Then there's still james (2m), amartey (1m), ghezzal (2m). 

Personally think there's some headroom on the wages and think we're likely to see some money spent on wages - I don't think you'll have to spend that high to get quality this summer.