Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

David Brooks

Here is the full article: 

Brendan Rodgers says selling Ben Chilwell to Chelsea was needed to help Leicester reshape squad

'The money is there and will go back into the squad... There are opportunities now to bring someone else in,' Rodgers said of the £50m sale

By John Percy11 September 2020 • 10:30pm

Brendan Rodgers has admitted that Ben Chilwell’s £50 million sale to Chelsea was required to raise funds for reshaping his Leicester squad.

Chilwell completed a move to Stamford Bridge last month and Rodgers is now weighing up an offer for St-Etienne defender Wesley Fofana with the money.

Leicester’s finances for transfers have taken a hit from the Covid-19 pandemic, with the club owned by duty free giant King Power, while missing out on the Champions League on the final day last season cost them around £40 million.

Rodgers is preparing for the extra demands of the Europa League this season, and also has an interest in Bournemouth's Wales international David Brooks as he bids to bring "invention" to his squad.

Funds will be limited, yet Chilwell’s sale will provide Rodgers with some scope in the transfer window, while fringe players including Islam Slimani, Adrien Silva and Rachid Ghezzal will also be offloaded to make more cash available.

Rodgers said: “Ben has gone to join a great club and was brilliant for me in my time here, and for us the money is there and will go back into the squad.

“There are opportunities now to bring someone else in. We will look to get players who can help us continue to improve. 

“Across the board I think there’s many teams where the possibilities have changed because of the pandemic. There is no denying that the market does change for us.”

Rodgers signed Atalanta defender Timothy Castagne last week and is hopeful of agreeing a deal with St-Etienne for centre-half Fofana, 19, ahead of next weekend.

Brooks, the attacking midfielder, is another key target but a move is being held up by the Championship club's valuation.

At this stage Leicester would have to break their transfer record, which was smashed last season with the £32 million capture of Youri Tielemans, to sign Brooks, 23, with the price believed to be well over that amount.

Though Rodgers has a number of wingers already at the club, including Ayoze Perez, Harvey Barnes, Demarai Gray and Marc Albrighton, the Leicester manager frequently demanded more goals and assists last season.

Leicester finished fifth in the Premier League in 2019/20 and begin their campaign at West Brom on Sunday.

James Maddison is set to be included in the squad after surgery on his hip at the end of last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fightforever said:

Yeah too many players on the books hopefully once their contracts run out we will have more power in the market

Looks like bottom half finish for us then , all our best players will want to leave to play European football after this season

Good player but that's an insane amount to pay for him given his injury record after having one decent season in the league. With the article coming from Percy though you know that means the interest is 100% genuine.

We do sorely need invention in the squad though. @North Leeds Fox shout for Rashica above is a decent call actually. Can play with either foot and got 8 goals / 5 assists in the Bundesliga last season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

Unless we get 3 guaranteed starters, 3 is nowhere near enough IMHO. 

Problem is if assume we spend 20-30m net a season, then selling Chilwell means we can only buy two more players after Castagne. Fofana looks like another 25m gone, so that's 25m left to spend, and that's what a decent winger is going to cost us.

As a result it's hard to see much past mid table plus semi competitive in the cups this season.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Problem is if assume we spend 20-30m net a season, then selling Chilwell means we can only buy two more players after Castagne. Fofana looks like another 25m gone, so that's 25m left to spend, and that's what a decent winger is going to cost us.

As a result it's hard to see much past mid table plus semi competitive in the cups this season.

I really am starting to fear for us this season and that's not me being alarmist or negative. All that hard work could come to nothing thanks to a hideous second half of the last season and an almost lack of enthusiasm in the end to try and finish 4th, and of course the Covid blow to our owners whose business relies on international travel to a great degree. I sense a deflating footballing year ahead. 

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

I really am starting to fear for us this season and that's not me being alarmist or negative. All that hard work could come to nothing thanks to a hideous second half of the last season and an almost lack of enthusiasm in the end to try and finish 4th, and of course the Covid blow to our owners whose business relies on international travel to a great degree. I sense a deflating footballing year ahead. 

Promise me that you'll never volunteer to man the phones at The Samaritans

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Me too!  The loss of form still startles me and the lack of new talent gives me the impression that if we don't get off to a decent start, there could be trouble ahead.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Yep. With you on this.

• Like 1