Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

David Brooks

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But it's about managing those expectations. I've said countless times before that, if you take the league win out of the equation, we have improved year on year, going all the way back to the start of Pearsons 2nd spell with us, and arguably before that with a few stutters along the way. Success isn't an overnight thing. Those ambitions that you speak of are part of a longer, more sustainable plan. Our aim should be, and probably is, to continue to cement our place as a top half premier league side while making small strides and protecting our future. This team continues to do that. It would appear that a lot of our fans want immediate success, but that  way rarely happens in real life. Success is gained by stability, smart thinking, hard work and determination. We are not a giant of football who can afford to take the risk by spending £100million on 2 players, we're trying, and are, a team that builds. £100million has to get us 4 or 5 players. 

No one is saying that any of us doesn't have ambitions, it's just that some see it differently to others. This is our longest run in the top flight since the premier league began, a run that has seen our 2 highest finishes. We need to enjoy this period of our history, we need to look forward to the future, but its not a negative mindset to remain grounded and a little humble 

Funny how you precipitously equate raised expectations as being synonymous with "spending 100 million on 2 players", the one thing that was neither mentioned nor implied in my post nor something that our own experience as a club achieving our 2 best-ever showings in the Premiership would lead us to believe that we have to do to. Enough of the Strawman Argument, because spending sensibly and raised expectations are not mutually-exclusive (albeit what constitutes "sensibly" is a moving target).

Nonetheless, if you spend 100 million on a training facility, pay your coach a reported 8 million yearly and invested considerable sums in expanding your stadium, but fail to commensurately invest in the on-field playing staff then I am not sure you quite understand the most critical component of a football club. Without any personal privity to the ownership, would be shocked if they would tolerate over the long-term shelling out 8 million on a coach each year just so we can survive in the Premiership or just be a comfortably mid-table club. 

Btw, the other things that are not mutually-exclusive are ambition and humility. However, a seminal lesson that I've learnt about life is that as one's circumstances change it is sometimes inevitable that some of one's old habits and even company may inevitably be left behind. Have a good weekend. 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Funny how you precipitously equate raised expectations as being synonymous with "spending 100 million on 2 players", the one thing that was neither mentioned nor implied in my post nor something that our own experience as a club achieving our 2 best-ever showings in the Premiership would lead us to believe that we have to do to. Enough of the Strawman Argument, because spending sensibly and raised expectations are not mutually-exclusive (albeit what constitutes "sensibly" is a moving target).

Nonetheless, if you spend 100 million on a training facility, pay your coach a reported 8 million yearly and invested considerable sums in expanding your stadium, but fail to commensurately invest in the on-field playing staff then I am not sure you quite understand the most critical component of a football club. Without any personal privity to the ownership, would be shocked if they would tolerate over the long-term shelling out 8 million on a coach each year just so we can survive in the Premiership or just be a comfortably mid-table club. 

Btw, the other things that are not mutually-exclusive are ambition and humility. However, a seminal lesson that I've learnt about life is that as one's circumstances change it is sometimes inevitable that some of one's old habits and even company may inevitably be left behind. Have a good weekend. 

Well.........:whistle:

Someone doesn't like it if someone else has different perspective on life do they.......:ph34r:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OhYesNdidi said:

I'd expect Leicester City to be finishing above Villa or Leeds.

Because they’ve been badly mismanaged and we have been very well managed. If they got good owners who make far more good decisions then they do bad, then they are better placed than us to do well because of their fan base and stadium sizes. Same goes for the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday.

Thats why the infrastructure investment is so important. Because that along with on fields success elevates us.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But it's about managing those expectations. I've said countless times before that, if you take the league win out of the equation, we have improved year on year, going all the way back to the start of Pearsons 2nd spell with us, and arguably before that with a few stutters along the way. Success isn't an overnight thing. Those ambitions that you speak of are part of a longer, more sustainable plan. Our aim should be, and probably is, to continue to cement our place as a top half premier league side while making small strides and protecting our future. This team continues to do that. It would appear that a lot of our fans want immediate success, but that  way rarely happens in real life. Success is gained by stability, smart thinking, hard work and determination. We are not a giant of football who can afford to take the risk by spending £100million on 2 players, we're trying, and are, a team that builds. £100million has to get us 4 or 5 players. 

No one is saying that any of us doesn't have ambitions, it's just that some see it differently to others. This is our longest run in the top flight since the premier league began, a run that has seen our 2 highest finishes. We need to enjoy this period of our history, we need to look forward to the future, but its not a negative mindset to remain grounded and a little humble 

Personally, to the extent that the current relative rate of investment continues, I would be disappointed if from here on out we are not pushing for European places (and even if we fall short, we should be in the conversation) each season. I would make an exception for this (20/21) season, because the impact of Covid has made a lot things about football rather weird and unpredictable. But once football gets back to a semblance of "normality" if we are not earnestly fighting for European places, it would be sorely disappointing. We may have started as a small provincial clubside, with a mainly local provincial fanbase but we are becoming a bigger and relatively more global brand and part of that metamorphosis (for better and/or for worse) has been expectations.      

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Well.........:whistle:

Someone doesn't like it if someone else has different perspective on life do they.......:ph34r:

The cheap sophistry of Strawman Argument yet again.

You stated your perspective and I stated mine. Different perspectives are the very foundation of a DISCUSSION forum.

17 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He’s not worth £40m. Walk away. 

We won’t pay it .....they will be assessing their financial situation. Given their small capacity, they won’t suffer from no crowds as much as others.   we have a few options in this position and will take the best option financially.......maybe this was the crux of Brendan’s dig about ‘quality’ in the squad yesterday .......

John Percy seems to think we still have an interest in Brooks to bring "invention" to his squad.However in the same article he mentions we are £40 million down after dropping out of Champions League. I cannot see us taking the risk as Brooks has had injury problems but I think he is an excellent player.

I think there is an assumption by some that we will be OK this year if we don't invest much because we should still manage a top half position with the squad we have.I think you need to  be ambitious to stand still in this league and we have not even covered the basics in this window by sorting the defence out.

1 hour ago, NaijaFox said:

This reads like a work rant delivered across a desk from a senior manager last thing on a Friday. #flashbacks

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Danny280995 said:

Its called business, get much as you can out of a player, if not keep the player a win win 

and then the player goes into a sulk or is demotivated, moral goes down and he has a bad season and his value drops considerably...

Not Always a win win

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, leftsideoverhere said:

Arsenal, a much 'bigger' club, with deeper pockets and more resilience, has just made a whole bunch of staff redundant, citing the effects of the pandemic

And then offered Aubameyang a ridiculous contract exceeding the likes of £200/300K a week. They've used the background of the pandemic to restructure and remove those they no longer wanted around from the Wenger era.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

And then offered Aubameyang a ridiculous contract exceeding the likes of £200/300K a week. They've used the background of the pandemic to restructure and remove those they no longer wanted around from the Wenger era.

I think it might be closer to £400k a week! I think he might be getting more than Ozil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

If you were on furlough, would you then go out and buy a brand new car and bigger house?

I think in normal times they would have invested in the team. Dont forget, their business relies on travel and people at airports mainly, this is not happening as much at the moment so cashflow would have been massively impacted. Also not to mention the loss in revenue on match days.

My guess is that they're making sure the can ride this difficult time out and then when cash flows return, they can invest again. It's about balancing the books at the moment to make sure the club is sustainable and can come out the other side on steady footing. Need to think long term, you can enter a spiral of debt that might just make the situation worse. Other clubs maybe relying on debt to pay debt. 

Am I frustrated about the lack of transfers...yes. Am I worried about our season...a little. But we need to also be realistic.

Trust the owners/board...they're not stupid. They have got us this far, I'm sure they'll see us through this. 

..we are self sustainable!!!

The owners are not putting their money into the club. Lack of gate receipts and sales of merchandise impacts the club. not king power money.

• Like 3