Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

David Brooks

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

I really am starting to fear for us this season and that's not me being alarmist or negative. All that hard work could come to nothing thanks to a hideous second half of the last season and an almost lack of enthusiasm in the end to try and finish 4th, and of course the Covid blow to our owners whose business relies on international travel to a great degree. I sense a deflating footballing year ahead. 

That's the general mood on the forum at the moment. I think it might be a case of just trying our best to get through the season unscathed until the pandemic is over and crowds are allowed back, and I think that's going to apply to most teams throughout the country. A few wins with good performances can turn everything around, but I share your sentiment as it stands.

The problem is I think our hands are tied and it's not a case of not wanting to improve the squad, but not being able to - the club have admitted selling Chilwell was done to free up funds. These are extraordinary circumstances we are living through so I can totally understand these issues.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's the general mood on the forum at the moment. I think it might be a case of just trying our best to get through the season unscathed until the pandemic is over and crowds are allowed back, and I think that's going to apply to most teams throughout the country. A few wins with good performances can turn everything around, but I share your sentiment as it stands.

The problem is I think our hands are tied and it's not a case of not wanting to improve the squad, but not being able to - the club have admitted selling Chilwell was done to free up funds. These are extraordinary circumstances we are living through so I can totally understand these issues.

This really worries me too. We have relied heavily on fan power over the last few seasons, it was clear after the return we were one of the teams that particularly struggled with the lack of a crowd and the way Covid is going at the moment It really wouldn't surprise me if we don't see fans in grounds until the back end of the coming season, at the earliest.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Problem is if assume we spend 20-30m net a season, then selling Chilwell means we can only buy two more players after Castagne. Fofana looks like another 25m gone, so that's 25m left to spend, and that's what a decent winger is going to cost us.

As a result it's hard to see much past mid table plus semi competitive in the cups this season.

We are Leicester City. For over 90 per cent of our 130 plus years of existence we have not been a top half or top 6 top division club. Yet somehow now most fans expect us to be there season upon season. Need I say that it was only just over a decade ago we were 3rd division. Let's not get carried away. There are 7 teams in this league (the big 6 and Everton) much bigger than us, and arguably, in terms of size and history the likes of Villa and Leeds much bigger too. Mid table Premier league is not to be taken for granted or sniffed at. Can you imagine in the days of Micky Adams, Craig Levein, Gary Megson if you were told that in a few years fans would be moaning at the prospect of going into a European campaign having finished 5th worried they might only be mid table next season. I'd take mid table prem every year, anything else is a bonus. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I always thought 3 players would be where we'd go.
LB, CB and winger of some sort. 

There's so much uncertainty in the market and the money, realistically, isn't there. 

Brooks is decent but not £30 million decent. That's madness, especially with his injury record. 

Completely disagree. Did you see him the season before last? He was incredible. He's 23, full international goalscoring skilful winger with prem experience. 30m is about right I'd say at least. He's had one bad injury that doesn't mean he will be constantly injured from here on. 

3 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

We are Leicester City. For over 90 per cent of our 130 plus years of existence we have not been a top half or top 6 top division club. Yet somehow now most fans expect us to be there season upon season. Need I say that it was only just over a decade ago we were 3rd division. Let's not get carried away. There are 7 teams in this league (the big 6 and Everton) much bigger than us, and arguably, in terms of size and history the likes of Villa and Leeds much bigger too. Mid table Premier league is not to be taken for granted or sniffed at. Can you imagine in the days of Micky Adams, Craig Levein, Gary Megson if you were told that in a few years fans would be moaning at the prospect of going into a European campaign having finished 5th worried they might only be mid table next season. I'd take mid table prem every year, anything else is a bonus. 

Correct to a certain degree of course, but I think its more the knowing that the last 18 months prior to Covid Lockdown it was starting to look like we were pushing all the buttons and getting ready to take the next steps and generally continue an uphill trajectory. All of that has effectively been scuppered, for various reasons. Already a sense of 'what could have been' setting in which right now feels like a bitter pill to swallow. 

Edited by SecretPro

23 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Good player but that's an insane amount to pay for him given his injury record after having one decent season in the league. With the article coming from Percy though you know that means the interest is 100% genuine.

We do sorely need invention in the squad though. @North Leeds Fox shout for Rashica above is a decent call actually. Can play with either foot and got 8 goals / 5 assists in the Bundesliga last season.

I can't imagine Brooks will be happy with Bournemouth wanting that kind of money for him and out pricing him so he can spend at least a year in the Championship. Any player who gets relegated and has a chance to leave for a PL club wants to almost without exception. At 23 he won't want to be spending such a key year outside of it, look at Butland who went from England No1 to a nobody because he didn't get his move. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Heymister2015 said:

If things are so tight! I really would sell Iheanacho as well to fund a deal for edouard. Slimani/silva too to free up wages. 

Agree, easier said than done to shift the latter 2. Can’t see us getting a fee for them tbh, their wages are so high no other teams that might be interested can afford them

8 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

I'd expect Leicester City to be finishing above Villa or Leeds.

4 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Correct to a certain degree of course, but I think its more the knowing that the last 18 months prior to Covid Lockdown it was starting to look like we were pushing all the buttons and getting ready to take the next steps and generally continue an uphill trajectory. All of that has effectively been scuppered, for various reasons. Already a sense of 'what could have been' setting in which right now feels like a bitter pill to swallow. 

So we finished 5th not 3rd or 4th. If we had got champions league not much would be different, it would still be an exception not the rule. We are not equipped nor should have expectations of competing at the top. 

2 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

I'd expect Leicester City to be finishing above Villa or Leeds.

Not what I meant and you know it. I mean the sudden expectation of top 4 or 6 competition is wrong, we can't sustain it, and we are still a relatively small Premier league club. 

• Like 1