Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Adrien Silva

Being Linked to Moscow this morning.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/leicester-city-receive-adrien-silva-bid-from-spartak-moscow-30626740

It’s widely believed that the future of Leicester City midfielder Adrien Silva will be ‘sorted soon’ amid reports out of Portugal that the Foxes have received a bid for his services from Russia.

O Jogo claim that Spartak Moscow have made an attempt to bring in the 31-year-old this summer, though it’s unclear whether they are attempting to purchase the player or bring the Portugal international in on loan.

Edited by davieG
Name Changed
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sly said:

Being Linked to Moscow this morning.

https://onefootball.com/en/news/leicester-city-receive-adrien-silva-bid-from-spartak-moscow-30626740

It’s widely believed that the future of Leicester City midfielder Adrien Silva will be ‘sorted soon’ amid reports out of Portugal that the Foxes have received a bid for his services from Russia.

O Jogo claim that Spartak Moscow have made an attempt to bring in the 31-year-old this summer, though it’s unclear whether they are attempting to purchase the player or bring the Portugal international in on loan.

Actually didn't this happen last year too, not a Russian club but some other "soon to join" nonsense?

Out of all of our flops (most of which were out on loan), I somehow thought he'd be the most likely to find redemption under Rodgers, especially with a bigger squad needed next season.

Seems like that isn't going to happen though. Cut our losses and get him off the wage bill.

Pretty disastrous signing, TBH.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

For some reason Silva’s complete flop of a transfer ( inc the farcical late signing) annoys me more than any other of our expensive blunders 

Shame though. I never thought he looked that bad under Puel.

With Europe coming up, I thought he might have stayed to provide depth. 

He can't be that bad of a player. Horrid time here.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Out of all of our flops (most of which were out on loan), I somehow thought he'd be the most likely to find redemption under Rodgers, especially with a bigger squad needed next season.

Seems like that isn't going to happen though. Cut our losses and get him off the wage bill.

Pretty disastrous signing, TBH.

Agree. Such a shame. I really really wanted it to work out for him. Personally, I’d have no issue with ‘rotating’ him with substitute appearances with Praet. Would love it if he wanted to stay, and Brendan wanted him to stay to supplement the squad for the additional games.

Even when he went to Monaco he didn't really look good in Ligue 1; even Slim managed to do that! I think his time here is definitely done, not that it ever really started. I hope we can sell him rather than loan him out again.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

Seems to be this idea/ethos at the club where it's completely ok to have transfer flops because we balance it out with the ones like Mahrez, Kante and Maguire.

What astounds me more is the way that these players are completely binned without seemingly given a chance for redemption. 

It's mind boggling that we can pay £20-30m on a player and after just a few games come to the conclusion that they're no good.

It's horrendous scouting and decision making with absolutely nobody held to account! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Collymore said:

What astounds me more is the way that these players are completely binned without seemingly given a chance for redemption. 

Agreed.

Something went very wrong with this guy and I think there's probably more to it than him just not making the cut. He's a proven top international footballer, yet here has failed miserably.

We spunked £22m, dicked up the paperwork, got 17 appearances out of him and not much in the way of performances in any of those games before he was disregarded.

We'll almost certainly make a substantial loss, so he's got to be right up there with some of our worst ever signings.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Seems to be this idea/ethos at the club where it's completely ok to have transfer flops because we balance it out with the ones like Mahrez, Kante and Maguire.

It's mind boggling that we can pay £20-30m on a player and after just a few games come to the conclusion that they're no good.

It's horrendous scouting and decision making with absolutely nobody held to account! 

It's just a bad signing. Every club makes them. Our record of signings in the last 10 years is excellent, despite flops like Silva and Slimani.

I can understand this one. Silva is a player who looked good playing in the Portuguese league and national team - but just didn't suit the PL at all. The lack of time on the ball allowed to him here nullified him too much. He's just not cut out for the pace of the game here.

Let's not forget our scouting got us Mahrez for £450k, Vardy for £1m and Kante for £5.6m. Our PL-winning XI cost about £24m total. That's elite-level scouting. They're not going to get them all right, however, and a bad signing looks much worse when you're dealing in today's money at the top table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

It's just a bad signing. Every club makes them. Our record of signings in the last 10 years is excellent, despite flops like Silva and Slimani.

I can understand this one. Silva is a player who looked good playing in the Portuguese league and national team - but just didn't suit the PL at all. The lack of time on the ball allowed to him here nullified him too much. He's just not cut out for the pace of the game here.

Let's not forget our scouting got us Mahrez for £450k, Vardy for £1m and Kante for £5.6m. Our PL-winning XI cost about £24m total. That's elite-level scouting. They're not going to get them all right, however, and a bad signing looks much worse when you're dealing in today's money at the top table.

We can't live off Mahrez and Kante forever. That's scouting from 6/7 years ago now.

I still think Wilf was an extraordinary piece of business. That's a good a scouting spot as any.

More recently, Praet, Soyuncu and Benkovic have been our signings from nowhere....mixed results. Maybe a C+ for the scouting team on those. Maddison and Evans were the work of Rudkin, reading between the lines. 

Ghezzal, Ricardo and Tielemans down to Puel. 

What's disturbing is a respectable but grotesquely overpriced Perez and Bennett being the Rodgers and Congerton double act so far

Whoever approved Silva should hang

Getting Silva off the books early on in the window would be a good start to clearing out some of the dead wood. He's clearly got something about him but for a raft of reasons his time in England has been an unmitigated disaster. The delay in registration and the fact he did not get to play for Shakespeare, the manager who actually signed him, no doubt didn't help. But he also appears, based on his performances in a City shirt, to be a poor fit for either us, English football, or both. Rodgers barely even used him in pre-season last year so he's clearly done here. 

If we could recoup a nominal £5-8mil fee and get his wages off the books, that's one of the two surplus big earners - the other being Slimani - on his way. We can then chalk it down to experience and free up some capital to use on strengthening the squad, whilst Silva can get his career back on track. Russia would be a decent move for him - the likes of Bruno Alves, Danny, Joao Mario, Luis Neto and Eder have all played out there and maintained their places in the Portugal squad. Even though Portugal have some strong CM options that move would give him a decent crack at getting back in the fold and us an opportunity to recoup a fee. Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

While I agree in the main, it was a little more than a few games considering he'd been at Belvoir Drive for 3/4 months - he didn't train very well at all (despite whatever the Birch belched out in the press). There's a reason we rushed a half-fit Matty James back in early 2018.

The guy is an absolute dud I'm afraid, every club will have them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

He made 16 appearances for the club.

Maybe that was his chance at redemption and they realised he was crap and lightweight in the 6 months of training prior to making his debut, alternately maybe  the transfer situation made him loose his confidence.

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

We can't live off Mahrez and Kante forever. That's scouting from 6/7 years ago now.

I still think Wilf was an extraordinary piece of business. That's a good a scouting spot as any.

More recently, Praet, Soyuncu and Benkovic have been our signings from nowhere....mixed results. Maybe a C+ for the scouting team on those. Maddison and Evans were the work of Rudkin, reading between the lines. 

Ghezzal, Ricardo and Tielemans down to Puel. 

What's disturbing is a respectable but grotesquely overpriced Perez and Bennett being the Rodgers and Congerton double act so far

Whoever approved Silva should hang

The scout who spotted wilf, soyuncu, benkovic, silva is still the Head scout.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

The scout who spotted wilf, soyuncu, benkovic, silva is still the Head scout.

He must've had an absolute mare of a day at the office when he approved Silva

I recall being horrified when Silva minced onto the pitch v Huddersfield on his debut. Talk about little boy lost. Clear to all and sundry he was useless (and that was his best game!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1