Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Chilwell leaving

How do you feel about Chilwell leaving?  

308 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Chilwell leaving?

• Over the moon, so happy we have sold
    • Middle ground, good deal for both sides
    • Gutted, wanted him to stay

6 hours ago, bluebeau said:

50 million for Englands first choice left back?  I think Chelsea got a steal & we lost out. However, the good news this week is that Madison has signed a new contract.

Here's hoping we beat Chelsea & finish above them at the end of the season.

You'd have a better chance of getting in the Queens knicker drawer.

• Haha 1

He wasn't as bad as people make out.

Just like Fuchs isn't as good as people make out. One solid season and the rest completely average but people look back with nostalgia.

Chilwell is England's first choice left back now, regardless of competition in that position for the Country, £50m isn't much these days for a player like that. Hopefully the deal does rise to at least £60m.

I'll be happy if/when we replace him but until then we look short still in that area.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

His defensive awareness is so poor when the ball is on the right, he ball watches and loses track so often of the right sided attack that he either loses their forward runs or he's too far away to close down when it's switched. 

His pace let's him recover, he's gotten much braver in the tackle, he's scored a couple of goals and nobody on earth can fault his work rate. Plus, he's our product and an international in this country. So sure, I'd have kept him in the side given the chance. 

It was massively frustrating to see that he'd quite easily be bullied by more aggressive attackers, particularly when a ball was whipped across from the other side. 

Don't think he's that great but Lampard obviously sees something in him, which might add to his game. 

It's just the selling to your rivals bit that annoys me but, as with Harry, we just can't offer the same contracts or the chances to win things on a consistent basis. 

Should have got at least 70 mill😒

Edited by Hollyfox

29 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He wasn't as bad as people make out.

Just like Fuchs isn't as good as people make out. One solid season and the rest completely average but people look back with nostalgia.

Chilwell is England's first choice left back now, regardless of competition in that position for the Country, £50m isn't much these days for a player like that. Hopefully the deal does rise to at least £60m.

I'll be happy if/when we replace him but until then we look short still in that area.

I'm sorry, but £50m absolutely is a lot of money!

Leroy Sané, who is top class, went for less during this window.

The value of English players keeps being overstated - the only reason they should have a higher value in England is because of UEFA home-grown rules.

The difference in valuation is so stark within our team as well - Ricardo cost half of what we sold Chilwell for and he's far better.
Soyuncu is undoubtedly better than Maguire, but there is no chance his transfer value is anywhere close to £85m.

Selling English assets at a premium is fantastic business and I have no doubt we'll eventually sell Maddison and Barnes for huge profits in the future as well. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, shen said:

I'm sorry, but £50m absolutely is a lot of money!

Leroy Sané, who is top class, went for less during this window.

The value of English players keeps being overstated - the only reason they should have a higher value in England is because of UEFA home-grown rules.

The difference in valuation is so stark within our team as well - Ricardo cost half of what we sold Chilwell for and he's far better.
Soyuncu is undoubtedly better than Maguire, but there is no chance his transfer value is anywhere close to £85m.

Selling English assets at a premium is fantastic business and I have no doubt we'll eventually sell Maddison and Barnes for huge profits in the future as well. 

£50m for a young English defender? It's not a lot. Stones went for £50m and isn't a great central defender and that was at least 3 years ago now. I know English players are overpriced, which is why I wanted more and hope it rises.

But like I said, go into Europe and we can probably get a player just as good for half the price. A bit like Soyuncu.

Sane's contract was up otherwise he may have gone for me.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

£50m for a young English defender? It's not a lot. Stones went for £50m and isn't a great central defender and that was at least 3 years ago now. I know English players are overpriced, which is why I wanted more and hope it rises.

But like I said, go into Europe and we can probably get a player just as good for half the price. A bit like Soyuncu.

Sane's contract was up otherwise he may have gone for me.

£50m is £50m, regardless of what nationality the player has. It could prove especially valuable for us during this Covid pandemic.

It is a huge sum of money, even in today's market.

We absolutely rinsed Man Utd last window (world record fee for Maguire is insane) which has promptly raised expectations that we can keep being this lucky. We should honestly be thrilled that we have (had) such prime sellable assets and that they perform to such a level that the rich clubs want to (stupidly) fork out this kind of money for them.

By comparison, I was disappointed when we sold Mahrez for 'just' £60m. An award-winning and proven game-changing attacking player. That's £10m more than a solid if unspectacular left-back.

Sané might have been on his last year, but he's so good he would undoubtedly have had Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and British clubs courting him and pushing the price up. Don't forget that he represents that little extra value to Bayern as well by being home-grown.

• Like 1

Rather we would have kept him then sold him but if we replace him well then its all good. One of my worries is replacing too many English homegrown players with foreign non-homegrown players. If we get the lb from Ajax i'll be happy. 

Also see below to cheer yourself up for those who didn't want him to move lol. 

• Like 1

the age of the one club player is dead lets be honest.

Maddisons new contract just enables the club to get a fee when a club offering more wages comes in for him in the next few years

the 2016 team spirit will be hard for any non top four team to ever create ever again for me to win a league. 

its was the dying light in a greedy modern game.

12 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Rather we would have kept him then sold him but if we replace him well then its all good. One of my worries is replacing too many English homegrown players with foreign non-homegrown players. If we get the lb from Ajax i'll be happy. 

The Norwich away one is amongst the most unforgivable for me. 

I haven't seen a defender have a game that bad for us since Sean St Ledger turned up hungover at Chelsea away in the cup after a week at the races. 

Watch that goal. Just embarrassing. 

10 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Brilliant this because it reminds me of the real Ben Chilwell and his defensive awareness.

Another pants down job from LCFC 👏👏👏👏

9 minutes ago, twister said:

the age of the one club player is dead lets be honest.

Maddisons new contract just enables the club to get a fee when a club offering more wages comes in for him in the next few years

the 2016 team spirit will be hard for any non top four team to ever create ever again for me to win a league. 

its was the dying light in a greedy modern game.

And then players who stay and don't win much (like Shearer and Gerrard) just get the piss taken out of them. But staying and playing for the club they love will be bigger than winning anything else at another club.

41 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

And then players who stay and don't win much (like Shearer and Gerrard) just get the piss taken out of them. But staying and playing for the club they love will be bigger than winning anything else at another club.

Yep its funny that

Shearer who already had won the league title at blackburn choosing to play for his home town club, mocked for not winning the facup a tropthy big four have bought and kept mostly for 25 years.

I think he wins the last laugh  for me

• Like 1

Let's have it right his head was turned by the Chelsea move and all the financial rewards that come with it a months ago, no doubt they started sowing the seeds long before lockdown.

That's been reflected in his more recent performances pre-injury when to be frank he was absolute dogshit, probably distracted by his upcoming big move, culminating in his post match laughing with his to-be team mates after the FA cup game which didn't go down well.

He's been a decent player for us, suited our style of play, albeit with a lot to learn so to get £50m plus is a great deal IMO assuming we get a decent replacement.

Sad to see an academy player leave. But I feel he'd improve more elsewhere. The reluctance to pass to Barnes irked me to be honest. As far as the academy is concerned, the guy's a legend: from under 8s to the England squad and champions league football. You have to respect that. Good luck to him.

• Like 1