Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Good point, well made sir. I didn't realise they allowed a form of qualification to the major tournaments. Point still stands on the friendlies being played. 

I did go on to reference friendlies (and the Nation League but have been corrected on that point). You assumed that I was belittling other competitive international tournaments in comparison to the Euros. 

Yeah, our (Scotlands) playoff final tonight was achieved through winning our Nations league group. 

I do see where you are coming from though. Even with the rewards at stake, postponing the nations league makes sense when you see players testing positive for covid less than 24 hours after playing a game like Vida for Croatia last night. 

It doesn't eliminate the risk but it could be argued that minimising the amount of current national games, cuts the risk of players contracting and spreading the infection by at least a bit. 

If they were willing to postpone the Euros, I dont see an issue with doing the same for friendlies and the NL. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Might be a bit out there but here’s my suggestion. 

The entire calendar should have been reviewed, if UEFA were insistent on European competitions and international competitions this what I’d have done. 

Have one big international break in first week October lasting say three weeks - each group is its own bubble. Games are all played in the same local area. So for example Manchester could host a group - all games played across those three weeks and all four teams in hotels within the bubble. All other football suspended for three weeks. 

Fourth week of October and first week of November back to domestic football. 

Second week of November same again but for the group stages of the European competitions. Three weeks. Each group is hosted in a bubble. All other football suspended for three weeks. 

Return back to playing end of November. Domestic football starts again until March. 

Most safest way of doing it. Reduces travelling and risk. 

Makes WAY too much sense. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Might be a bit out there but here’s my suggestion. 

The entire calendar should have been reviewed, if UEFA were insistent on European competitions and international competitions this what I’d have done. 

Have one big international break in first week October lasting say three weeks - each group is its own bubble. Games are all played in the same local area. So for example Manchester could host a group - all games played across those three weeks and all four teams in hotels within the bubble. All other football suspended for three weeks. 

Fourth week of October and first week of November back to domestic football. 

Second week of November same again but for the group stages of the European competitions. Three weeks. Each group is hosted in a bubble. All other football suspended for three weeks. 

Return back to playing end of November. Domestic football starts again until March. 

Most safest way of doing it. Reduces travelling and risk. 

Some good ideas there. There is far too much international football played in any case. Really time there was a radical rethink on the qualifying methods for big tournaments. Personally I'd rather see smaller qualifying tournaments at  the end of seasons and reduce the number of teams in each group by making the weaker nations pre qualify. With this nations League thing it is pretty much harder not to qualify for tournaments than it is to qualify. I'd scrap international football during the main season except for one two week period.

4 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

As already noted, lots of players depend on international football for work eligibility, and so many others for visibility, reputation and marketability. Being an international can actually translate into real Euros for so many players (and even career longevity for some). 

Nonetheless, I seriously doubt that injured players (including even those with minor injuries) would insist on playing any and all international games, and neither is there any rational reason to believe that national teams would want injured players to play for them - unless in absolutely crucial competitive games. Even then, as previously noted, nations cannot compel injured players to play. The most they can do is to insist on verifying the injury.

PS: Btw, there are hardly any substantively "meaningless" friendlies, since national teams use friendlies for the same reason that clubs do - preparation for competitive games. Nonetheless, given the Covid season, common sense should have ideally kept friendlies to the barest minimum this season, even if not completely eliminated them (as there still would be a need to prepare for the Euros almost immediately post-season).   

You can only go to the well of player fitness so many times. There are currently 97 Premiership players injured and unable to play and a 50%+ increase in the number of soft tissue injuries from this time last year. These calf, hamstring, thigh and other injuries are being reasonably put down to farigue. This in turn has been put down fairly and squarely at the door of far too much football in far too little time with not enough recovery periods.

England v Ireland tonight is a good example of a meaningless game. What on earth will Gareth and the team possibly benefit from in that one? Our weakness if anything is against more elite opposition but even then, the intensity and team selection of the opposition is always going to be nothing like tournament football. Neither will there be much of a viewing public tonight because previous experience tells us that what we view is invariably a dull as ditchwater training like encounter. No one cares basically. Well perhaps Klopp does I suppose because he now finds he's without Gomez for an unspecified amount of time. In these unprecedented times I'd ban all international football, keep the Champions League perhaps because it's an elite competition with huge revenue for the clubs who have managed to get there having played a full seasons football. I'd have done away with the Europa league or made it into a knockout competition as it's little more than a European Carabao cup for me, nice to have but not a necessity with questionable monetary value. We arguably need our domestic cups for the benefit of non Premiership teams but could ban all replays this year. Too many injuries and you just end up with a very watered-down end product. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

14 minutes ago, reynard said:

Some good ideas there. There is far too much international football played in any case. Really time there was a radical rethink on the qualifying methods for big tournaments. Personally I'd rather see smaller qualifying tournaments at  the end of seasons and reduce the number of teams in each group by making the weaker nations pre qualify. With this nations League thing it is pretty much harder not to qualify for tournaments than it is to qualify. I'd scrap international football during the main season except for one two week period.

Nations League should have been scrapped. Was at the start of the competition, so wouldn't have hurt. 

Euro playoffs prioritised. Any World Cup Qualifiers reduce with traditional knockout's over two legs. 

If they want games to satisfy TV deals, do small regional competitions. For example, Home Internationals here, a Scandi Cup, a Benelux tournament. Reduce the travel and risk. 

Be innovative. 

Really they should have completely readjusted the calendar to suit the forthcoming Qatar WC 2022 which was already going to fcuk around with the calendar. 

Well, well, well... The FA are now seeking dispensation for the Iceland team to travel into the UK after their game in Denmark. This seems very hypocritical when they've effectively prevented the UK-based Danes and Swedes to play in the friendly (and the Iceland game). When suggested that the England - Iceland game should be at a neutral venue, it was deemed 'no to make sense'. This reeks of foul play!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shen said:

Well, well, well... The FA are now seeking dispensation for the Iceland team to travel into the UK after their game in Denmark. This seems very hypocritical when they've effectively prevented the UK-based Danes and Swedes to play in the friendly (and the Iceland game). When suggested that the England - Iceland game should be at a neutral venue, it was deemed 'no to make sense'. This reeks of foul play!

100% agree with you. The FA really does need a complete overhaul.

38 minutes ago, shen said:

Thought there was talk of playing in Albania?  Really they should just scrap it.

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

Thought there was talk of playing in Albania?  Really they should just scrap it.

Yep, that's the neutral venue that was suggested, but the English FA have declined.
And I don't necessarily agree it should be scrapped, but the FA should be consistent here.

Edited by shen

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

You can only go to the well of player fitness so many times. There are currently 97 Premiership players injured and unable to play and a 50%+ increase in the number of soft tissue injuries from this time last year. These calf, hamstring, thigh and other injuries are being reasonably put down to farigue. This in turn has been put down fairly and squarely at the door of far too much football in far too little time with not enough recovery periods.

England v Ireland tonight is a good example of a meaningless game. What on earth will Gareth and the team possibly benefit from in that one? Our weakness if anything is against more elite opposition but even then, the intensity and team selection of the opposition is always going to be nothing like tournament football. Neither will there be much of a viewing public tonight because previous experience tells us that what we view is invariably a dull as ditchwater training like encounter. No one cares basically. Well perhaps Klopp does I suppose because he now finds he's without Gomez for an unspecified amount of time. In these unprecedented times I'd ban all international football, keep the Champions League perhaps because it's an elite competition with huge revenue for the clubs who have managed to get there having played a full seasons football. I'd have done away with the Europa league or made it into a knockout competition as it's little more than a European Carabao cup for me, nice to have but not a necessity with questionable monetary value. We arguably need our domestic cups for the benefit of non Premiership teams but could ban all replays this year. Too many injuries and you just end up with a very watered-down end product. 

You do realize that if there was not an international break, clubs and players will still be playing during this period?

Having already posited that the friendlies should’ve have kept to the barest minimum this season, if you want to cut down on games this season then perhaps you should have eliminated or pared down participation in some or all of the domestic club competitions (not least baring in mind that the overwhelming majority of those EPL injury stats that you cite were incurred in domestic club games). That’s a more tenable compromise than getting rid of internationals that involve WC or continental qualifications, seeding and/or competition (and/or even arguably preparations therefor). There’s frankly little or no compelling reason for clubs in Europe to be participating in the various domestic Milk/League cups this season. 

Edited by NaijaFox

8 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

You do realize that if there was not an international break, clubs and players will still be playing during this period?

Nonetheless, already posited that the friendlies should’ve have kept to the barest minimum, if you want to cut down on games this season you should have eliminated or pared down participation in some or all of the domestic club competitions, instead of trying to get rid of internationals that involve WC or continental qualifications, seeding and/or competition (and/or preparations therefore). There’s frankly little or no rational for clubs in Europe to be participating in the various Milk/League cups this season. 

Is anyone even interested in international football anymore? I find it absolute garbage to be honest and I have no interest in watching England while Southgate is in charge. It may just be me but a combination of Leicester being particularly good at the moment and England/southgate being particularly boring/predictable, i just find internationals to be a hindrance on club football and just find myself counting the days down to the next LCFC game. I know I may be in the minority but I also know many people who have little interest in international football. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Is anyone even interested in international football anymore? I find it absolute garbage to be honest and I have no interest in watching England while Southgate is in charge. It may just be me but a combination of Leicester being particularly good at the moment and England/southgate being particularly boring/predictable, i just find internationals to be a hindrance on club football and just find myself counting the days down to the next LCFC game. I know I may be in the minority but I also know many people who have little interest in international football. 

You could ask the same of the Milk Cup (and fans of some clubs also ask the same of the Europa League Cup). :teehee:

Quite certain that you are not alone on the highlighted sentiment (and understandably so), but which games do you think most football fans in Brazil, Argentina, etc., are counting down to? The next WCQ or Liverpool, Man City’s or PSG’s next League Cup (or any) game?

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Am I making things up or did Fofana not travel with the France squad beause of his knee injury?

He did travel with the French squad, but not expected to play. Don’t know if he’s come back to LCFC.

Edited by NaijaFox