Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

14 minutes ago, Corky said:

Schmeichel has won 14-0 in three games this week lol 

He's faced four shots on target in the matches, none tonight.

Let’s see if he can make it a nice round 20 - 0 against Man City to round out a perfect week or two

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Perhaps you’re right, but you’d expect close contacts of a confirmed case to have to quarantine otherwise it potentially risks the rest of the squad. Got admit I don’t know how they do things over there in practice. Anyway it seems it doesn’t apply in this case.

It's not a case of "over there". Every team adheres to the same FIFA protocols.

3 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Its mad how many good centre back France have. Fofana, Kounde, Badiashile, Konate, Upemacano all young then the 1st team choices of Kimpembe, Varane, Lenglet, Laporte etc etc. And we just have Stones who's any good and an average Maguire. Fofana would start for England's 1st team if he was English 

Willy Boly have had to switch to Cote D'Ivoire (after representing France at youth levels) for any international football

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

It's not a case of "over there". Every team adheres to the same FIFA protocols.

Yes, I stand corrected. Seems rather risky to me, but it appears to have been working in practice so far, so fine.

Edit: I did find this document describing the FIFA protocols. It is very long and comprehensive so I only skipped through it.

https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/1735-covid-19-fifa-s-return-to-football.pdf?cloudid=iepkvqns9kek6fltlx8k

It contains this line: 

“Any individuals who have been in close contact with other individuals with a positive laboratory confirmed COVID-19 result should immediately isolate and subsequently quarantine in accordance with the directives issued by the local health authorities. Under no circumstances should they enter or attempt to enter any official site used for the match.“

As far as I can tell, players are not deemed to be close contacts of each other, and there are huge sections in the document devoted to ensuring that this is the case (at least in principle), by distancing during meetings, etc. Not so sure how this works out in practice (see previous post re Danish players). Presumably playing a match is not considered close contact as such contact is brief.

My reference to “over there” refers to me being in Australia (“over there“ being in the UK). I believe protocols over here are much stricter, though I confess that I haven’t looked at precise arrangements here for elite sports. Generally speaking here, there is a distinction between being a close contact of a case (isolate for 14 days), and a casual contact (isolate until a PCR test returns a negative result).

Anyway, apologies for derailing the thread. Just want our lads to get back safely and be ready for Saturday.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Corky said:

Maddison wasn't going anyway.

injuries aside - today, Maddison is way behind gealish and even lingard. But this can change - he needs to identify the areas of his game to improve and work hard.  he is not the finished article - he needed next season injury free - and to start making better decisions.

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

injuries aside - today, Maddison is way behind gealish and even lingard. But this can change - he needs to identify the areas of his game to improve and work hard.  he is not the finished article - he needed next season injury free - and to start making better decisions.

He is 24 now so very nearly at his peak. His role with us has changed with Youri making the killer passes. He has become though a serious goal threat and when fit is one of the most dangerous attacking midfielders in the league.

He shouldn't be behind either, his performances in the league and cups this season has him well and truly up there with the best attacking midfielders in the league. From December through to his injury at Villa he was a big game player and match winner. Goals and assists coming out of his ears and pretty much matched what Grealish was doing, although they play in different positions anyway.

• Thanks 1

He’s not behind Lingard (except to the extent that Southgate is more likely to return to players he’d previously used rather than turn to new ones). Seems some have already forgotten what a terrific season Madders was having before his injury. He was darn near unplayable in stretches. Lingard brings more energy, but certainly not the skill or vision of Maddison. 

Edited by NaijaFox

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

He shouldn't be behind either, his performances in the league and cups this season has him well and truly up there with the best attacking midfielders in the league. From December through to his injury at Villa he was a big game player and match winner. Goals and assists coming out of his ears and pretty much matched what Grealish was doing, although they play in different positions anyway.

I'm not sure Southgate wants the lot of them- Maddison, Grealish, Lingard. Grealish only seemed to get in because Southgate was bored of all the clamour, not through any great positivity about him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NaijaFox said:

He likes Lingard

Not sure, he mentioned something about him only getting because of injuries this time.

Southgate has this reputation as a good public speaker but he does talk down plenty of players too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What are our thoughts on England's best 11 without the big 6

I'll start:

Pope

Justin    Mings   Coady      Cresswell

Rice     Phillips

Sancho     Maddison      Grealish 

Bamford/Calvert Lewin 

Just now, Lambert09 said:

What are our thoughts on England's best 11 without the big 6

I'll start:

Pope

Justin    Mings   Coady      Cresswell

Rice     Phillips

Sancho     Maddison      Grealish 

Bamford/Calvert Lewin 

Not a fan of the Rice - Phillips combo. Assuming Justin is injured for the Euros, otherwise would’ve taken him.

Gone for a full 23 man squad:

Pope 

Lamptey - Coady - Mings - Cresswell 

Bellingham - Rice - Maddison

Sancho  -  Calvert-Lewin  -  Grealish 

Pickford / Johnstone / Cash / Keane / Tarkowski / Bertrand / Phillips / Ward-Prowse / Barnes / Bowen / Watkins / Ings

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little surprised to see Praet still in the squad he's not even managed 90 minutes of football for us this year.

He's obviously well thought of in the Belgian set up, yet we are struggling to get the best out of him.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Captain... said:

A little surprised to see Praet still in the squad he's not even managed 90 minutes of football for us this year.

He's obviously well thought of in the Belgian set up, yet we are struggling to get the best out of him.

Don’t get this? He was great pre-injury and we’re just reluctant to throw him in while he’s not fully fit. 

30 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Don’t get this? He was great pre-injury and we’re just reluctant to throw him in while he’s not fully fit. 

He's been back from injury 2 months (10 games) and been an unused sub 7 times, played fewer than 90 minutes across the other 3. Before his injury he was hardly pulling up trees, he managed fewer than 180 minutes in the 10 games before his injury.

Since he was signed he's been ok at best, he's had some good games and a lot of very average games we still seem unsure of his best position and how he fits into the team. I'm really surprised he hasn't been tried behind the front 2 in this formation as Perez and Maddison have been our weak links recently. I'm encouraged that he's in the Belgium squad despite a very unsettled season, but I he just hasn't convinced me yet that he deserves a place in our starting 11, let's hope he proves me wrong starting tomorrow.

Edited by Captain...