Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2020/21

Just now, Captain... said:

He's been back from injury 2 months (10 games) and been an unused sub 7 times, played fewer than 90 minutes across the other 3. Before his injury he was hardly pulling up trees, he managed fewer than 180 minutes in the 10 games before his injury.

Since he was signed he's been ok at best, he's had some good games and a lot of very average games we still seem unsure of his best position and how he fits into the team. I'm really surprised he hasn't been tried behind the front 2 in this formation as Perez and Maddison have been our weak links recently. I'm encouraged that he's in the Belgium squad despite a very unsettled season, but I he just convinced me yet that he deserves a place in our starting 11, let's hope he proves me wrong tomorrow.

They're called squad players mate. Every club needs them.

We're lucky to have squad players of his standard, he would start for all of the bottom half PL clubs.

In a squad of 25 not everyone can play regularly. 

Sell Praet and you're just going to replace him with someone who plays just as little/as much. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stevosevic said:

They're called squad players mate. Every club needs them.

We're lucky to have squad players of his standard, he would start for all of the bottom half PL clubs.

In a squad of 25 not everyone can play regularly. 

Sell Praet and you're just going to replace him with someone who plays just as little/as much. 

Not saying sell him, or that he's crap, but Belgium are the top ranked international team, they have a huge amount of competition for places especially in midfield. To continue to pick a Leicester City squad player is surprising.

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Not saying sell him, or that he's crap, but Belgium are the top ranked international team, they have a huge amount of competition for places especially in midfield. To continue to pick a Leicester City squad player is surprising.

They're a top side obviously but there's plenty of very average players in their squad. Look at the strikers...

Are the only LCFC players at the Euros likely to be the 3 Belgians, Cags and Kasper?

I'm guessing that Ricardo's injury will cost him his place with Portugal - and we might have had up to 3 in the England squad without injuries (Barnes, Maddison & JJ).

Unless Fofana's recent performances have caught the French manager's eye for a late call-up....unlikely, I assume?

Under unlikely to be selected for Turkey if he can't get a game for us?

Have I forgotten anyone?

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Are the only LCFC players at the Euros likely to be the 3 Belgians, Cags and Kasper?

I'm guessing that Ricardo's injury will cost him his place with Portugal - and we might have had up to 3 in the England squad without injuries (Barnes, Maddison & JJ).

Unless Fofana's recent performances have caught the French manager's eye for a late call-up....unlikely, I assume?

Have I forgotten anyone?

I think that is it. I had a feeling JJ may've played for England in the last window had he been fit.

To lose only five players isn't too bad, really, in terms of our preparation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Have I forgotten anyone?

Danny Ward

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

He's been back from injury 2 months (10 games) and been an unused sub 7 times, played fewer than 90 minutes across the other 3. Before his injury he was hardly pulling up trees, he managed fewer than 180 minutes in the 10 games before his injury.

Since he was signed he's been ok at best, he's had some good games and a lot of very average games we still seem unsure of his best position and how he fits into the team. I'm really surprised he hasn't been tried behind the front 2 in this formation as Perez and Maddison have been our weak links recently. I'm encouraged that he's in the Belgium squad despite a very unsettled season, but I he just hasn't convinced me yet that he deserves a place in our starting 11, let's hope he proves me wrong starting tomorrow.

I think his role is to be back up to Youri.  Unfortunately he doesnt really fit in this current system anywhere else. But out of the games since Man City the only game he really looked like he should have been used was Newcastle. 

He's as good as squad players come and I really hope we can hold onto him. Weve been so lucky that Youri has been available at all times this season but we'd really understand how lucky we are to have Praet if something had ever happened to him. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

They're a top side obviously but there's plenty of very average players in their squad. Look at the strikers...

Hard to disagree and their big stars haven't shone as bright as some might hope. I'd say only Youri, De Bruyne, Lukaku and Thorgan are the ones that are dead certs. It's not a Belgium team I'd fear, compared to a few years ago. 

Watch them beat us 5-0. 

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Have I forgotten anyone?

Ünder is still Turkey’s golden boy and will likely get selected anyway.

22 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I think his role is to be back up to Youri.  Unfortunately he doesnt really fit in this current system anywhere else. But out of the games since Man City the only game he really looked like he should have been used was Newcastle. 

He's as good as squad players come and I really hope we can hold onto him. Weve been so lucky that Youri has been available at all times this season but we'd really understand how lucky we are to have Praet if something had ever happened to him. 

Does no one else remember when praet filled in for youri halfway through last season when youri was burnt out and he was poor? For me his best role has been as an attacking mid in place of maddison but in general he's a very average player, i dont think he's capable of playing the tielemans role, his positioning and game awareness isnt good enough which is why we're signing soumare.

I hope the lads in the Euros do well but I think we're really going to benefit from a proper rest and preparation that so many players will have.

Probably six weeks off then gradual return, matches to start 3.5 weeks before the season? The Community Shield is another game pencilled in we didn't have to negotiate.

On 17/05/2021 at 08:04, Captain... said:

A little surprised to see Praet still in the squad he's not even managed 90 minutes of football for us this year.

He's obviously well thought of in the Belgian set up, yet we are struggling to get the best out of him.

Batshuayi is still in the squad.

How many times he has played for Palace this season?

Edited by NaijaFox

38 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Little Wes called up for France U21s, as well as Soumare and Edouard!

Some of those names are a bit unfortunate to miss out on the senior squad - Fofana included.
Obviously France have an abundance of talent, but I don't think Fofana would've been out of place as first or second choice backup for the senior XI.

2 hours ago, shen said:

Some of those names are a bit unfortunate to miss out on the senior squad - Fofana included.
Obviously France have an abundance of talent, but I don't think Fofana would've been out of place as first or second choice backup for the senior XI.

Fofana is first choice backup CB for the U21s, so the senior team is stretching it a bit

3 minutes ago, brucey said:

Fofana is first choice backup CB for the U21s, so the senior team is stretching it a bit

Based on the form he's shown this season, he should easily walk into their first XI. He's proven against top class strikers that he can go toe to toe with them. I'm not sure there are any national sides beside France and maybe Italy who wouldn't have Fofana in their 23-man squad.

Fofana should be in the full side. As should Upemacano, Konate, Theo Hernandez and Camavinga. Instead of the likes of Digne, Lenglet, Zouma and Sissoko. 

But Deschamps makes some baffling omissions some times. The main reason Laporte has declared for Spain is because of being ignored for France. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

We might as well just give France the next 6 major trophies. What an unbelievable pool of talent.

Sometimes having too much choice can be a hindrance. It just complicates things and makes it harder to find the right chemistry and balance. I think Brazil have suffered with this problem at times.

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

We might as well just give France the next 6 major trophies. What an unbelievable pool of talent.

Belgium have the talent to go toe to toe with France I think.