Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kopfkino

Things you can't get your head around...

Having recently started working in a charity shop, the shite people try to donate. Dirty clothes, clothes with holes/tears in them or stains on them. Soiled underwear, Tena ladies (unused, thankfully), Shoes with dog shit on them. Ornaments that are damaged or stained with nicotine, dust/ wear and tear, or terribly outdated. Broken toys, women's tops with make-up stains. Bags of clothing that is of decent quality but stinks of cigarette smoke.

Please donate but PLEASE be considerate of what you give. It has to be sellable almost "as new". Some minor wear and tear is OK but please don't use charity shops as a dumping ground. Thank you.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Having recently started working in a charity shop, the shite people try to donate. Dirty clothes, clothes with holes/tears in them or stains on them. Soiled underwear, Tena ladies (unused, thankfully), Shoes with dog shit on them. Ornaments that are damaged or stained with nicotine, dust/ wear and tear, or terribly outdated. Broken toys, women's tops with make-up stains. Bags of clothing that is of decent quality but stinks of cigarette smoke.

Please donate but PLEASE be considerate of what you give. It has to be sellable almost "as new". Some minor wear and tear is OK but please don't use charity shops as a dumping ground. Thank you.

I volunteered in Loros’s warehouse last year and had to sort through the bags of donations, come to think of it I think Covid started soon after.

Anyway, I got told off for discarding loads of stuff by this old woman. I say I got told off.... I actually ran off as she was ranting and let my mate take the flak lol 

59 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Oi it is!

But tbf I hate the "debate". Every week on twitter I see "what do you call this".

It's interesting enough, and very beautiful in parts. I always feel like it's a foreign country though, more so than Scotland. The north of England is the only place I've had abuse for where I'm from. I've been to countries where people have said something along the lines "we don't like your politics but you're fine", but in the North of England I got flat out "**** off back down south" type stuff a few times. Doesn't matter that my home town is further north than Leicester, it had been decided that I was southern and therefore soft, posh and arrogant (which is actually not far from the truth).

And I do think Northerners are way more concerned with local accents, dialects and stereotypes than Southerners are. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, I am definitely a traditionalist. It just gets a bit boring and cringey at times, like the aforementioned bread roll debate. 

19 hours ago, Buce said:

How good N'didi is.

I'm sure none of us expected to see the likes of Kante in a Leicester shirt again, but Wilf is even better.

Steady on. Kante had the best season I've ever seen from a Leicester player in 15/16.

They're quite different players anyway, in my opinion.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah what even is this?  People enthuse about it like it's some kind of classic tradition but I've literally never heard of it.

It's what lame, milquetoast folk do to present to social media in an effort to demonstrate some sort of personality. 

****ing bullshit. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Royston. said:

Being a fighter pilot. Must take so much skill and bravery i just cant comprehend. (Yes i am watching topgun) but still, is it something almost anyone could learn after ALOT of training or some god given ability?

Ability and serious bottle, and that’s just flying it, I imagine it gets a little more difficult when someone in another warplane is

trying to blow you out of the sky.

34 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

I read the other day that scientists believe most intelligent life forms in our galaxy will have already self annihilated.

I'd argue that self-annihilation is an indication of their lack of intelligence.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

I'd argue that self-annihilation is an indication of their lack of intelligence.

Apparently not, some studies have been carried out and their conclusion is that all 

intelligent life will eventually self annihilate including us. It’s all conjecture of course.

On 29/12/2020 at 01:06, Royston. said:

Being a fighter pilot. Must take so much skill and bravery i just cant comprehend. (Yes i am watching topgun) but still, is it something almost anyone could learn after ALOT of training or some god given ability?

Doubt it. I’d say the physical and mental rigours would require high levels of certain ‘born with’ traits.  A quick, analytical mind that can function under pressure, natural strength and stamina, great eye sight, lack of anything relating to vertigo, very high spacial awareness, zero claustrophobia etc.

On claustrophobia, I read that one of the early NASA missions (can’t remember which one) was the equivalent of sitting in the front of a VW Beetle with your mate, wearing a bulky suit and helmet- for two weeks.  I think I’d go insane.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blarmy said:

On claustrophobia, I read that one of the early NASA missions (can’t remember which one) was the equivalent of sitting in the front of a VW Beetle with your mate, wearing a bulky suit and helmet- for two weeks.  I think I’d go insane.

Watched Apollo 13 the other day. They did a decent job of underlining the cramped conditions they were operating in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Doubt it. I’d say the physical and mental rigours would require high levels of certain ‘born with’ traits.  A quick, analytical mind that can function under pressure, natural strength and stamina, great eye sight, lack of anything relating to vertigo, very high spacial awareness, zero claustrophobia etc.

Sounds like Gemini. Saw a capsule once and gave me instant claustrophobia just thinking about being in one of those seats for 2 weeks. At least they got to walk in space.

20 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

I read the other day that scientists believe most intelligent life forms in our galaxy will have already self annihilated.

19 hours ago, Buce said:

16 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

Apparently not, some studies have been carried out and their conclusion is that all 

intelligent life will eventually self annihilate including us. It’s all conjecture of course.

This is just one part of what is called the Fermi Paradox (why we haven't encountered alien life yet).

Simple truth is that until we have a bigger sample size to draw from in terms of how life might develop elsewhere (that isn't zero, basically) we honestly can't make many judgements about the presence of intelligent life elsewhere. The presence of simpler life, however, is something we can state with a bit more certainty given that we know of at least three places in our Solar System alone which have conditions that mirror places on Earth where life is known to exist - even though we've not found life on them yet.

4 hours ago, Blarmy said:

6 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Sounds like Gemini. Saw a capsule once and gave me instant claustrophobia just thinking about being in one of those seats for 2 weeks. At least they got to walk in space.

This is correct - Gemini VII, 4-18 December 1965.

It's such a shame that Jim Lovell, present on that mission and on three others, was the first man to fly to the Moon twice and yet never set foot upon it.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2020 at 17:05, Buce said:

Really?? We were bloody close to this in the cold war. We'll probably get close with climate change towards the turn of the half century too. Our intelligence has lead to us creating things that literally could wipe us out in minutes, or gradually over a sustained period

42 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Really?? We were bloody close to this in the cold war. We'll probably get close with climate change towards the turn of the half century too. Our intelligence has lead to us creating things that literally could wipe us out in minutes, or gradually over a sustained period

This is absolutely true.

A caveat, however, is that without the advancement of tech (hideous weaponry aside, of course) we're just waiting for the Earth to pick us off through "natural" processes at a time of its choosing anyway.