Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Danny Drinkwater

2 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Am I the only one that thinks he could still do a job for us so long as he didn't expect first team football every week?

Waterboy maybe?

1 hour ago, dannythefox said:

Loved Drinkwater, absolute baller who worked his arse off. Left at the wrong time and the only ones who benefitted from it was Leicester. 

What a load of tosh,

Did he not Benefit from the ridiculous contract then?

Percentage of the 35m transfer deal? 
5 year deal £31m?

He might’ve struggled since and still be struggling, but then that could’ve happened to him at Leicester without Kante. 

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

Waterboy maybe?

What a load of tosh,

5 year deal £31m?

He might’ve struggled since and still be struggling, but then that could’ve happened to him at Leicester without Kante. 

This is a harsh take mate. He was brilliant for us. He made some terrible decisions on and off the pitch, but can anyone begrudge him taking a contract when Chelsea come calling? Nobody would turn it down. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sampson said:

He wanted to try his hand at Chelsea. I don’t see what the problem is. Chelsea were the champions and he wanted to see if he was good enough. Turned out he wasn’t but it’s no different to Mahrez or Kante leaving, they all wanted to see if they could try at the highest level. 

Don’t really understand your argument. “Kante and Mahrez knew how good they were.” Is Drinkwater not allowed the same confidence in his own ability?

Well the other 2 were clearly top tier footballers whereas Drinky was a solid and unspectacular midfielder. 

Its not a surprise the 2 world class players flourished while Drinky turned out not to be good enough. Im surprised anyone would genuinely have thought he would go onto to have any sort of career there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

This is a harsh take mate. He was brilliant for us. He made some terrible decisions on and off the pitch, but can anyone begrudge him taking a contract when Chelsea come calling? Nobody would turn it down. 

Agree with the first bit, but Vardy is still living proof that people do turn it down.

Arsenal at the time were serial Champions League qualifiers under Wenger.

Like I said earlier on in this thread, if players earn a move to a big club, fair play. It's because they've performed well for us. 

Kante, Mahrez, Chilwell and Maguire have all done unreal things.

Yes, even Maguire, he's captained one of the biggest clubs in the world.

But others have made bad calls. 

It's not just Drinkwater, what would have happened if Joe Mattock hadn't gone for money?

Different circumstances, yes.

Matt Le Tissier. As much of a nob as he is now, he stayed a legend at Southampton. 

Shearer turned down Man Utd, but was more than happy to be a hero at his hometown club and break their scoring record.

Look at some of these players who go to Barca because they're the "dream club", but just turn out shit and end up somewhere else a few seasons later.

I get why Drinkwater went, I really do, but it was never going to work out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Agree with the first bit, but Vardy is still living proof that people do turn it down.

Arsenal at the time were serial Champions League qualifiers under Wenger.

Like I said earlier on in this thread, if players earn a move to a big club, fair play. It's because they've performed well for us. 

Kante, Mahrez, Chilwell and Maguire have all done unreal things.

Yes, even Maguire, he's captained one of the biggest clubs in the world.

But others have made bad calls. 

It's not just Drinkwater, what would have happened if Joe Mattock hadn't gone for money?

Different circumstances, yes.

Matt Le Tissier. As much of a nob as he is now, he stayed a legend at Southampton. 

Shearer turned down Man Utd, but was more than happy to be a hero at his hometown club and break their scoring record.

Look at some of these players who go to Barca because they're the "dream club", but just turn out shit and end up somewhere else a few seasons later.

I get why Drinkwater went, I really do, but it was never going to work out.

I'm almost certain I've heard Shearer say he regrets turning United down as he would be won loads of trophies

Just now, foxfanazer said:

I'm almost certain I've heard Shearer say he regrets turning United down as he would be won loads of trophies

I'm positive he said opposite to that!

The trophies didn't matter, being a hero in Newcastle and breaking the goalscoring record meant everything to him.

That is a different story though really, Shearer was emotionally invested in Newcastle, so a bad example from me.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

I'm positive he said opposite to that!

The trophies didn't matter, being a hero in Newcastle and breaking the goalscoring record meant everything to him.

That is a different story though really, Shearer was emotionally invested in Newcastle, so a bad example from me.

Ah maybe I'm completely making that up then lol

I think maybe with Drinky coming from the United academy but not quite making it there he might have felt like he owed it to himself to test himself at a 'big club'. Ultimately though he was great for us both in the Championship and the prem 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Brilliant?

Didn’t he tend to have one good season followed by an average one?

I remember people claiming that Matty James was a better player.

2 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Not begrudging him at all, just saying Leicester City were far from the only ones that benefited from the deal 

and to take him back here? Why?

that ship has sailed he has flopped everywhere he has been since.

A goal and assist in 33 games for Reading.

it will be interesting to see if he has the same desire still to play Championship football now that his Chelsea deal is done, he will probably be lucky to get 10k a week

Edited by HankMarvin

He was a vital part of something very special, something that could also have been very special for England too that year given the chance. I certainly didn't begrudge him his opportunity and we got well paid for it too.

Like a lot of things in life, if you don't try you'll never know. I don't find any pleasure in the fact it turned sour either, quite sad really. He made a few bad decisions and judgements, many of us do. He achieved with us and we benefitted greatly, I'll settle for that and would always give him a round of applause should he pay a visit,  Marhez too, time heals.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Waterboy maybe?

What a load of tosh,

5 year deal £31m?

I’m sure he’d rather play football every week and be injury free than what’s actually gone on with him. Not just about the money is it.

9 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Brilliant?

People were claiming James was better in the Championship in about 2013. They were proven very wrong in the subsequent years though. No one was seriously  claiming James was better after the Championship winning season were they? Drinkwater was just about the best player in the league that season.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Brilliant?

Drinkwater was brilliant for us for about 4 years running. He was one of few players that was still consistently good for us in 16/17.

Matt James reputation has gone up massively without him playing. No doubting he was a good player but he wasn't at Drinkwater level.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Can I just say, I agree with this and it's great but people take the piss out of Harry Kane for the same thing.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Can I just say, I agree with this and it's great but people take the piss out of Harry Kane for the same thing.

I think the difference there is that Shearer has already won silverware at Blackburn. Kane isn't a Spurs fan either 

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I think the difference there is that Shearer has already won silverware at Blackburn. Kane isn't a Spurs fan either 

Trophies don't really come into it for me. A great player can still be a great player without winning much. Shearer is an example of that - he only won a league title. But using "he wanted to become Newcastle's top scorer" isn't much justification considering people laugh at Kane for the same thing. On a personal level he's gonna become Spurs' top scorer and that is probably worth as much as winning a trophy at a club he doesn't care for. 

Kane grew up an Arsenal fan apparently but that will have changed now. Look at Birch, Izzet, Walsh... players that care so much for our club yet they didn't grow up with any affiliation to Leicester.

Not that I want to move this thread away from Drinkwater btw as it doesn't deserve that but people only like to use "loyalty" as a positive when it suits.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Trophies don't really come into it for me. A great player can still be a great player without winning much. Shearer is an example of that - he only won a league title. But using "he wanted to become Newcastle's top scorer" isn't much justification considering people laugh at Kane for the same thing. On a personal level he's gonna become Spurs' top scorer and that is probably worth as much as winning a trophy at a club he doesn't care for. 

Kane grew up an Arsenal fan apparently but that will have changed now. Look at Birch, Izzet, Walsh... players that care so much for our club yet they didn't grow up with any affiliation to Leicester.

Oh yeah no argument that he's a great player. I've always said he is, just falls short from being world class for me but I get the argument for him being classed as it by some. Kane does strike me as the sort of player where personal achievements are just as/more important than trophies won.

On your second point I totally agree. Even recently hearing the likes of Simpson etc talking about the club you realise that it's more than just and employer/employee relationship they had with the club

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

It didn’t work out for him after he left but I won’t have any of the revisionism about how good he was for us. For a long time we only played well when he did.

I know in his last half season for us that he looked like the only one that gave a damn in August/September and then Oct-Dec he looked like a competition winner, which really made the Chelsea bid look weird.

At the time he looked a solid mid table Premier league player to me. There's many others that could have played the same role as him in that title winning season. The fact he was good for us doesn't mean he was good enough for one of the best teams in Europe. Despite that blip in 15/16, they clearly were still one of the best.

You know when a player is levels above your team and Drinky wasn't that. He was a key member of a good team, but nothing about his play suggested he was anywhere near good enough to play regularly for the elite. 

I still think Chelsea felt guilty about the Kante deal so this was a way to clear their conscience :D