Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Danny Drinkwater

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I must say at the time a lot of posters on this forum were stating that it was a bad move for him, as he would be spending a lot of time on their bench!!!

This could have been coming from a point of disappointment that he should choose to leave us, and it is so late in the window.

I am a big Drinkwater fan and was also upset that he left us, but this was an opportunity to prove how high he could go. 

Maybe because of the editing of that interview, it appears that he is making excuses for the reasons for his subsequent behaviours' and the decline in his career. He needed to seek professional help, but you tend to sink lower and lower before you eventually do so..

Matty James was probably a big factor in keeping him on track, and his (Drinkwater) moving to Chelsea added to his instability.

I was a big fan too. I didn’t begrudge him his move and felt we got a very good fee. He was great here and will be remembered fondly for a long time. Would be nice if he could get his career back on track although I can’t see him hitting the heights he achieved here. Most of us have made bad career choices. You just have to take the learnings and keep going but it is hard at the time. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

The transfer move to Chelsea might not have worked out, but the extra cash and proximity to Harley Street has done wonders for his hairline. Money went to his head, literally lol

Its made a better comeback than his career thats for sure.

• Haha 1

It's a shame how his career turned out after leaving Leicester, but we'd all have taken that money and deal to go to Chelsea so fair play, hopefully he can get a club and enjoy the rest of his career at 32 he should have plenty to offer a team in the Championship.

I'm kind of torn over Drinky, to be honest.

He is, and always will be a legend for being a MASSIVE part of that side in 15/16.

But I've always used him as the example of the grass ain't always greener.

Like he said in his interview it's "what if...".

Vardy stayed and it's been totally justified. Had he gone to Arsenal, Wenger probably would have played him on the wing or kept him on the bench. He's now cemented his status as arguably our greatest player and one of the Premier League era's best strikers.

Kante and Mahrez knew how good they were, they've totally made the right call and have won some of the biggest trophies in football, regularly. Kante especially has won everything.

I feel for Drinky over his personal demons, of course I do, but professionally, not so much.

It's my opinion that he probably surrounded himself with the wrong people, such as agents, and took terrible advice from them. They've made a pretty penny and he's gone through hell. 

It's a tough one. I'll always be grateful for what he did for our club and wish him the best.

Could have been so much better for him though, given the right advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I'm kind of torn over Drinky, to be honest.

He is, and always will be a legend for being a MASSIVE part of that side in 15/16.

But I've always used him as the example of the grass ain't always greener.

Like he said in his interview it's "what if...".

Vardy stayed and it's been totally justified. Had he gone to Arsenal, Wenger probably would have played him on the wing or kept him on the bench. He's now cemented his status as arguably our greatest player and one of the Premier League era's best strikers.

Kante and Mahrez knew how good they were, they've totally made the right call and have won some of the biggest trophies in football, regularly. Kante especially has won everything.

I feel for Drinky over his personal demons, of course I do, but professionally, not so much.

It's my opinion that he probably surrounded himself with the wrong people, such as agents, and took terrible advice from them. They've made a pretty penny and he's gone through hell. 

It's a tough one. I'll always be grateful for what he did for our club and wish him the best.

Could have been so much better for him though, given the right advice.

He wanted to try his hand at Chelsea. I don’t see what the problem is. Chelsea were the champions and he wanted to see if he was good enough. Turned out he wasn’t but it’s no different to Mahrez or Kante leaving, they all wanted to see if they could try at the highest level. 

Don’t really understand your argument. “Kante and Mahrez knew how good they were.” Is Drinkwater not allowed the same confidence in his own ability?

• Like 3

Just now, Sampson said:

He wanted to try his hand at Chelsea. I don’t see what the problem is. Chelsea were the champions and he wanted to see if he was good enough. Turned out he wasn’t but it’s no different to Mahrez or Kante leaving, they all wanted to see if they could try at the highest level. 

Don’t really understand your argument. “Kante and Mahrez knew how good they were.” Is Drinkwater not allowed the same confidence in his own ability?

Look, I always stick up for players who have left us. They have no affiliation to Leicester City, unlike us.

I just think Drinkwater was badly advised.

Maguire is out of his depth, but fair play, he's captained one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I hold no grudges.

Most of these moves are motivated by money in a short career, fair play.

But something just didn't sit right with the Drinkwater move.

Like he said in the interview, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

5 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Wouldn't mind seeing him training with us while he finds a new club. We seem to do loyalty really well at this club and that would be a good gesture. The great facilities should get him into decent nick for whoever he signs for as well, providing he's not made of glass now.

We do, he doesn't, he was out of here the minute Chelsea came sniffing and that helped cause the Silva debacle.

He's a legend (imo) and I'd applaud him if he ver came back but the club don't owe him anything.

Look, I always stick up for players who have left us. They have no affiliation to Leicester City, unlike us.

Maguire is out of his depth, but fair play, he's captained one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I hold no grudges.

it wasn't hindsight I don't think there was a Leicester fan at the time that thought the move would work for him

• Like 1

I hold no grudges.

I don't think Drinkwater was "badly advised". I don't know why that saying has even crept into football, as if footballers aren't adults who can't make their own decisions. They have to take responsibility too.

Chelsea, a club that compete for the league and every trophy, suddenly want you. None of us are going to be in that situation but I'd imagine that's a massive pull for a footballer playing at Leicester City.

Just now, Fox92 said:

I don't think Drinkwater was "badly advised". I don't know why that saying has even crept into football, as if footballers aren't adults who can't make their own decisions. They have to take responsibility too.

Chelsea, a club that compete for the league and every trophy, suddenly want you. None of us are going to be in that situation but I'd imagine that's a massive pull for a footballer playing at Leicester City.

No offence, and I'm really not looking for an argument, but that's a huge problem in football.

That's the problem, they're legally adults, but they don't know anything about real life. 

Man Utd have people on call 24 hours to do anything for these guys, including changing a fvcking light bulb for them.

These people genuinely can't make decisions for themselves.

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

No offence, and I'm really not looking for an argument, but that's a huge problem in football.

That's the problem, they're legally adults, but they don't know anything about real life. 

Man Utd have people on call 24 hours to do anything for these guys, including changing a fvcking light bulb for them.

These people genuinely can't make decisions for themselves.

I'd like to have an argument, please.

Seriously I get that but in terms of a bigger club coming in for you, I highly doubt you need someone to tell you it's not a good idea to move. If Drinkwater backed his ability, which we all do, then he probably thought he'd be able to compete for everything in domestic football. 

Just now, Fox92 said:

I'd like to have an argument, please.

Seriously I get that but in terms of a bigger club coming in for you, I highly doubt you need someone to tell you it's not a good idea to move. If Drinkwater backed his ability, which we all do, then he probably thought he'd be able to compete for everything in domestic football. 

Did you see the midfielders he was competing with?

OK, he gambled, he lost.

Yeah, he had no affiliation with Leicester and I get why he went.

But had he ever heard of Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell? 

I honestly couldn't care, he fvcked up his own career. 

And I'm talking on the pitch, not his personal issues.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Did you see the midfielders he was competing with?

OK, he gambled, he lost.

Yeah, he had no affiliation with Leicester and I get why he went.

But had he ever heard of Scott Parker and Steve Sidwell? 

I honestly couldn't care, he fvcked up his own career. 

And I'm talking on the pitch, not his personal issues.

I don't think footballers typically get to the level Drinkwater was at - and unlike Parker or Sidwell, he was just coming off the back of having won the Premier League and got to the quarters of the Champions League - without having both a great deal of confidence in their ability and a desire to test themselves against and alongside the best players possible. I doubt it would have taken a great deal of persuasion from his agent to convince him to move. "Badly advised" in my opinion would be if his agent had said "look mate, I know it may be a once in a lifetime opportunity but I really don't think you're good enough, might as well stay put". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guest said:

I don't think footballers typically get to the level Drinkwater was at - and unlike Parker or Sidwell, he was just coming off the back of having won the Premier League and got to the quarters of the Champions League - without having both a great deal of confidence in their ability and a desire to test themselves against and alongside the best players possible. I doubt it would have taken a great deal of persuasion from his agent to convince him to move. "Badly advised" in my opinion would be if his agent had said "look mate, I know it may be a once in a lifetime opportunity but I really don't think you're good enough, might as well stay put". 

Fair point. 

But Chelsea especially have a track record for it.

Mo Salah and KDB? 

Shaun Wright-Phillips another one there.

And you're telling me that Vardy wasn't ambitious, but decided to stay? 

Ah well, nice problem to have I guess.

Danny Drinkwater is not a Chelsea player. You have to be technically faultless. While he had some ability, especially the season we won the league, he was never going to get into their team on a regular basis. He probably believed he could and that's where it went wrong.

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Fair point. 

But Chelsea especially have a track record for it.

Mo Salah and KDB? 

Shaun Wright-Phillips another one there.

And you're telling me that Vardy wasn't ambitious, but decided to stay? 

Ah well, nice problem to have I guess.

Vardy will have ambition but Arsenal now is so much different to Chelsea/Liverpool/Man City. If either of those come in for Vardy I do think he would have gone. Arsenal 20 years ago would have been much more of a pull than what they were when they came in for Vardy.

Anyway cba for this debate anymore on a Friday. I'll still like Drinkwater as one of my favourite ever City players. He was a massive important part of our team for 5 or so years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Vardy will have ambition but Arsenal now is so much different to Chelsea/Liverpool/Man City. If either of those come in for Vardy I do think he would have gone. Arsenal 20 years ago would have been much more of a pull than what they were when they came in for Vardy.

Anyway cba for this debate anymore on a Friday. I'll still like Drinkwater as one of my favourite ever City players. He was a massive important part of our team for 5 or so years.

Fair enough, I don't disagree he's a massive part of our recent success. 

Enjoy your Friday :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hackneyfox said:

We do, he doesn't, he was out of here the minute Chelsea came sniffing and that helped cause the Silva debacle.

He's a legend (imo) and I'd applaud him if he ver came back but the club don't owe him anything.

I agree, we don't owe him anything at all. He was a crucial part of our best ever moment but we gave him that platform. I just thought it would be a nice thing for us to do for one of our legends. And, let's be honest, playing football is a short career so you can't begrudge someone wanting to give it a crack at a club that should be competing in the Champions League and challenging for trophies every season and earn a wage that your current club may not be able to match.

Anyway, as pointed out above, Rebekah Vardy was allegedly leaking stories about him anyway so it would be pretty awkward, and therefore very unlikely to happen, if we did give him a chance to train here.