Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Danny Drinkwater

4 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

He pushed for the move there backing his own ability  . Sadly he was lacking,  hence him only making 12 appearances under 4 different mangers . Did Chelsea make him dump  his then pregnant Mrs and moveto London . Did Chelsea make him drink and make him get into fights  . No that’s all of his own doing.  There’s been so many reports of instances at Chelsea and different clubs on loan etc it’s no body’s fault but his own . 

One could argue that mental health issues caused by the situation and the way he was treated could lead to much of that yes. But I'm not saying he hasn't contributed to his downfall.  Regardless his past  personal life shouldn't be effecting his future. He's clearly done a lot of work to move on from a dark period in his life. 

I'd love to see him do well again. 

Edited by Foxhateram
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, baldeagle said:

He pushed for the move there backing his own ability  . Sadly he was lacking,  hence him only making 12 appearances under 4 different mangers . Did Chelsea make him dump  his then pregnant Mrs and moveto London . Did Chelsea make him drink and make him get into fights  . No that’s all of his own doing.  There’s been so many reports of instances at Chelsea and different clubs on loan etc it’s no body’s fault but his own . 

Couldnt agree more with this.

Having problems with booze doesnt give him a free pass for being an absolute arsehole. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

One could argue that mental health issues caused by the situation and the way he was treated could lead to much of that yes. But I'm not saying he hasn't contributed to his downfall.  Regardless his past  personal life shouldn't be effecting his future. He's clearly done a lot of work to move on from a dark period in his life. 

He moved for the cash and got bombed out because he was worse than the other midfield options they had. Simple as that.

And all the managers were right.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Why didnt he have a similar meltdown while he was here then? He didnt have the same psychological support from Chelsea that he got here which is at least partly on them. 

No one chooses to act self destructively and mess their life up, it's usually a trait that carries over from events that happened during childhood. As a society we're not very good at changing our thought patterns, most people act out what they've learned early on and only change when something really bad happens out of it. Drinkwater just seems to have had bad luck early on in life and learned negative patterns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

How? They literally gave him 0 opportunities, he went to play for one manager who had him in his first team plans alongside Kante, then a new manager took over and left him in the ressies. 

he’s talking about his ( alleged) drunken behavior and ( alleged) arrests for drunk driving. And ( alleged) drunken fights.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

He had issues before he went to Chelsea was well known he liked a drink and Pearson stating he’s a complex character alluded to others issues 

49 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Why didnt he have a similar meltdown while he was here then? He didnt have the same psychological support from Chelsea that he got here which is at least partly on them. 

No one chooses to act self destructively and mess their life up, it's usually a trait that carries over from events that happened during childhood. As a society we're not very good at changing our thought patterns, most people act out what they've learned early on and only change when something really bad happens out of it. Drinkwater just seems to have had bad luck early on in life and learned negative patterns.

It wasn’t completely plain sailing for him at Leicester r was it and there were a few allegations/rumours etc 

Edited by baldeagle

4 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

It wasn’t completely plain sailing for him at Leicester roving was it and there were a few allegations/rumours etc 

Well yh but the point was that we managed to keep him vaguely on the straight and narrow, at least compared to fighting 15 year olds or whatever he did. 

I kind of get what you're saying though that it's not really Chelsea's fault that he has underlying issues which is fair enough. I hesitate to blame drinkwater himself because from personal experience it's difficult to sort yourself out when you have a troubled mind and a lack of proper support. The reality is that in most cases the only way out of it is when you hit rock bottom and everything up to that point is a blur.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Well yh but the point was that we managed to keep him vaguely on the straight and narrow, at least compared to fighting 15 year olds or whatever he did. 

I kind of get what you're saying though that it's not really Chelsea's fault that he has underlying issues which is fair enough. I hesitate to blame drinkwater himself because from personal experience it's difficult to sort yourself out when you have a troubled mind and a lack of proper support. The reality is that in most cases the only way out of it is when you hit rock bottom and everything up to that point is a blur.

I just find it annoying how quick people are to blame a football club for things not working out or a player going off the rails completely  exonerating the player . It happens here , you only have to look at the Soumare thread and people are blaming the club or Rodgers for it not working out without even knowing  the full facts 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 2

It's hard to feel sorry for mega rich footballers when things end up not as planned, but we can't forget the pleasure that he gave us back in those heady times, linking up with Kante, Mahrez, and Vardy to give us those unforgettable memories!

• Thanks 1

It was one of those transfers that was  glaringly obvious that it would never work out. 

I don't blame him for giving it a go though. 

Kante was irreplaceable. Drinkwater was not. 

4 hours ago, Foxhateram said:

Such a shame Chelsea ruined him. He was quality for us, particularly the season after Kante left! I'd be happy for him to be around the club, with a chance of playing a game tbh. If he ever got near to his previous form with us he'd be a far better option than Soumare or Mendy. 

Chelsea didn't ruin him, **** me.

• Thanks 1

He was a key part of our greatest team, and will forever be remembered as that.  I never hold a move upwards against any player, and this was clearly that.  It is a shame it didn't work out for him, and I think the change in manager and immediate rejection must have been very hard to deal with after having a reasonable number of appearance in his first season there, despite some injuries.  Some people pick themselves up and work harder to get themselves back in contention (like Albrighton, who has now pushed his way back into the side with several managers with his professionalism and bloody mindedness) while others find that much harder to overcome.  From there he had opportunities which he had more than enough talent to make a success of, but for his own reasons didn't manage to do so and that is shame, but no one else's fault.  I hope he finds a new club which will support him and let him show his undoubted talents once again.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

some unforgiving guys on here eh

hopefully nobody in your family or close friends suffer from any alcohol issues or addiction at any point

Thats a very easy comment for you to make.

Its not like people are disliking him because of his issues with booze full stop, we're just saying it doesnt mean he can do whatever he wants without repercussions because he has an addiction.

To be honest my thoughts are probably fuelled somewhat by the impact an alcoholic family friend had on their loved one. I've basically watched very close decades long friendships torn apart beyond repair.

At first everyone tried to help them as far as possible and tried to give him leeway on being a mean bastard but without getting into too much detail his behaviour got worse while refusing to seek help. Even when he stopped drinking temporarily, his behaviour was still out of order.

This guy almost died and to be honest probably will die which is tragic.

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

I don't really get your point. Mahrez is a legend because his transfer worked out for him, but Drinkwater isn't because he didn't? They both made the decision to try and further their career, Chelsea was an unquestionable step up from us in 2017, they were league champions and we just finished 12th, it didn't work out for him, but I can't really blame him for wanting to give it a go.

I don't think either Mahrez or Drinkwater "jumped ship" "for the money" either, they weren't making sideways steps at the time, they were making clear upward steps and wanted to try and compete at the top of the game. Kante made much more of a sideways step than either at the time tbf considering where both teams had just finished but seems to remain universally much more loved than Mahrez or Drinkwater for some reason. Should Norwich hate Maddison to for joining us "for the money" as well?

If you cant see the difference  between how Kante and Mahrez "made it work" for them and DD didnt then your opinion wont change anyway.

They all had the talent, 2 made it work, the other didnt. 

These 2 are still playing at the highest level possible, DD couldnt even make an impact at Reading.

It p1sses me off that players with talent have a chance but just waste it when us mere mortals would love to have the talent.

DD says himself HE messed his chance up , for me that's it in a nutshell.

But if you think hes a legend, that's your opinion 

Edited by Raj

He was so good for us in the championship when we won the title. He was so good for us the season we won the prem. It’s a shame he left us when and how he did. Had he not left us he’d probably still be here now. In my eyes a club legend. 

• Like 2

On 10/09/2020 at 11:54, JimmyC74 said:

I struggle with the deflation bit tbh. He should have been part of group saying let’s push on together to achieve more (not saying league wins, but Europe & FA Cups) rather than thinking of his career. Not sure if urban myth but I recall that when Arsenal wanted Vardy a group of players (probably including Drinky) begged him to stay...shame he didn’t think like Vards. Up the city!

Football seems to intensify the self-involvement of certain characters. Supporters raise you to the summit when it's all going well, but it's wise to keep the boots firmly on the ground. I don't think he's at all able to do that. I sense he's an attention seeker and a thrill seeker too. That meant he'd be looking for the next hit of fame and excitement and City poured cold water on that by preventing him going to Chelsea. 

He clearly needs the world to revolve around DD - the "my son is everything to me" sounds bogus. Had that been the case then he'd have sought therapy much earlier. But I'm not surprised he's lost interest in football. It can chew you up and spit you out without a moment's consideration.  

13 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Maybe go join Nige at Bristol City

Can't help but think Nige kept Drinky grounded, that'd probably be an ideal move for him

As for rating Drinkwater - it was so difficult because he'd blow hot and cold. You'd have months on end of him being incredible, and then a string of matches back-to-back where he was just a headless chicken. Overall though, great player for us and it's a shame how his life and career have spiralled. Wish him the best

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Whatever I said two years ago he’s still there when I turn my phone on every day ..  :thumbup:

07685D79-021E-4DCD-9D84-AB2B414259A0.png

great shot, just shows that its never always greener on the otherside. a perfect example story to tell ya grand kids.

• Like 1