Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Danny Drinkwater

27 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I've been critical in the past of Drinkwater but he comes across well here and a lot more mature and reflective which is good

Very genuine, believable and he's clearly doing the work on himself. Fair play to him, could be a good signing for somebody 

• Like 1

On Undr the cosh you hear so many stories of players that didn't hit their potential because their heads weren't right, looks like Danny is another one. The difference is that a lot of those lads didn't realise until well after they were out of the game. Drinkies still got another good 3/4 years in him if he really wants it.

I hope he is sincerely working on himself and his mental side. Didn't seem like he was acknowledging any issues with himself though, he reeled off a lot of excuses in that video and not a lot of self reflection. He even glossed over the nightclub incident and then immediately portrayed himself as a victim.

Move the MLS would probably do him the world of good. Will be well paid and gets a change of scenary which can do absolute wonders for you mentally. It'd be like a fresh start.

On 27/05/2022 at 19:04, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Best place to start would probably be a therapist's office, not asking a guy trying to make the most of in injury-plagued career at a Championship club to babysit DD.

Drinkwater hasn't played for Big Nige in 7 years, and Bristol is coming off a mediocre season with an owner who thinks they should have done better. Do you really think Pearson is going to take a risk on a player that has caused dressing room problems everywhere he has been the last 5 years? As well as the heat he would take for signing yet another ex-LCFC player in their 30s?

Drinky has some career choices ahead of him, but I think he needs to move forward and not step into the past.

I think you are right. It’s a shame what’s happened to him. When he left here no one would have expected his career to pan out like it has even if they were disappointed at him leaving. He needs to move on with his life. Still the vast majority of people on this planet would love to be in the position that he is so I don’t feel sorry for him. More important things going on in the world. 

22 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Regardless of what you think, that interview is a good thing and good for him. 

It is as long as it's genuine and not just an agent move to improve his image.

We'll see over the next 12 months, I really hope it is as you don't want to see anyone in such a bad position mentally that they're not able to enjoy life and make the most of it.

A move to Australia or MLS would be best, on a footballing level I reckon, but seems to have a lot of battles in relation to his kid so probably won't want to go too far away. It's a shame, always had his troubles but moving to Chelsea was the worst thing he could've done. I don't blame him though, he had to back himself, was a strange move all-round. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

It is as long as it's genuine and not just an agent move to improve his image.

We'll see over the next 12 months, I really hope it is as you don't want to see anyone in such a bad position mentally that they're not able to enjoy life and make the most of it.

Even so, I think for the fella’s mental healthy, that it was a worthwhile exercise for him to publicly ‘bent’

Wouldn't mind seeing him training with us while he finds a new club. We seem to do loyalty really well at this club and that would be a good gesture. The great facilities should get him into decent nick for whoever he signs for as well, providing he's not made of glass now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Supergray22 said:

I think you are right. It’s a shame what’s happened to him. When he left here no one would have expected his career to pan out like it has even if they were disappointed at him leaving. He needs to move on with his life. Still the vast majority of people on this planet would love to be in the position that he is so I don’t feel sorry for him. More important things going on in the world. 

...I must say at the time a lot of posters on this forum were stating that it was a bad move for him, as he would be spending a lot of time on their bench!!!

This could have been coming from a point of disappointment that he should choose to leave us, and it is so late in the window.

I am a big Drinkwater fan and was also upset that he left us, but this was an opportunity to prove how high he could go. 

Maybe because of the editing of that interview, it appears that he is making excuses for the reasons for his subsequent behaviours' and the decline in his career. He needed to seek professional help, but you tend to sink lower and lower before you eventually do so..

Matty James was probably a big factor in keeping him on track, and his (Drinkwater) moving to Chelsea added to his instability.

• Like 1

I'm not for one minute saying we should sign him, I think ultimately both parties have long moved on. But I can't help feeling he is exactly the profile Rodgers had said he likes i.e. exceptionally talented but broken. Would Rodgers be tempted?

31 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Wouldn't mind seeing him training with us while he finds a new club. We seem to do loyalty really well at this club and that would be a good gesture. The great facilities should get him into decent nick for whoever he signs for as well, providing he's not made of glass now.

Whilst a nice sentiment, would it really be possible after the news of Mrs Vardy leaking stories about him?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Incognito said:

I'm not for one minute saying we should sign him, I think ultimately both parties have long moved on. But I can't help feeling he is exactly the profile Rodgers had said he likes i.e. exceptionally talented but broken. Would Rodgers be tempted?

I think it'd be a bad move - he's only really just rediscovered any sort of form and it took going to a Championship relegation scrap to get there.

Think a top flight stint is beyond him for now - 2022 Danny Drinkwater would be fourth choice in midfield at best. It's felt like he's overestimated his own fitness and ability these past few years, which is why, for example, he was appallingly off the pace at both Villa and Burnley.

That said I really hope he can kick on and get his career on track. A championship club of mid to upper-table stature where he can get regular gametime would be perfect. People have mentioned Bristol City already, depends if Nige would be interested, but regardless it's gotta be a case of just playing weekly and rediscovering form. Walk before you run.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Incognito said:

....at his best, he suits us perfectly right now!!!

His injuries may have slowed him up a bit and it also becomes a reliability issue, but he would when fit, is an asset in a role that he is very much suited to. Pearson said, he was a bit of an enigma, and perhaps he needs that authoritative figure around him, but these problems, are not a recent thing for Drinkwater.

• Haha 1