15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think we won something like 1 game when he played, he was never much else but average.

Stems from everyone hating on Morgan (again) and thinking he was the second coming because he wasn't really playing. 

My initial recollection was we kept more clean sheets with him in the side than without (pro rata) but I might be wrong. He was very ordinary to begin with and then had a run of games where he started to look like the player his reputation had given him, really no massive loss to us though.

• Like 1

"Tah cannot afford to be reactive to opposition attacks. His lack of pace demands that he anticipate the play and position himself preemptively in order to prevent the danger."

" having success using his strength to shove the player off the ball. The second clip displays the worst of the clips, with the Paderborn winger using just a slight change of pace to blow by him."

https://www.inthepocketfootball.com/bayer-leverkusen-jonathan-tah

I thought it was well known that he was slow.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

Just read this on bleacherreport.com...

"Tah has immense speed on his side once he breaks into his stride, is comfortable playing in space and executes recovery runs very well."

He doesn’t look so slow on the obligatory YouTube clips tbf

I thought Dragović looked solid and commanding responded well when his opportunity arose in central defence - hardly a basis for targeting and signing him now, but I was sorry to see him go. I think we had an option to buy in the region of 17m. Worth remembering that he played several games as makeshift cover for Simpson at R/B 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, murphy said:

"Tah cannot afford to be reactive to opposition attacks. His lack of pace demands that he anticipate the play and position himself preemptively in order to prevent the danger."

" having success using his strength to shove the player off the ball. The second clip displays the worst of the clips, with the Paderborn winger using just a slight change of pace to blow by him."

https://www.inthepocketfootball.com/bayer-leverkusen-jonathan-tah

I thought it was well known that he was slow.

The below link seems to disagree 🤷‍♂️

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/jonathan-tah-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

When the opposition goes direct, Tah will have to cover huge amounts of space behind the backline. Both of these tasks are very taxing on a central defender and can cause the defender to be often caught out of position. Tah can use his great pace and defensive intelligence to minimise the quality of opposition attacks

Edited by Nickbluefox
16 minutes ago, Nickbluefox said:

The below link seems to disagree 🤷‍♂️

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/jonathan-tah-201920-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

When the opposition goes direct, Tah will have to cover huge amounts of space behind the backline. Both of these tasks are very taxing on a central defender and can cause the defender to be often caught out of position. Tah can use his great pace and defensive intelligence to minimise the quality of opposition attacks

"Great pace"

I've never heard that with Tah before.  Well I hope you're references are right and mine are wrong.

6 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I've said it before, but really tall players often look slow when they're not actually slow.  Tah is not actually slow.

Agree with this actually, there was always a perception that Wes was slow purely because he’s an absolute unit, however he actually has a good turn of pace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Agree with this actually, there was always a perception that Wes was slow purely because he’s an absolute unit, however he actually has a good turn of pace.

I recall reading he was recorded as being mightily quick in our title winning season once he got going. I haven’t got the stats to hand but it’s stuck in my head as he often gets stick for being slow.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I've said it before, but really tall players often look slow when they're not actually slow.  Tah is not actually slow.

4 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

1 minute ago, TaggertvsWise said:

I recall reading he was recorded as being mightily quick in our title winning season once he got going. I haven’t got the stats to hand but it’s stuck in my head as he often gets stick for being slow.

Yeah seem to remember a stat where our slow, lumbering centre-halfs Morgan and Wasilewski were actually two of the three fastest players in the Prem. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Line-X said:

I thought Dragović looked solid and commanding responded well when his opportunity arose in central defence - hardly a basis for targeting and signing him now, but I was sorry to see him go. I think we had an option to buy in the region of 17m. Worth remembering that he played several games as makeshift cover for Simpson at R/B 

Our best defender when he was here 👌🏻

• Haha 2

The thing with the pace debate is that acceleration is often the most important part. It’s all well and good being quick “once you get going” but it’s unlikely a cb would be covering huge distances, whereas the first 5-10m is crucial in stopping the attacker and so acceleration is key.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

My initial recollection was we kept more clean sheets with him in the side than without (pro rata) but I might be wrong. He was very ordinary to begin with and then had a run of games where he started to look like the player his reputation had given him, really no massive loss to us though.

Yeah people like to quote the 5 clean sheet run, but fail to mention that two of them were against Fleetwood and in one of the others Morgan started and we were already coasting before he went off injured. 

A bit like the Matty James think I had the right hump about it and went stats mad. Sod plucking them all out again, but it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think we won something like 1 game when he played, he was never much else but average.

Stems from everyone hating on Morgan (again) and thinking he was the second coming because he wasn't really playing. 

We drew 0-0 with Chelsea. I remember it well as I joked that I would streak if we kept a clean sheet with him in defence lol