Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

15 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

He's a CDM mate..... You going to have a go at Kasper for not scoring enough next? 

Don’t expect goals but Praet offers more and so does Ndidi. Mendy needs body’s around him, today we had a 5 4 1 and was so compact he can fit in and scrap against teams who press us .

Hea no good in games when we need to create vs low blocks.

For example the west ham game recently , we were beat the second we were behind because it’s awfully hard to break a low block with it set up like that.

Hes good for games where we arnt expected to win and play on the front foot but not for games were expected to win.

Its good he can come in and do a job which is why I’m giving credit and as highpeakfox said it’s great it takes the pressure off replaced Ndidi instantly.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

He's actually better on the ball than Ndidi is. Usually chalks up a higher pass completion and comparing him to Praet is utter nonsense. Praet isn't a CDM. 

Not being able to break down Villa or West Ham isn't on Mendy. Mendy is there to allow Maddison/Praet/Tielemans etc to go and break them down. Them not doing their job efficiently is why we couldn't break them down. His job is to win and recycle possession and he does that well.

But seeing as you brought up Villa, what happened when we took him off and replaced him with someone a bit better offensively? 

He ran out of legs vs Villa we we’re getting the run around and the goal

was coming .
Initially we killed the storm and we’re looking better than before Mendy was on but then Hamza ball watching cost us.

Villa had lots more similar chances when Mendy couldn’t get back and they over played or Forfana bailed us out but Barkley punished us eventually.

They both offer different things, Hamza needs a kick up his a*se. He looked very promising but he needs to improve. Both are not a patch on Ndidi and the quicker we get him back the better, but as I’ve said already Mendy is a good enough cover for now and I can never doubt his effort.

1 minute ago, deanolegend1989 said:

He ran out of legs vs Villa we we’re getting the run around and the goal

was coming .
Initially we killed the storm and we’re looking better than before Mendy was on but then Hamza ball watching cost us.

Villa had lots more similar chances when Mendy couldn’t get back and they over played or Forfana bailed us out but Barkley punished us eventually.

They both offer different things, Hamza needs a kick up his a*se. He looked very promising but he needs to improve. Both are not a patch on Ndidi and the quicker we get him back the better, but as I’ve said already Mendy is a good enough cover for now and I can never doubt his effort.

I do agree that Ndidi is the better player and we are more defensively stable with him on the pitch. 

My confusion to your previous posts was that you were criticising Papys offensive involvement when it's not his responsibility and comparing it to Ndidis when all the stats suggest that Papy is actually the better of the two going forward ( better pass completion, already matched Wilfs assists last season, almost identical number of key passes per game).

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I do agree that Ndidi is the better player and we are more defensively stable with him on the pitch. 

My confusion to your previous posts was that you were criticising Papys offensive involvement when it's not his responsibility and comparing it to Ndidis when all the stats suggest that Papy is actually the better of the two going forward ( better pass completion, already matched Wilfs assists last season, almost identical number of key passes per game).

Neither are particularly good going forward, granted.

However for me Wilf has more strength, Aerial ability and long strides and strength both on the ball as well as off.

he can progress a bit better up field and move the defence around, and is more of a threat on set pieces.

Purely in terms of in games where we are behind vs a low block I feel will always end in defeat. I’m not blaming it solely on Mendy but his lack of holding and bursting with the ball is effects us more in games of this nature.

Its a lot to do with Tielemens lack of pace, it’s more noticeable. The West Ham game was very much stand out to me as to how Mendy and Tielemens can’t play as a 2 , same as Mendy and Ndidi can’t.

We need more bodies when Mendy is there and it’s ok when we sit and soak but less so when we need to attack and open up, not because of Mendy/Ndidi’s actual attacking ability, but more there presence on the pitch, which in turn effects how we can progress up the pitch in games we need to chase.

Dont get me wrong, Mendy is very efficient in games we have under control and gives great protection to the back 4, he’s good at positioning(much better than Hamza in terms of brain and positioning) and is smart at winning little free kicks.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, majaco said:

Mendy has done well.  But I am surprised that people are suggesting N'didi will struggle to get back in the side.  It is our great fortune to have Mendy playing so well but N'didi is a top, top player.

You’re probably right, and he will get straight in. But it’s a nice problem, no? Mendy has proven himself and I wouldn’t have any quarrel with seeing his name on the team sheet again!

11 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Ndidi and Mendy together 🤦‍♂️. Let me guess, Maddison on the left wing too? 😂.

mendy ndidi and Tielemens has about as much pace as an old people’s home.
Ndidi Praet Tielemens is our best 3 because they all offer something you need and it’s a great balance. Mendy is cover for ndidi but when Wilfs back its a straight swap.

Where did you get that idea from what I said. ( Maddison on the wing.) Maddison can only play one position and that's the 10 role. Which thankfully Brendan is realizing now.

Wilf got injured because we're asking too much of him. He needs someone in there with him and Mendy is the best we have for the role. He's been consistently our best player this season. If memory serves me right he had the highest stats t in the role in the French league when we signed Kante.

He would also bring balance to our midfield with Youri playing just in front of the Wilf and Mendy.

Our defensive unit would be really good and with the addition of Under on the wing and  Maddison behind the front two or three, We'd be strong going forward also.

things are really starting to look brighter.

On 26/10/2020 at 05:26, Messi said:

I’m so glad that he signed that contract and we are seeing what he is capable of. It would have been absolutely gutting to see him playing like this for another club. What a player. Absolutely class yet again

Edited by Tom12345

On 26/10/2020 at 08:33, majaco said:

Mendy has done well.  But I am surprised that people are suggesting N'didi will struggle to get back in the side.  It is our great fortune to have Mendy playing so well but N'didi is a top, top player.

You're right.  Wilf is a force of nature.  He wins balls that he has absolutely no right to and he is the best at doing that job in The Premier League imo.

Great to see Mendy taking his opportunity.  He has barely put a foot wrong and I'm really pleased for him, he deserves it and he deserves the recognition.  When he signed in the summer it didn't get much more than a shoulder shrug from me.  What do I know?

Mendy is very good against the big teams as he is solid, does the simple things well and offers the defence protection. However, the difference between him and Ndidi really shows when we play the lesser / mid-table sides as Ndidi essentially does the work of two people, meaning that Tielemans and Madders can essentially play as 8s, giving us an extra option going forward. This allows us to take more control over those games, safe in the knowledge that Ndidi will be there to mop things up. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, murphy said:

You're right.  Wilf is a force of nature.  He wins balls that he has absolutely no right to and he is the best at doing that job in The Premier League imo.

Great to see Mendy taking his opportunity.  He has barely put a foot wrong and I'm really pleased for him, he deserves it and he deserves the recognition.  When he signed in the summer it didn't get much more than a shoulder shrug from me.  What do I know?

Nuffink

• Thanks 1

On 26/10/2020 at 11:41, Clever Fox said:

Where did you get that idea from what I said. ( Maddison on the wing.) Maddison can only play one position and that's the 10 role. Which thankfully Brendan is realizing now.

Wilf got injured because we're asking too much of him. He needs someone in there with him and Mendy is the best we have for the role. He's been consistently our best player this season. If memory serves me right he had the highest stats t in the role in the French league when we signed Kante.

He would also bring balance to our midfield with Youri playing just in front of the Wilf and Mendy.

Our defensive unit would be really good and with the addition of Under on the wing and  Maddison behind the front two or three, We'd be strong going forward also.

things are really starting to look brighter.

So you're somehow playing Mendy, Ndidi, Tielemens, and Maddison, with a three?  That formation sounds all over the place mate. Mendy and Ndidi holding with Tielemens ahead and Maddison ahead of him. Weird formation. Have you ever watched football before?

• Like 1

....and to think he was going to play in the Middle East somewhere. Crazy. No way would I have thought he was half the player he is after watching him last season. Touch of Class.