Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

25 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

I agree with you 'credit where credits due', but call me a cynic, there will be a thread started on FT by someone if he has a shocker and it won't be constructive. 

Your probably correct. I can’t deny I came out and slaughtered him after the home match vs Brighton last year but I’m not so stubborn to ignore when he deserves to be praised. He was fantastic vs City and deserves every credit he gets.

Yes he’s not the most talented and that won’t change as such but he’s certainly performed better than I thought he could get to over these past few games.

1 hour ago, deanolegend1989 said:

To be fair to answer this properly. Mendy this season has been very much improved.

Hes making me eat my words for sure so far but I’m happy for him.

Hes a likeable guy and when I said quote ‘he’s a league 1 player at best’ it wasn’t because I didn’t like the guy but more because he to me didn’t offer anything.

The Brighton match at home last season he was very poor and he doesn’t offer much going forward.

However so far this season he has been a lot stronger and winning free kicks when he needs and his passing has been a bit more risky and not basic sideways passing. His confidence seems improved and also think that he looks a lot fitter.

In fact I mentioned the other day a Youri and Praet seem to of gone up a level as has JV. Think over the summer we have clearly been doing some good training so fair play to our staff it seems.

Anyway back to Mendy, pleasure you see him making me eat my words.

Barring a fairly poor 2nd half vs Burnley where he look tired and made a few mistakes similar to Puels era that should of been punished, he’s been fantastic so far. West brom he looked a class above and yesterday he was my top 3 players behind Vardy and Youri. 

I stick by the fact that I never ever want to see him starting alongside Ndidi because that’s never worked as they both get in each other’s way and don’t have attacking attributes needed meaning we look blunt, however I take my Back ‘league 1 at best’ comment. He looks improved and great cover for Ndidi.

Keep it up little fella.

Fair play! 

Pappy has always been a good player as a metronome type player France seem to like, however I have noticed in his starts this season he has been playing a higher tempo and looking to get the ball forward  quicker which is definitely down to Brendans coaching,  and he looks a better player for it. Well done Brendan and the coaching staff👏👏👏

• Like 1

He’s got such quick feet. Some of the close control play in tight spaces against Man City from him, Tielemans and Praet was phenomenal. His wee shimmy and pass for the first goal was unreal. Of course I’m not saying he’s better than Ndidi or Kante overall or in the long term but his display against Man City was up there with the best either of those have produced. Well done wee man. X 

Edited by RumbleFox

10 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

He’s got such quick feet. Some of the close control play in tight spaces against Man City from him, Tielemans and Praet was phenomenal. His wee shimmy and pass for the first goal was unreal. Of course I’m not saying he’s better than Ndidi or Kante overall or in the long term but his display against Man City was up there with the best either of those have produced. Well done wee man. X 

You’ve been in Scotland too long now pal, come home. It’s for the best x

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

To be fair to answer this properly. Mendy this season has been very much improved.

Hes making me eat my words for sure so far but I’m happy for him.

Hes a likeable guy and when I said quote ‘he’s a league 1 player at best’ it wasn’t because I didn’t like the guy but more because he to me didn’t offer anything.

The Brighton match at home last season he was very poor and he doesn’t offer much going forward.

However so far this season he has been a lot stronger and winning free kicks when he needs and his passing has been a bit more risky and not basic sideways passing. His confidence seems improved and also think that he looks a lot fitter.

In fact I mentioned the other day a Youri and Praet seem to of gone up a level as has JV. Think over the summer we have clearly been doing some good training so fair play to our staff it seems.

Anyway back to Mendy, pleasure you see him making me eat my words.

Barring a fairly poor 2nd half vs Burnley where he look tired and made a few mistakes similar to Puels era that should of been punished, he’s been fantastic so far. West brom he looked a class above and yesterday he was my top 3 players behind Vardy and Youri. 

I stick by the fact that I never ever want to see him starting alongside Ndidi because that’s never worked as they both get in each other’s way and don’t have attacking attributes needed meaning we look blunt, however I take my Back ‘league 1 at best’ comment. He looks improved and great cover for Ndidi.

Keep it up little fella.

Fair play for coming out and owning your mistake mate.

But I often see this "x player has improved defence" from posters who have been unfairly harsh on some of our own players and been proved wrong. 

Mendy is 28 he hasn't suddenly woken up one day this summer and become twice the player. He has always had the potential to be this good. It just you and other posters preferred not to try and see it and to concentrate on the negative aspects of his game. 

Hopefully this experience will teach you to be a bit more patient and positive when looking at members of this fantastic squad. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

But I often see this "x player has improved defence" from posters who have been unfairly harsh on some of our own players and been proved wrong. 

Mendy is 28 he hasn't suddenly woken up one day this summer and become twice the player. He has always had the potential to be this good. It just you and other posters preferred not to try and see it and to concentrate on the negative aspects of his game. 

Hopefully this experience will teach you to be a bit more patient and positive when looking at members of this fantastic squad. 

Yeah, he was just never given a sustained period of game time and a proper chance to prove himself. You could see the potential early on but some were quick to judge (on superficial stats), like what we have done even more to Silva and Diabetes. The latter two to me have also shown potential to do well here (you’ve got to focus on them; look at their positioning, how they run, how they use their feet, all the little things, etc), but they were just not given the chance and on the odd occasions they played some just saw the bad. It is like what is happening with Praet too - he was already showing up as a good player before he arrived and in glimpses last season while he was not given any sustained period of game time, and now all of a sudden some think he became twice the player overnight. He didn’t but is just now able to show more of what he can do in the right team combination (with Tielemans next to him).

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Whilst I agree I was very harsh and hes proven to be certainly capable more than I believed he could be, I do believe he has actually improved especially in his fitness.

Not just him but Praet and Tielemens have all looked incredible so far. That and mendys confidence are so much better. Watch him in vs Brighton last season, it’s like chalk and cheese.

I believe he’s improved , but I also believe that you need to use him correctly. He’s not cut out to play with Ndidi but that’s very obvious I think. Where I was wrong is that if he’s the anchor with legs in front of him, he can more than cover and mop up effectively. He’s not the level of Ndidi but a more than able cover and it’s better business than I initially thought to sign him on again.

Edited by deanolegend1989

Mendy and Ndidi occupy the same space of the pitch but that is where the similarity ends. They are 2 very different types of players and are not interchangeable. If we are playing 4141 or 4123 Ndidi is the best as the 1 protecting the back 4 Mendy is not very good in that role. The difference against Man City was he had Tielemans as a midfield partner and they worked as a team hunting the ball together and playing their way out of danger together.

Ndidi is a lone destroyer who works better on his own, playing as part of a double pivot just gets in his way, as a lone destroyer he has license to hunt the ball and snuff out the danger and not worry too much positionally. Mendy isn't fast enough or strong enough to play that role but playing with Tielemans seemed to bring the best out of him.

It was obviously a specific formation for Man City, but I wouldn't be upset to see us line up like that again against West Ham, injuries permitting, maybe Under in for Praet to play a more adventurous 343.

• Like 1

Dean's point about Brighton is probably merited - I didn't watch the game so cannot comment - but I think the whole squad was suffering somewhat. Given the bitty nature of his career since his injury against Arsenal, I think it's a minor miracle that Mendy has found a way back, and as someone rightly said, he must be very tough mentally. That's a player to keep and nurture. 

• Like 2

There's a reason why Mendy has been though four managers at LCFC and none of them have soured on him.  He's very capable and has no glaring weaknesses in his game.  He doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well but everything decently, and those are great guys to have as squad players.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

There's a reason why Mendy has been though four managers at LCFC and none of them have soured on him.  He's very capable and has no glaring weaknesses in his game.  He doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well but everything decently, and those are great guys to have as squad players.

Also, despite him being pretty small, apparantly he’s got a massive wang.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Dean's point about Brighton is probably merited - I didn't watch the game so cannot comment - but I think the whole squad was suffering somewhat. Given the bitty nature of his career since his injury against Arsenal, I think it's a minor miracle that Mendy has found a way back, and as someone rightly said, he must be very tough mentally. That's a player to keep and nurture. 

hmmm.

I would say it was less about calling out Mendy as not being very good post Brighton, I don’t particularly think he’s all that and unlike everyone else here my mind is not going to be swung over by a couple of good performances but this is besides the point. It was somewhat the manner of the post. 

I believe he was described as talentless, league one at best, wouldn’t get into our wonderful 2006 side and the most limited footballer he had ever witnessed. Now, he didn’t have a great game, but that is clearly a load of shit.

1 hour ago, Manwell Pablo said:

hmmm.

I would say it was less about calling out Mendy as not being very good post Brighton, I don’t particularly think he’s all that and unlike everyone else here my mind is not going to be swung over by a couple of good performances but this is besides the point. It was somewhat the manner of the post. 

I believe he was described as talentless, league one at best, wouldn’t get into our wonderful 2006 side and the most limited footballer he had ever witnessed. Now, he didn’t have a great game, but that is clearly a load of shit.

I definitely agree with the 2nd paragraph. And yes, the manner irked me too, but some people have to be treated with extra care on here - nobody likes being corrected, but some are more equal than others! At least he didn't call him 'a lump of coal on legs' as one who shall remain nameless did. 

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I definitely agree with the 2nd paragraph. And yes, the manner irked me too, but some people have to be treated with extra care on here - nobody likes being corrected, but some are more equal than others! At least he didn't call him 'a lump of coal on legs' as one who shall remain nameless did. 

Well, thankfully I missed that particular little gem.

Hope they got a lifetime ban.