Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

Think Wilf is the better bet as a holding single pivot ie. in a 4-1-4-1 formation. But given how well Mendy has played in tandem with Youri playing a bit deeper think he’s the better option in a double pivot due to being better on the ball than Wilf ie. in a 3-4-2-1 formation. 

Great to have both options, but still don’t think they’ll be able to play together which is a shame as they’re both good players just too similar.

• Like 1

He was great today, close control, vision and quickness in thought. He is a different kind of player to Ndidi, more consistent positionally, Ndidi is at his best when he's pressing and making tackles higher up the pitch. 

I think it Ndidi/Mendy combination could work at times but we'd obviously miss Tielemans ability to pass forwards into spaces. 

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Wilfred Ndidi was seen as our most important player only a few months ago and probably still is if we want to play 4-1-4-1 but Mendy has been unbelievable this season in various different set ups and right now he is undroppable.

I am frightened to see what happens if and when we have everyone back, is 4-1-4-1 with 2 wingers, 2 attacking full backs and 2 box to box midfielders the best system for us? Maybe being a touch pragmatic actually makes us a better all round team and we still shit goals when we need to so it's not as if we're the 2020 version of a Gary Megson team. 

What a time to be a Leicester fan, Mendy is my POTS so far.

The competition for that accolade is pretty fierce but I can’t disagree. I’m amazed every time I watch him play and can’t believe he has been here 4 years and not shown/been able to show this. What a turnaround.

I'm not downplaying how good Ndidi is but there are a good few games per season that I would rather see Mendy play. 

Although Papy has been excellent against the bigger teams this year, Ndidi offers more defensive security and should start but in games like Fulham, Burnley, WBA and the like I would go for Mendy. He obviously, first and foremost tightens us up at the back but he's better on the ball and in those games where we have more possession, he is better suited. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Wilfred Ndidi was seen as our most important player only a few months ago and probably still is if we want to play 4-1-4-1 but Mendy has been unbelievable this season in various different set ups and right now he is undroppable.

I am frightened to see what happens if and when we have everyone back, is 4-1-4-1 with 2 wingers, 2 attacking full backs and 2 box to box midfielders the best system for us? Maybe being a touch pragmatic actually makes us a better all round team and we still shit goals when we need to so it's not as if we're the 2020 version of a Gary Megson team. 

What a time to be a Leicester fan, Mendy is my POTS so far.

I also agree with this, though Tielemans could also take it.

Someone mentioned that we might see 343 with Ndidi as the middle centre back and I think that is possible. That gives us even better aerial protection at the back whilst keeping Mendy in the team. Evans / Soyuncu / Fofana is the first choice back three but with so many games in the season we will need to rotate. So we could play Ndidi and Mendy in the same team and not resort to Puel like crab football.

As it stands though I agree that in the 343 system he is undroppable!

He's now showing elements of his game that I didn't know existed. That moment today where he was in precarious position outside our box. Not only did he shield the ball perfectly, he outmuscled his man, took the ball forward, sprayed it out right and started an attack.

Undroppable.

It is so wonderful to see this guy without injuries and full of confidence. I used to moan and groan about him playing and now I don't even think twice. He reminds me of Makelele. He does everything so simply and to great effect. One of those guys who just allows our creatives to play.

Mendy plays well in this system, with 3 at the back, because he's not a ball winner. He doesn't have to worry about tracking a man so much, he doesn't have to worry about protecting the centre backs. His job is to beat the press and turn defence to attack as quickly as possible, a job he's doing tremendously well for us.

N’Didi is more of an enforcer, to win the ball, protect the centre backs and distribute the ball to our ball playing midfielders. 

Having both Mendy and N’Didi means that we not only have options in personnel but in styles and formations. When everyone is fully fit we really will have options and this is where Rodgers will actually be tested. Not only does he have to get the selections right, he has to get the formation right.

Soynucu doesn't look as comfortable in a 3, Mendy doesn't look as comfortable playing in front of a 2. Justin is far, far better on the right than he is on the left. Can Fofana play on the left? It's a good problem to have, but we seem to have stumbled (or rather been forced to play) a formation and style that works for us. When everyone is fit and available I don't think we can play this formation with what is classed as our "starting 11" but do we change it?? 

Big club problems hey.....? 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Mendy plays well in this system, with 3 at the back, because he's not a ball winner. He doesn't have to worry about tracking a man so much, he doesn't have to worry about protecting the centre backs. His job is to beat the press and turn defence to attack as quickly as possible, a job he's doing tremendously well for us.

N’Didi is more of an enforcer, to win the ball, protect the centre backs and distribute the ball to our ball playing midfielders. 

Having both Mendy and N’Didi means that we not only have options in personnel but in styles and formations. When everyone is fully fit we really will have options and this is where Rodgers will actually be tested. Not only does he have to get the selections right, he has to get the formation right.

Soynucu doesn't look as comfortable in a 3, Mendy doesn't look as comfortable playing in front of a 2. Justin is far, far better on the right than he is on the left. Can Fofana play on the left? It's a good problem to have, but we seem to have stumbled (or rather been forced to play) a formation and style that works for us. When everyone is fit and available I don't think we can play this formation with what is classed as our "starting 11" but do we change it?? 

Big club problems hey.....? 

Yeah I think this is pretty much spot on as assessment of the different qualities and limitations of Mendy vs Ndidi.

I'm not sure if Soyuncu can't play in a back 3, but I think the people assuming we're automatically going to switch to a back 3 of Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu once they're all fit may be in for a bit of a surprise. Having a converted FB fill the 3rd CB position gives a more natural fluidity to the formation when we need to transition from defence to attack. I wouldn't be too surprised to see either Fuchs or Justin retaining their place ahead of Soyuncu initially when we chose to utilise the 3-4-3 formation, however, at the same time I think we'll see a bit more chopping and changing between different formations and set ups from game to game once we have everyone back fit. 

13 hours ago, Foxes96 said:

Think Wilf is the better bet as a holding single pivot ie. in a 4-1-4-1 formation. But given how well Mendy has played in tandem with Youri playing a bit deeper think he’s the better option in a double pivot due to being better on the ball than Wilf ie. in a 3-4-2-1 formation. 

Great to have both options, but still don’t think they’ll be able to play together which is a shame as they’re both good players just too similar.

Basically this. In the current formation Mendy is undroppable at present, even when Ndidi returns. But if we go 4141 then Wilf seems the best option. I can’t remember us ever having so much squad  strength. Imagine saying last year that a fully fit Ndidi might not even get in the starting 11. Mendy has been my personal POTS so far this year, he’s unreal. X 

Edited by RumbleFox

16 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Yeah I think this is pretty much spot on as assessment of the different qualities and limitations of Mendy vs Ndidi.

I'm not sure if Soyuncu can't play in a back 3, but I think the people assuming we're automatically going to switch to a back 3 of Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu once they're all fit may be in for a bit of a surprise. Having a converted FB fill the 3rd CB position gives a more natural fluidity to the formation when we need to transition from defence to attack. I wouldn't be too surprised to see either Fuchs or Justin retaining their place ahead of Soyuncu initially when we chose to utilise the 3-4-3 formation, however, at the same time I think we'll see a bit more chopping and changing between different formations and set ups from game to game once we have everyone back fit. 

Thats kinda what I was trying to get at. A fully fit squad means our "starting 11" isn't actually our starting 11. 

I wouldn't want to see Mendy play in a 4141, he can't sit as well and protect the back 2 as well as N’Didi can.  With 2 attacking fullbacks we'd be extremely exposed. I can't see us playing 343, 532, 352 with both N’Didi and Soynucu to pick from. This is what causes the selection headache. To play either or should, in theory, mean we have to change our system to get the best from the team. That means we have to drop (rest) one of Evans or Fofana, Justin, either Mendy or N’Didi. 

Like I said, in theory,  we have 2 teams to choose from both with different options and styles. A 343 with the players we have now, but with Soyuncu being fit, do you play him Evans and Fofana, or do you leave Justin in as RCB? Although I think Justin played well yesterday, his performance did drop off when shifted left. We shouldn't, and probably won't, shoe horn in into the side. But on paper, do you choose Justin at centre back over Soyuncu? Assuming Ricky and Castange have the starting spots as the wide men. Playing 4141 means you have to choose from Evans, Fofana and Soyuncu. Justin can slot in at rb meaning we don't have to rush Ricky back, which is another positive. But we can't switch to that until N’Didi is fully fit, as Mendy doesn't look as comfortable in that role. All of this, of course, dictates how we play going forward where we now have just as many options. Maddision seems to have adapted to the "coutinho" role Rodgers tried to force on him last season, but can of course play deeper and more central. With Barnes coming on leaps this season and Under showing flashes, we could (hopefully) be frighteningly good going forward. 

The one player that plays in either system is Tielemans, cannot be understated his role in this team. 

Good options to have, but I wouldn't want to Rodgers having to make these decisions. A fully fit squad to choose from in the (hopefully) not so distant future is where he will really earn his money. 

As a Leicester fan, this really is an odd situation to be in. Our 1st 11 has picked itself for years, now, despite all the murmurings between us all about how thin our squad is/was, we have a squad that can adapt to what is put in front of it. 1 or 2 more players and we really will have taken the next step. 

• Like 2

What a time to be following little old Leicester ay. The fact that we're discussing how good Mendy is compared to near as damn it one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe, have we ever been so spoilt? Add into that Tielmanns, Praet, Maddison and the odd Choudry master class id say on current form we've never had a better Centre midfield spine