Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

11 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Rodgers obviously wanted Hamza, Dennis and Pappy out . That has shown , at least to me, his judgment on players is not as good as some think. That could go for Kelechi and Dan as well. 

The treatment of some of them doesn't quite go along with "man manager" Brendan!

• Like 2

On 05/10/2021 at 20:44, moore_94 said:

At the time we had to register the squad Mendy still had options to leave the club, including that move to Galatasaray which eventually broke down.

Would have been pointless at the time to register him and leave out Benkovic only for Mendy to then possibly leave and basically have wasted a squad place.

The fact that he was given options to leave the club, despite being by far the best available back up to Ndidi at CDM (compared to Hamza) merely emphasises the weakness in some of our recruitment this summer. We are weaker at CDM than last season and tbh it’s a genuine surprise to me that we weren’t looking at cover for Ndidi that was better than Mendy. Instead we decided to buy one midfielder in Soumare who as far as BR is concerned is not even a CDM! Couple that with the loss of Praet and we are worse now in a key area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

The fact that he was given options to leave the club, despite being by far the best available back up to Ndidi at CDM (compared to Hamza) merely emphasises the weakness in some of our recruitment this summer. We are weaker at CDM than last season and tbh it’s a genuine surprise to me that we weren’t looking at cover for Ndidi that was better than Mendy. Instead we decided to buy one midfielder in Soumare who as far as BR is concerned is not even a CDM! Couple that with the loss of Praet and we are worse now in a key area.

Don't think we need cover that's better than mendy tbh. He's good cover. His biggest issue is his fitness but hes fine as cover. We just made a mistake that was truly unspeakable by leaving him out. Hamza ain't even a dm. And we wanted to sell him.. Just absolutely incompetence on our behalf.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sometimes feel like the only one who really dislikes mendy as a footballer. He had a couple good games in his 3-4 years at leicester, notably against man city. Apart from that he has been pretty dreadful. Rarely wins the ball back or does anything of note going forward. His only benefits compared to hamza are that he can stand in the right position and he can pass (although he seems incapable of passing forward and will kill any counter attack when he does magically win a ball back) Not good enough for the PL imo but I do think i'm in the minority here which is quite interesting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheFiveTime said:

I sometimes feel like the only one who really dislikes mendy as a footballer. He had a couple good games in his 3-4 years at leicester, notably against man city. Apart from that he has been pretty dreadful. Rarely wins the ball back or does anything of note going forward. His only benefits compared to hamza are that he can stand in the right position and he can pass (although he seems incapable of passing forward and will kill any counter attack when he does magically win a ball back) Not good enough for the PL imo but I do think i'm in the minority here which is quite interesting.

Don’t worry your certainly not. If people genuinely think Mendy coming in will improve us, they are living in fantasy land.

Last season people think he did ok because we had a great defence with Justin Fofana Evans and Castange , and despite this we had games where we were awful. He was the problem and the reason we wernt consistent when we had an otherwise strongest squad.

When Wilf came back in November-December, we had a fantastic run and it showed our potential but then Justin injured and Madders and Barnes followed and so we never really got our best team out except a little 5/6 game period I remember where we looked fantastic.

If Mendy came in now he would be shown up even more because now we’d have Amartey, Vestergard, Bertrand behind.

If we ever have Mendy in and a back 4 with these idiots, we seriously are in danger of relegation, especially with Newcastle now going to rise in Jan.

Only Norwich and maybe Burnley I’m confident we are better than. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Don’t worry your certainly not. If people genuinely think Mendy coming in will improve us, they are living in fantasy land.

Last season people think he did ok because we had a great defence with Justin Fofana Evans and Castange , and despite this we had games where we were awful. He was the problem and the reason we wernt consistent when we had an otherwise strongest squad.

When Wilf came back in November-December, we had a fantastic run and it showed our potential but then Justin injured and Madders and Barnes followed and so we never really got our best team out except a little 5/6 game period I remember where we looked fantastic.

If Mendy came in now he would be shown up even more because now we’d have Amartey, Vestergard, Bertrand behind.

If we ever have Mendy in and a back 4 with these idiots, we seriously are in danger of relegation, especially with Newcastle now going to rise in Jan.

We are better than Palace, Brighton, Burnley (all of whom scraped points against us when we are absolutely at rock bottom)  Norwich, Southampton, Leeds and we'll probably finish above Brentford, Wolves too

15 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

So close Deano, you weren't far off a whole year out of the Mendy thread!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rather unsurprisingly, Papy Mendy wants out

Cheap fee or a loan in January then

http://sportwitness.co.uk/id-like-leave-leicester-city-player-reveals-exit-desire-hopes-will-get-done-soon/

“I’d like to leave” – Leicester City player reveals exit desire, hopes ‘it will get done’ soon

Renewing his contract with Leicester City until 2023 in August of last year, Nampalys Mendy seemed to think he had a future with the Foxes.

However, summer signings appear to have since limited his game time, and the 29-year-old is now stuck at the King Power Stadium, limited to just 31 minutes in the EFL Cup with the first-team this season.

It’s not something he wants to continue, and he made that clear to the Senegalese media on Sunday evening in quotes relayed by APS.

He said: “In club, it’s normal, it’s logical, I’d like to leave. I hope it will get done, but I need to be patient”.

Arriving in a £14m deal from OGC Nice back in 2016 to try and fill the gap left by the sale of N’Golo Kanté to Chelsea, the defensive midfielder never managed to impose himself at Leicester.

He even returned on loan to the Ligue 1 side for the 2017-18 season, but that didn’t really help his prospects, as he has only made 80 appearances for the Foxes in the five years he has been contracted to them.

An exit seems extremely likely, but Leicester first have to find someone who wants to buy him, or at least loan him for the rest of the campaign, since his contract doesn’t expire until 2023.

5 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/id-like-leave-leicester-city-player-reveals-exit-desire-hopes-will-get-done-soon/

“I’d like to leave” – Leicester City player reveals exit desire, hopes ‘it will get done’ soon

Renewing his contract with Leicester City until 2023 in August of last year, Nampalys Mendy seemed to think he had a future with the Foxes.

However, summer signings appear to have since limited his game time, and the 29-year-old is now stuck at the King Power Stadium, limited to just 31 minutes in the EFL Cup with the first-team this season.

It’s not something he wants to continue, and he made that clear to the Senegalese media on Sunday evening in quotes relayed by APS.

He said: “In club, it’s normal, it’s logical, I’d like to leave. I hope it will get done, but I need to be patient”.

Arriving in a £14m deal from OGC Nice back in 2016 to try and fill the gap left by the sale of N’Golo Kanté to Chelsea, the defensive midfielder never managed to impose himself at Leicester.

He even returned on loan to the Ligue 1 side for the 2017-18 season, but that didn’t really help his prospects, as he has only made 80 appearances for the Foxes in the five years he has been contracted to them.

An exit seems extremely likely, but Leicester first have to find someone who wants to buy him, or at least loan him for the rest of the campaign, since his contract doesn’t expire until 2023.

Don't blame him. 

Very unfairly treated here. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Thought that it was ridiculous that we didn’t even register him. He’s ten times better than Choudhury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

He’s ten times better than Choudhury.

Neither are good enough. At least Choudhury can cover ground in midfield, Mendy is the least ambitious passer in the squad and doesn’t have the legs to offer enough defensively.

In an ideal world we shift both of them for a cheaper & better replacement - which I think is very possible. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Thought that it was ridiculous that we didn’t even register him. He’s ten times better than Choudhury.

Would it make a difference? I doubt it. Let’s let Mendy move on, we already have. 

Edited by The_77

Just now, Matt_Lcfc said:

I have mentioned it in another thread before but at the time we had to register the squad (which is usually not too long after the transfer window closes) Mendy will have been looking and trying to move clubs, as we saw with his move to Galatasaray that broke down

Wouldn't have made sense to register him when he could be leaving, and at the time it made sense to register Benkovic due to our defensive issues

Hindsight can be a pain but it was the right decision at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

Neither are good enough. At least Choudhury can cover ground in midfield, Mendy is the least ambitious passer in the squad and doesn’t have the legs to offer enough defensively.

In an ideal world we shift both of them for a cheaper & better replacement - which I think is very possible. 

Neither are good enough for our starting eleven but Mendy is a good enough squad player. I remember him being excellent at times last season - both Man City and Arsenal spring to mind. I’m not acting like he’s a superb player because as you say, he’s quite limited and offers nothing go forward but Choudhury is literally championship standard. He gets away with it because he’s a local lad. Every time he plays he is an absolutely liability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I have mentioned it in another thread before but at the time we had to register the squad (which is usually not too long after the transfer window closes) Mendy will have been looking and trying to move clubs, as we saw with his move to Galatasaray that broke down

Wouldn't have made sense to register him when he could be leaving, and at the time it made sense to register Benkovic due to our defensive issues

Hindsight can be a pain but it was the right decision at the time.

Didn’t think about that. Still would’ve personally taken the gamble as clearly there were no intentions to play Benkovic. On the other hand, he was and is still only one CB injury away from playing.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

21 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Neither are good enough for our starting eleven but Mendy is a good enough squad player. I remember him being excellent at times last season - both Man City and Arsenal spring to mind. I’m not acting like he’s a superb player because as you say, he’s quite limited and offers nothing go forward but Choudhury is literally championship standard. He gets away with it because he’s a local lad. Every time he plays he is an absolutely liability.

Mendy is championship standard as well

CA2078BF-C3E9-493E-9183-522A8E4D3A64.thumb.jpeg.7dec0ddad2ca400c7d256adf0c3040c6.jpeg

It’s a shame. Would rather we engineered the squad make up much better, in January. Getting Praet and Mendy, back, and shipping out Benkovic, Choudhury & Perez.

Someone will probably tell me this isn’t possible because of x y z… blah blah whatever. It’s too complicated for my simple brain.

• Like 2