Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

On current form he’d walk into 75% of PL teams as a nailed down starter…. Awesome back up

And, (in a way) quite a shame he’s not playing more…. Ndidi is simply one of the best in the business 

I'm glad he hung about long enough for him to know, in the end, he got some love from the fans (they do read social media, they know) and he didn't leave a 'failure'. 

Disastrous first season ruined thro injury. Shipped out on loan season 2, and some rather ill judged tho understandable comments about not wanting to come back. Claude reinvented him for a half decent third season then completely frozen out by Rodgers for season 4. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-dont-final-say-leicester-city-player-speaks-current-situation-changes-hands/

“I don’t have the final say” – Leicester City player speaks out about current situation, changes out of his hands

Used regularly in the first half of the campaign by Brendan Rodgers at Leicester City, Nampalys Mendy has seen his game time drop considerably of late.

Starting just two of their last nine games, the defensive midfielder has spent more time on the bench than off it, but that didn’t stop him from getting called up to the Senegal squad for the first time in his career.

Previously going through the youth squads with the France national team, playing in every age group from the U17s to the U21s, Mendy never managed to earn himself a cap under Didier Deschamps, but that doesn’t mean he actively snubbed the African country.

Speaking to Record, relayed by Senegal7, the player made it clear Aliou Cissé’s phone call was the first time he’d ever heard from anyone within the Senegal national team.

Deciding to play international football with them going forward, the Leicester player was also asked about his current situation at the King Power Stadium, where he has seen his time on the pitch dwindle.

He said: “These days, the manager makes his choices. Regarding what concerns me, I’ve always tried to do my best by giving body and soul during training. I continue like that all the while knowing I don’t have the final say”.

15 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/i-dont-final-say-leicester-city-player-speaks-current-situation-changes-hands/

“I don’t have the final say” – Leicester City player speaks out about current situation, changes out of his hands

Used regularly in the first half of the campaign by Brendan Rodgers at Leicester City, Nampalys Mendy has seen his game time drop considerably of late.

Starting just two of their last nine games, the defensive midfielder has spent more time on the bench than off it, but that didn’t stop him from getting called up to the Senegal squad for the first time in his career.

Previously going through the youth squads with the France national team, playing in every age group from the U17s to the U21s, Mendy never managed to earn himself a cap under Didier Deschamps, but that doesn’t mean he actively snubbed the African country.

Speaking to Record, relayed by Senegal7, the player made it clear Aliou Cissé’s phone call was the first time he’d ever heard from anyone within the Senegal national team.

Deciding to play international football with them going forward, the Leicester player was also asked about his current situation at the King Power Stadium, where he has seen his time on the pitch dwindle.

He said: “These days, the manager makes his choices. Regarding what concerns me, I’ve always tried to do my best by giving body and soul during training. I continue like that all the while knowing I don’t have the final say”.

One slip, One Stretching twist & turn, One wrong tackle...

Then 4 competitions Next season...

We Need that quality, that Mendy brings..hes one Player that I want to stay, hes not only earnt it,

he has more than proved he belongs..!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

One slip, One Stretching twist & turn, One wrong tackle...

Then 4 competitions Next season...

We Need that quality, that Mendy brings..hes one Player that I want to stay, hes not only earnt it,

he has more than proved he belongs..!!

I like Mendy, but those squad midfielder roles are where we are going to see a bit of churn - Praet, Mendy, Hamza, D-H back off loan, Tavares (if he re-signs), Leshabela - even if we get CL football, the club will be making choices.

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I like Mendy, but those squad midfielder roles are where we are going to see a bit of churn - Praet, Mendy, Hamza, D-H back off loan, Tavares (if he re-signs), Leshabela - even if we get CL football, the club will be making choices.

if some leave it would be Hamza and Praet you would think, no way we let both Hamza and Mendy leave

• 6 months later...

Massive mistake not putting Papy Mendy in the Premier League squad. With Rodgers not seeing Soumare as a CDM (even though he’s played that role numerous times for Lille) we are now reliant on Hamza, and he isn’t in the same class as Mendy. We’ve spent money in the summer and somehow we’ve made ourselves weaker in the CDM role. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Massive mistake not putting Papy Mendy in the Premier League squad. With Rodgers not seeing Soumare as a CDM (even though he’s played that role numerous times for Lille) we are now reliant on Hamza, and he isn’t in the same class as Mendy. We’ve spent money in the summer and somehow we’ve made ourselves weaker in the CDM role. 

Our manager is seemingly a clown with certain favourites. These favourites include all the culprits of the infamous covid party that derailed our top 4 charge last season. How Choudhury is still at this club remains a myth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

At the time we had to register the squad Mendy still had options to leave the club, including that move to Galatasaray which eventually broke down.

Would have been pointless at the time to register him and leave out Benkovic only for Mendy to then possibly leave and basically have wasted a squad place.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

At the time we had to register the squad Mendy still had options to leave the club, including that move to Galatasaray which eventually broke down.

Would have been pointless at the time to register him and leave out Benkovic only for Mendy to then possibly leave and basically have wasted a squad place.

I’m pretty sure this was the reasoning behind it. 

He's a quality player who has been treated badly by Brendan. Why give him a new 3 year Contract if he wasn't going to part of our plans.

He should have been released at the time. In my experience when you treat players badly it comes back to bite you.

• Hamza will never be as good as Mendy unless he refocuses and then it's even doubtful.
  • If given a chance I believe both he and Youri could form a very successful partnership as Mendy rarely loses possession.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Benkovic has Evans/Soyuncu/Vestegaard/Amartey, probably even Justin+Ndidi ahead of him at CB too in Rodgers's eyes.

Mendy would be first choice, after Ndidi.

Terrible decision, leaving the squad so unbalanced.

Especially when we know Ndidi gets injured every year under Rodgers because of him being unable to manage a squad properly. 

2 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Benkovic has Evans/Soyuncu/Vestegaard/Amartey, probably even Justin+Ndidi ahead of him at CB too in Rodgers's eyes.

Mendy would be first choice, after Ndidi.

Terrible decision, leaving the squad so unbalanced.

Especially when we know Ndidi gets injured every year under Rodgers because of him being unable to manage a squad properly. 

Why would you register a player who was possibly leaving in the next few days and essentially waste a squad place?

It was the right thing to do at the time.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Why would you register a player who was possibly leaving in the next few days and essentially waste a squad place?

It was the right thing to do at the time.

This is down to management of the situation. A player doesn’t just leave. If we didn’t want Mendy to leave, we don’t let him leave. 

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

This is down to management of the situation. A player doesn’t just leave. If we didn’t want Mendy to leave, we don’t let him leave. 

We obviously wanted him to leave or were happy to let him leave though.

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Rodgers obviously wanted Hamza, Dennis and Pappy out . That has shown , at least to me, his judgment on players is not as good as some think. That could go for Kelechi and Dan as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Well yeah! And that was a bad decision. Another bad decision, to compound the first, was to not play him in the only competition he can play in, the league cup!

Some really stupid ideas going on at our club currently 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Well yeah! And that was a bad decision. Another bad decision, to compound the first, was to not play him in the only competition he can play in, the league cup!

Some really stupid ideas going on at our club currently 🤷🏻‍♂️

He wasn’t fit enough to play 

also, away at millwall doesn’t strike me as the best place for an unfit pappy to strut his stuff. (And yes, it’s almost impossible for him to become fit enough) 

there is a fair bit of revisionism and hindsight in this thread ……

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He wasn’t fit enough to play 

also, away at millwall doesn’t strike me as the best place for an unfit pappy to strut his stuff. (And yes, it’s almost impossible for him to become fit enough) 

there is a fair bit of revisionism and hindsight in this thread ……

I agree. My point is, the whole Mendy situation, and having the right squad options has been really badly handled.

• Like 1

First of all, I like Mendy. Secondly, it looked like he'd be sold. Thirdly, he was getting routinely found out as last season wore in. 

Fourthly, and perhaps most importantly, whether or not he's being treated badly, he's being paid money I could only dream of to do not a lot other than behave himself. It's unfortunate for sure, and quite possibly an error by the club (I refuse to lay all the blame at one man's door), but like Iheanacho, he's paid handsomely not to feel entitled to anything other than his weekly pay.