Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

It made sense to give Mendy the new contract at the time, but I think last season proved he isn't up to it, even after a bright start. His lack of mobility is a real issue given the way we play and the lack of legs amongst our other midfielders. He'd likely be better in either a double pivot where he won't get exposed as much defensively, or in a slower paced league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

Neither are good enough. At least Choudhury can cover ground in midfield, Mendy is the least ambitious passer in the squad and doesn’t have the legs to offer enough defensively.

In an ideal world we shift both of them for a cheaper & better replacement - which I think is very possible. 

He’s actually a good passer of the ball. He’s much better than Choudhury. Bizarre how he’s been pushed out this season particularly when Rodgers doesn’t see soumare as being able to play as the deep lying pivot. Basically means we have no cover for Ndidi. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Rather unsurprisingly, Papy Mendy wants out

Cheap fee or a loan in January then

http://sportwitness.co.uk/id-like-leave-leicester-city-player-reveals-exit-desire-hopes-will-get-done-soon/

“I’d like to leave” – Leicester City player reveals exit desire, hopes ‘it will get done’ soon

Renewing his contract with Leicester City until 2023 in August of last year, Nampalys Mendy seemed to think he had a future with the Foxes.

However, summer signings appear to have since limited his game time, and the 29-year-old is now stuck at the King Power Stadium, limited to just 31 minutes in the EFL Cup with the first-team this season.

It’s not something he wants to continue, and he made that clear to the Senegalese media on Sunday evening in quotes relayed by APS.

He said: “In club, it’s normal, it’s logical, I’d like to leave. I hope it will get done, but I need to be patient”.

Arriving in a £14m deal from OGC Nice back in 2016 to try and fill the gap left by the sale of N’Golo Kanté to Chelsea, the defensive midfielder never managed to impose himself at Leicester.

He even returned on loan to the Ligue 1 side for the 2017-18 season, but that didn’t really help his prospects, as he has only made 80 appearances for the Foxes in the five years he has been contracted to them.

An exit seems extremely likely, but Leicester first have to find someone who wants to buy him, or at least loan him for the rest of the campaign, since his contract doesn’t expire until 2023.

Another Rodgers masterclass. This is where Rodgers needs to be challenged and critiqued. Same with praet. Mendy is miles better than choudhury yet guess who were keeping..... And mendy is the perfect backup to ndidi... Shame 

Edited by NasPb
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NasPb said:

Another Rodgers masterclass. This is where Rodgers needs to be challenged and critiqued. Same with praet. Mendy is miles better than choudhury yet guess who were keeping..... And mendy is the perfect backup to ndidi... Shame 

He is at best ineffective.  There is absolutely no way he is miles better than Choudhury.  On par yes but no more than that. Has no height and is so slow.  Added to that the sideways or backwards passing means he very rarely has an influence on games.  No assists or goals.  Best we get rid if he wants to go.  

How is he the perfect back up to Ndidi?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Analysis does not support the idea that Mendy is significantly better than Choudhury. Particularly defensively. Both are pretty mediocre in terms of passing and offensive contributions, and Hamza is better defensively. Mendy and Ndidi are almost nothing alike in terms of play style and ability, whereas Hamza is a much closer type of player, albeit not quite as good as Ndidi. Mendy is tidy enough, but what does he offer?

image.png.7b6d5b02e83f8e1d9acb0febe76b1f6e.pngimage.png.551c95fd7805056c3fb895c00ca3214e.png

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

Whether we have Choudhury or Mendy makes little difference, neither have the quality required as anything more of a stop gap.

The club tried to move on both in the summer which probably tells you all you need to know. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

Analysis does not support the idea that Mendy is significantly better than Choudhury. Particularly defensively. Both are pretty mediocre in terms of passing and offensive contributions, and Hamza is better defensively. Mendy and Ndidi are almost nothing alike in terms of play style and ability, whereas Hamza is a much closer type of player, albeit not quite as good as Ndidi. Mendy is tidy enough, but what does he offer?

image.png.7b6d5b02e83f8e1d9acb0febe76b1f6e.pngimage.png.551c95fd7805056c3fb895c00ca3214e.png

the eye test tells the difference. id agree regarding heading and all that but in truth mendy is much more solid imo

• Like 1

So are the ways of fooball....some players come through a managers tenure,some Fall by the side...

each manager will have success stories, & ones that just fall out  of favour because the path that manager choses to take...

Fans ,will blindly follow their own agendas ,but they have no incling of sitting in a managers chair, 

& Never faced a Sporting managers descisions or responsibilities. Plus thankfully they Never get near that hot seat....!

Said many times..This forum just cant Pick a player...Posters are too fickle towards players Waves of form, & individual players character

to fit into that managers team-build...

Nobody at fault, just how Things run...Mendy as  been a Good Servant when we needed him, ..

if you like he Bloody Damn well Held the fort with hard & honest Profi performances...

But not seen as that Player that can Drive us forward towards the Next Phase of Team & squad growth...

This Dire need to always criticise the manager at every turn is quite pathetic...

Edited by fuchsntf

Similar issue to Kelechi in that it doesn’t really matter how well he plays - he’s competing with one of the top 2/3 players in their position for just one place in the team.

I actually like the guy and think he’s a decent player. Can see him slotting into a number of PL sides. 

On 16/11/2021 at 12:52, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

He's put a good string of performances together a few times when given the chance, something I'm still waiting for hamza to do. Feel like he's been very harshly treated here and hope he can find first team football somewhere decent. 

Hamza has been more harshly treated in terms of game time and would be able to sharpen up his passing were he to be trusted with more time on the pitch.  Not that I'm suggesting that Hamza is the better player.  In fact, there's no point comparing the two because they are totally different types of midfielder.

I can see Hamza's worth over Mendy at present because he offers a combatative quality in midfield that we are sadly lacking in most games, and no one else is as strong in that regard (except for Ndidi, of course, but he does that effectively from a much more defensive position, shielding the CBs).  Sometimes I think we sorely need a Hamza type to bolster and stiffen up our midfield, but it is sad that he hasn't been given the opportunity, maybe not even the encouragement, to progress under Rodgers (whereas he did well under Puel) and one can never be confident enough in his ability to step up immediately to a high enough level were he thrown into the fray now.

• 2 months later...

Man of the Match today for Senegal as they head into the AFCON Semi Finals

Highly improbable he gets a move this window now and along with us probably not signing anyone I imagine he will take Benkovic’s place in the Prem squad

Edited by moore_94
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Highly improbable he gets a move this window now and along with us probably not signing anyone I imagine he will take Benkovic’s place in the Prem squad

I watched the game - MOTM ?  Really 

he did ok but odd if he was awarded that …..

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Play him at centre half, like Mascherano but playing downhill.