Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
splinterdream

What level are we at now???

15 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Please calm down.

We're a side that's aiming for the top 6 again, but once we start to play European games I think we'll drop off slightly. Lets just try and get as many wins as possible before the EL starts then aim for 40 points.

You may not mean it but i find being told to calm down quite patronising, I'm 45 years old and have followed Leicester most of my life, I am calm and like every other fan, hoping for the best and expecting the worst. I'm asking other opinions on many points, as i said when Rodgers joined us in 2018, i thought in 2019/20 we'd get top 6 unless we had big problems, I think Rodgers thought that as well which is why he was so keen, we really exceeded that and should have been top 4. I know Chelsea have signed some serious talent and there's all sorts that can happen but there's no harm in chit chatter, this is what it's all about no?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, shailen said:

Nothing has changed. We're not as bad as the end of last season and we're not as good as the first half of last season. Saying that I don't think we're far off from being a top 4 team and we should be aiming to get champions league each season. I believed that at the start of the season and still believe that. We're a young squad that is only going to get better. 

I think some things have changed.  I think that we are stronger with Castagne as opposed to Chilwell and I think that Under for Perez will improve us.  If we can get that elusive centre half then we are a better team than last year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, murphy said:

I think some things have changed.  I think that we are stronger with Castagne as opposed to Chilwell and I think that Under for Perez will improve us.  If we can get that elusive centre half then we are a better team than last year.

Fair point. If that happens, do you think we're closer to the likes of Liverpool and Man City then we are to Chelsea, Spurs, Utd, Arsenal etc?

I've watched those four teams a fair bit and I think our first XI is stronger than all the rest. 

8 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

You may not mean it but i find being told to calm down quite patronising, I'm 45 years old and have followed Leicester most of my life, I am calm and like every other fan, hoping for the best and expecting the worst. I'm asking other opinions on many points, as i said when Rodgers joined us in 2018, i thought in 2019/20 we'd get top 6 unless we had big problems, I think Rodgers thought that as well which is why he was so keen, we really exceeded that and should have been top 4. I know Chelsea have signed some serious talent and there's all sorts that can happen but there's no harm in chit chatter, this is what it's all about no?

Didn't mean to come across as that, apologies.

We had a similar thread last year where people were saying this team was better than the 15/16 champions one. We won about 5 of the next 23 games, so it's important to keep a level head and take it one game at a time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

agreed, castagne improves us, Chilwell is no loss, if Amartey regains his form before his injury we have depth, Mendy who we thought maybe mediocre is playing like the player we wanted to sign before N'didi, Justin is improving imo, as is Barnes, Tielemens seems to have regained his form, Praet has shown what an asset he is, we have a new winger and looking at a centre half. We have improved. 

• Like 1

I think we’ve been a bit lucky so far but more importantly we’ve played well and banished any hangover from last season. I still think we’ll finish mid table because the fixture congestion will take its toll and we’re already picking up injuries. 

Hopefully the biggest positive from today is that Rodgers realises he has to be a bit braver against the biggest sides if we want to take points against them. 

Bizarrely, West Han might price to be our toughest game so far because they’re not injury ravaged and they’re physical which is normally what we struggle against 

Whilst I don't want to get carried away and as a Leicester fan, I always have some trepidation, something special is happening and being built.

It isn't going to happen straight away, but I believe we are on the cusp of becoming an elite Premier League club. 

Sky might have to call it the 'Big 7' soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Still think the squad lacks quality in depth but our strongest 11 is almost as good as any in the league 

My feelings too.

Huge credit to Rodgers for shaking off the whole post Covid fiasco last season. There's still a long way to go until May 2021, especially with the EL but these are very encouraging signs. 

• Like 1

Rogers got it spot on today tactically. That was a major shift from what he would normally do imho. I think we are still where we all know we are - better than when we lose bad and not as good as we think we are when we win big. But - we are good enough to challenge the top 4, but to what extent, who knows.

• Like 1

We have a top 4 first team, and a top 12 squad.

If we can keep our key players injury free through a grueling campaign including an energy saping European tour we should be aiming for top 6 and above.

Considering the size of our club it is staggering to be in such a good place right now.

• Like 3

I really am very excited by this team. The big test will obviously come when we pick up injuries and have to contend with EL matches on top of PL.

Given a little luck on the injury front I believe top 4 is certainly not beyond us.

First choice team is outstanding but we now have some depth. Brendan seems to have found the key to Papy and Daniel which is a massive bonus with all the extra games we will have. I'd still like to see the addition of another quality CB so that we have the cover for rotation / injuries.

If Under turns out to be as good as we all hope then the front line will be awesome and will only improve. It would be useful to add another attacker but atm may not be quite the priority many on here think. Obviously any problems with Vards would be a blow but with our potential attacking prowess I reckon Nacho would produce the goods. It's great to see that after 3 games we have scored 12 goals. Even taking Jamie out of that we have 7 goals. Most on here would have been more than happy with such a return (7) from the first 3 games.

COYB

Edited by seymour
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Still think the squad lacks quality in depth but our strongest 11 is almost as good as any in the league 

We look very vulnerable at the back. Get a centre half in, and I'll start to breathe more easily. Yes, our first choice 11 is good, but there will inevitably be injuries and suspensions.

9 hours ago, seymour said:

I really am very excited by this team. The big test will obviously come when we pick up injuries and have to contend with EL matches on top of PL.

Given a little luck on the injury front I believe top 4 is certainly not beyond us.

First choice team is outstanding but we now have some depth. Brendan seems to have found the key to Papy and Daniel which is a massive bonus with all the extra games we will have. I'd still like to see the addition of another quality CB so that we have the cover for rotation / injuries.

If Under turns out to be as good as we all hope then the front line will be awesome and will only improve. It would be useful to add another attacker but atm may not be quite the priority many on here think. Obviously any problems with Vards would be a blow but with our potential attacking prowess I reckon Nacho would produce the goods. It's great to see that after 3 games we have scored 12 goals. Even taking Jamie out of that we have 7 goals. Most on here would have been more than happy with such a return (7) from the first 3 games.

COYB

The problem is, it’s not just as easy as saying take Vards goals out and we score 7. He is absolutely crucial to how we play and without him we don’t just lose his huge goal input, but his movement and the ability to win games playing deep like yesterday but still having a threat. We’d never be able to play as deep and compact without a world class striker like Vardy. Otherwise we wouldn’t get further enough up there field to attack in tight space and scraps. Vards is unbelievable on such little actual service(3 shots 3 goals again, conversion % rates through the roof season on season out).

He didn’t just score a hat trick, he won both the crucial pens, he marked rodri out the game, he made some incredible runs(Barnes missed a great chance that Vardy opened up for him).

He is an absolutely elite striker and much as Nacho has been ok, Vardy is irreplaceable.

Like I said in a previous post about him, no player is more feared about in the entire league and he’s the main reason that we seem to always ‘win big’ when we get ahead in games.

The amount of times we run away with games when there stretched is all down to him. He’s a unique gift of a player. An injury to him will be very hard to cope with.

Him, Youri and Soyuncu for me are huge players where we don’t have anyone to cover. The others possibly but those 3 are just in another level. Tielemens dictates the pace of the game and has the ability to create like no one else. Without him we’d be too blunt to be consistent enough.

Say in fantasy land, every team picked there first 11 and were never injured, I honestly think we ‘d be title contenders were that good at our best. Squad wise though top 6 would be a good season but top 4 would be fantastic and should be the target that we could achieve with a bit of luck and injury free!

Its exciting! The disappointment to the end of last season has been a learning curve for them all. Management and players have all clearly looked at themselves and maybe honest conversations have been had. Brendan believes and the players are believing in Brendan. They look like a team who are loving playing together right now. Timmy looks like he has fitted in with the team brilliantly already. Chuffed to bits!

11 hours ago, jim5000 said:

We have a top 4 first team, and a top 12 squad.

Probably 4th - 8th

PL position may be affected if we go deep in the UEL.

So many variables.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Dream Big, always hate it when fans say don't get carried away, that's the managers and players job. 

As footy fans we should always dream the impossible. 

We should always dream the impossible yes.

However, keeping some grip on reality as fans isn't a bad thing either.

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Probably 4th - 8th

PL position may be affected if we go deep in the UEL.

So many variables.

We should always dream the impossible yes.

However, keeping some grip on reality as fans isn't a bad thing either.

100% its about remembering no-one is guaranteed success, and having reasonable expectations.

• Like 1