Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
splinterdream

What level are we at now???

2 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

The problem is, it’s not just as easy as saying take Vards goals out and we score 7. He is absolutely crucial to how we play and without him we don’t just lose his huge goal input, but his movement and the ability to win games playing deep like yesterday but still having a threat. We’d never be able to play as deep and compact without a world class striker like Vardy. Otherwise we wouldn’t get further enough up there field to attack in tight space and scraps. Vards is unbelievable on such little actual service(3 shots 3 goals again, conversion % rates through the roof season on season out).

He didn’t just score a hat trick, he won both the crucial pens, he marked rodri out the game, he made some incredible runs(Barnes missed a great chance that Vardy opened up for him).

He is an absolutely elite striker and much as Nacho has been ok, Vardy is irreplaceable.

Like I said in a previous post about him, no player is more feared about in the entire league and he’s the main reason that we seem to always ‘win big’ when we get ahead in games.

The amount of times we run away with games when there stretched is all down to him. He’s a unique gift of a player. An injury to him will be very hard to cope with.

Him, Youri and Soyuncu for me are huge players where we don’t have anyone to cover. The others possibly but those 3 are just in another level. Tielemens dictates the pace of the game and has the ability to create like no one else. Without him we’d be too blunt to be consistent enough.

Say in fantasy land, every team picked there first 11 and were never injured, I honestly think we ‘d be title contenders were that good at our best. Squad wise though top 6 would be a good season but top 4 would be fantastic and should be the target that we could achieve with a bit of luck and injury free!

Absolutely. It isn't simply his finishing or his continual pressing, it's also his movement off the ball. His decoy runs in particular yesterday were so clever. 

A lot of games to negotiate this season, but we should be good enough for a top half finish and knockout rounds in Europe.

Depending on how we manage injuries and fatigue, we could challenge for European places again.

4-6 points from the next 2 games before we start our Europa campaign would be massive for how we can approach the rest of the season.

14 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Still think the squad lacks quality in depth but our strongest 11 is almost as good as any in the league 

I find myself agreeing with this statement less and less as the weeks go on.

It seems whenever someone gets injured, another player slots in and does a comfortable job. It's a pattern that we're starting to see as the injuries are romping up - Praet for Maddison, Castagne for Ricardo, Amartey doing a job in a back 3, Mendy for Ndidi, etc. Of course injuries mean thin squad but knowing that we have few individual backup plans across the floor, it gives me a lot of promise when we do have a fully fit squad once again.

Edited by Fox42

We are an established Premier League Club.

Over the duration of 38 games, plus cups etc, I think we’ll finish somewhere between 4th and 8th with the current squad. 

We have key areas of the team, similar to Spurs in a way, that could see us struggle with injuries. We can’t lose Vardy, like they can’t lose Kane. 

It’s done us a favour not being in the League Cup and I’d arguably say we assess the FA Cup when we get to January. If we’re going well in the League and Europa, then I’d be inclined to sacrifice it for the long term financial benefit. 

4 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

The problem is, it’s not just as easy as saying take Vards goals out and we score 7. He is absolutely crucial to how we play and without him we don’t just lose his huge goal input, but his movement and the ability to win games playing deep like yesterday but still having a threat. We’d never be able to play as deep and compact without a world class striker like Vardy. Otherwise we wouldn’t get further enough up there field to attack in tight space and scraps. Vards is unbelievable on such little actual service(3 shots 3 goals again, conversion % rates through the roof season on season out).

He didn’t just score a hat trick, he won both the crucial pens, he marked rodri out the game, he made some incredible runs(Barnes missed a great chance that Vardy opened up for him).

He is an absolutely elite striker and much as Nacho has been ok, Vardy is irreplaceable.

Like I said in a previous post about him, no player is more feared about in the entire league and he’s the main reason that we seem to always ‘win big’ when we get ahead in games.

The amount of times we run away with games when there stretched is all down to him. He’s a unique gift of a player. An injury to him will be very hard to cope with.

Him, Youri and Soyuncu for me are huge players where we don’t have anyone to cover. The others possibly but those 3 are just in another level. Tielemens dictates the pace of the game and has the ability to create like no one else. Without him we’d be too blunt to be consistent enough.

Say in fantasy land, every team picked there first 11 and were never injured, I honestly think we ‘d be title contenders were that good at our best. Squad wise though top 6 would be a good season but top 4 would be fantastic and should be the target that we could achieve with a bit of luck and injury free!

I agree  - what I said is simplistic and of course Jamie is far more than just goals. Certainly we should be looking to develop a long term replacement. Still good to know that there are goals elsewhere in the team. Not so long ago there were many on here concerned because of the lack of goals from the rest of the team.

Youri - in his current form would be very hard to replace without the kind of funds available to the much richer clubs. Even for them it would be hard.

Soy - huge player for us  indeed and one of the reasons I think we need another quality CB, He isn't as key to our current form as Youri.

On the evidence so far I would add Castagne alongside those two. Looks an inspired piece of business so far.

For now I'm happily in my fantasy land with LCFC at the top and the only injury concern being when we get Ric & Wilf back.

Long may it continue :)

6 minutes ago, LCFOX92 said:

Well the last time we lost to arsenal and smashed man city at away... Nah it's to early but the signs are good and with rodgers willing to change tactics something he failed at last season I dunno skys the limit and I'm a optimist.

Having followed City since 1963 my optimism is sometimes in short supply, thrilled with our result yesterday though.

A separate subject. But If you had to make a list of "best things to happen to the premier league", we have to be on the list don't we? Everything we do is just bat shit crazy. 

No wonder Harchester United was based on / used us, because you could make a 20 season TV show from all the shit that's gone on here over the years. 

• Like 2

Same as last season, capable of beating anyone, capable of putting a string of results together and capable of getting in a great position to actually win something.

But we are also capable of dramatic capitulations, throwing away great chances to win and going on runs of relegation form. 

Where we end up depends on our consistency and how many of the "big 6" have poor seasons. Spurs, Chelsea, United, Arsenal all underperformed at times over the last few seasons. Hopefully we can maintain our status as best of the rest and take advantage when the wheels come off Ole's bus or Jose has a meltdown or Arteta and Lampard have their lack of managerial experience exposed.

Prior to the start of the season, I'd put us down for a mid-table position further to the issues of our disappointing second half of last season, EL commitments, and some seemingly obvious deficiencies in the squad. 

The start has been really great and has shown we can achieve much better than that. But I'm not getting too carried away yet although I do think beating Man City so convincingly on their own turf is a major psychological boost that is potentially season transforming. 

Squad wise, the addition of Castagne is significant. I think he is a step up from Chilwell in his reading of the game as witnessed in Vardy's goal yesterday. 

I think we are still a striker light and possibly a centre back, especially with the EL coming up. 

I am chuffed Amartey got to play in what many think would be his best position. But he still looks a 'confidence' player, some touches were a little worrying, and I would not be too presumptious as yet to see him as the CB squad answer yet, despite being a fan as it were. But I'd love to see that rather than spaffing £40 million plus on Tarkowski. 

If all clicks with our key players, we add well where necessary, we have no other major injuries throughout the campaign, and Rodgers genuinely tactically gets it right (as yesterday seemed to show promisingly), then top 6 is definitely on and who knows what more possibly. Exciting times ahead. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

A separate subject. But If you had to make a list of "best things to happen to the premier league", we have to be on the list don't we? Everything we do is just bat shit crazy. 

No wonder Harchester United was based on / used us, because you could make a 20 season TV show from all the shit that's gone on here over the years. 

I agree lol it’s beautiful following this club.

You could argue that nearly every season since 11/12 there has been as you say ‘bat shit’ type mental/rollercoaster/eye opening style headlines.

Id say that 12/13-20/21 only the 17/18 season did we have a season which was kinda ‘nothing’.

Even then we had some ****ed up results 5-4 and 4-3 away at both London giants were both pretty non standard.

12/13 was a rollercoaster. Mentally up then crazy downswing. Back up with exciting wins vs Bolton and Forest. Then Deeney day. Nuts.

13/14 absolute statement of a league campaign.

14/15 the greatest Escape comeback in Prem history.

15/16 the greatest sporting story to ever be told.

16/17 A CL quarter final, another yo yo crazy up and down form season.

18/19  Beating Chelsea away, City home, Everton away. Then losing constantly. Being in trouble. Sacking Puel. Suddenly yo yo form again and smashing it under BR.

19/20 unreal first half of season, unreal downswing. Nothing stable at our club.

20/21. Crazy start but you just never know. We could lose 10 in a row or win the title and Europa league double 😂.

Its certainly unbelievable supporting us. If and when we get relegated in the future, we will be a miss for the PL, we were worth our stay in a way that others wernt. Fulham, Bolton, Stoke etc in the league for like 10 seasons+ and they barely had a season in the top 10. We certainly never ‘just exist’. We’ll be remembered for not only winning the league but so much more!

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Same as last season, capable of beating anyone, capable of putting a string of results together and capable of getting in a great position to actually win something.

But we are also capable of dramatic capitulations, throwing away great chances to win and going on runs of relegation form. 

Where we end up depends on our consistency and how many of the "big 6" have poor seasons. Spurs, Chelsea, United, Arsenal all underperformed at times over the last few seasons. Hopefully we can maintain our status as best of the rest and take advantage when the wheels come off Ole's bus or Jose has a meltdown or Arteta and Lampard have their lack of managerial experience exposed.

Not quite. It’s only 1 game thus far this season, but last season we couldn’t beat any of the top 4.

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Prior to the start of the season, I'd put us down for a mid-table position further to the issues of our disappointing second half of last season, EL commitments, and some seemingly obvious deficiencies in the squad. 

The start has been really great and has shown we can achieve much better than that. But I'm not getting too carried away yet although I do think beating Man City so convincingly on their own turf is a major psychological boost that is potentially season transforming. 

Squad wise, the addition of Castagne is significant. I think he is a step up from Chilwell in his reading of the game as witnessed in Vardy's goal yesterday. 

I think we are still a striker light and possibly a centre back, especially with the EL coming up. 

I am chuffed Amartey got to play in what many think would be his best position. But he still looks a 'confidence' player, some touches were a little worrying, and I would not be too presumptious as yet to see him as the CB squad answer yet, despite being a fan as it were. But I'd love to see that rather than spaffing £40 million plus on Tarkowski. 

If all clicks with our key players, we add well where necessary, we have no other major injuries throughout the campaign, and Rodgers genuinely tactically gets it right (as yesterday seemed to show promisingly), then top 6 is definitely on and who knows what more possibly. Exciting times ahead. 

Possibly? More like definitely!

Edited by NaijaFox

Same as last season, I think; man for man, our starting XI is probably third best in the league. Our depth is terrible, and we'll suffer in the latter stages of the season. Could finish anywhere from 2nd to 8th and I wouldn't be surprised. Massive, massive bonus if we get through these first five games in a great position and have Ricardo, Maddison, Evans, Ndidi, Under all coming back from various stages of injury/lack of fitness/suspensions to feel like new players though.