Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

Top 4 feels like make or break in terms of keeping our best and making a few extra quality signings, whether it's young promising players or established. Just feels like the tipping point between continual improvement vs slight stagnation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Remains a complete enigma does Brendan

Generally he comes across as well spoken, educated in the game and approachable.

And we play some lovely football under him

Then there’s the other side... 

The fact that we had three players not in the squad today who ordinarily would have been, suggests that the discipline at the club is perhaps not as sorted as we all thought it was. It’s one thing to ban them, but the ban wouldn’t have happened if they hadn’t done what they did in the first place.

Then there’s games like today. Games where we literally are clueless. There’s no clear plan, we don’t do a lot when we go a goal done... effectively very little plan B

We genuinely have bottled it in the really big games. As in, when we need to at least not lose. We did it last season, quite dramatically, and it could happen again this term

Its baffling. And today WAS NOT due to Wilf being injured, Vardy being injured... blah di blah

We were just poor

But being poor is Not just a manager thing...

& About the so easy blah di blah....Noch Ndidi & Vardy have had long periods out...include other Player outages,

when has Rodgers had a period where our Quality Players have been readily available...

Also how can a manager Hope to Build up a character & future of a side, when no small group of Players has had a Match-fit run uninterrupted...!!

We have had 2 of Rodgers seasons competing Not just for Top 5 Europe but Top 4..!!  More than any expected remit...

I Really Don t understand Why at this Squad developing stage, throwing in then  Covid-bubbles ,where we Need to find & Grind out some negatives...

Yes it Hurts when One loses, But to Keep any decourum ,we cant seriously  consistently Keep having a go at Rodgers...IMO he s a Top Front man for our club..!!

Why we consistently start games so Massively is a mystery, But lets Not forget...under Puel we had this problem.

we are the 2nd best Team this season  in turning results around..

players having Bad games cant & isnt something that can be regularly throw at any managers door....

I might be Unique in this thought, But I cant say we have Bottled anything in These 2 seasons....We are Not a Club who has found itself in such high covetted positions, year in year out....its still something we as a club & group of players we are still learning....

So easy to go for the word failed, But its far oo early in Rodgers tenure so far to even have any utterings of the word, being so far we have progressed...

I will also mention again ...We Shouldnt Take it too lightly how an up und Coming squad, can be expected to Keep performing at an high level,

when regularly you players availability is decimated.....Again how do you Build up any rythme into your ,understand of  each others get out passes or delivery.

Pick up on runs & Spaces Made available...Competing for those Top 4 places we are doing, But Keeping it going at that level is not so easy....

We are far from a Team that has Bottled anything...!!  Let the crass pundits & shit Media Take that route & stance..!!  it aint easy if/when we lose Bit we have

been able to higher our goals somewhat, so the Slip ups happen at an higher level and therefore more profound....But we aint Bottled anything..!!

decimated

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Claridge said:

I dont understand why he thinks that back 3 is a good idea against West Ham or ever if Amartey is one of them. Caglar it works but even then I prefer us not to use it

He probably doesn't but, at the minute, who we playing out wide if we go with 442/4411/4231 ? He's right to play with 2  strikers.

1 minute ago, Manini said:

Without going full Gaelic Fox (hope you still read the forum buddy xx) he’s shown today that he understands the good, honest, working public that support this great football club. There’s no other man I’d rather have in charge right now. His head is in exactly the right place, doing what he can with the parts available to him. 

Agreed, don't understand at all the hysteria and overreaction at what was admittedly a poor performance.

Sitting third with 7 games to go, anyone with a grain of sense would have bitten your arm off for that at the start of the season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Exactly what I said and nothings changed. He’s a decent/ok manager but today is AGAIN why he’s not a great manager.

He is scared and doesn’t have the bottle when things get tough.

Liverpool in 2014 had won 11 games in a row , typical Brendan great when things are flowing. Chelsea game comes and they ‘only’ need a draw so he gets scared and they lose.

Same with last season, same with this season.

Today going with a back 5 was embarrassing. Even more so when they have no target man and quick players running from deep in Bowen and Lingard.

Moyes out did Brendan today it was embarrassing to see.

When he changed to 4 atb and brought Marc on I said ‘well done Brendan but too little too late’.

I almost wanted us to lose 6-0 to almost give an excuse of we ain’t got a good enough as a squad but obviously then we showed we have ability IF(If being the big word) we have a manager who sets up correctly.

The fact we were close to getting a draw from 3-0 down annoyed me more because it proved how weak they were. Remember they had no Rice and Antonio and BR still gets scared because it’s a big game we can’t really afford to lose so we do lose.

Ive often this season questioned BRs bottle but not once wanted him gone because he’s a likeable guy and I want him to be good, but this is another example of when things get tough we don’t have the bottle.

I can almost guarantee that if we needed just a draw vs Spurs final day for top 4, we’d still throw it away.

Im just never fully convinced at any moment we need some grit in a game with big circumstances that we have it in us.

Spot on

• Sad 1

My only complaint of Rodgers is that he edges towards caution rather than going for it in games. That's purely personal preference though, I'd rather risk taking a beating in an attempt to win than try to be hard to beat first.

Overall hes done a good job, hes blessed with the best playing squad this club has ever had. So it makes sense that hes got us in an around the top 4 most of the time. Our position compared to budget is probably false as we have a fair few players who are vastly underpaid.

I really hope he can push us on and make us a genuinely top team in this league. I do also think were now in a position  where we can hire top class managers, so if we were to part ways with Rodgers for whatever reason, were in a position to bring in another too quality manager.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

wtf did I just read.

You wanted us to lose, and not just that, wanted us to take an absolute hammering just to prove your own weak point lol?

You were annoyed that we nearly got a draw after being 3-0 down?

Funny how for you, when things go wrong it's Brendan's fault but when we show some ability and desire to get back in to the game (or any game we have even won before to get us to where we are), there's nothing for Rodgers at all from you?

You're never fully convinced is probably where the issue is. Sounds like you never will be whatever we do. Even if we won the Cup Final you'd be moaning that we didn't do it with 100% possession, perhaps not a clean sheet etc...

What kind of fan are you? It appears you actively want Rodgers to fail just to confirm your own bias and suit your own agenda? So weird.

For someone who seemingly gets 'scared' we've done fvcking well to get to 3rd with 7 games left, and beat the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Spurs all within one season. Considering we'd not even come close to doing that in any season before that I can remember (even in 15/16 we lost 3). 

Ne needs to be wsent to the Boundary with an IPL bat, Or tied to the stumps when Archer is bowling, Or Fall off the balcony expecting Tufnell to Catch him...

Just now, StanSP said:

wtf did I just read.

You wanted us to lose, and not just that, wanted us to take an absolute hammering just to prove your own weak point lol?

You were annoyed that we nearly got a draw after being 3-0 down?

Funny how for you, when things go wrong it's Brendan's fault but when we show some ability and desire to get back in to the game (or any game we have even won before to get us to where we are), there's nothing for Rodgers at all from you?

You're never fully convinced is probably where the issue is. Sounds like you never will be whatever we do. Even if we won the Cup Final you'd be moaning that we didn't do it with 100% possession, perhaps not a clean sheet etc...

What kind of fan are you? It appears you actively want Rodgers to fail just to confirm your own bias and suit your own agenda? So weird.

For someone who seemingly gets 'scared' we've done fvcking well to get to 3rd with 7 games left, and beat the likes of Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Spurs all within one season. Considering we'd not even come close to doing that in any season before that I can remember (even in 15/16 we lost 3). 

Firstly when I say I almost hope we lose 6-0 doesn’t mean I actually want to. But I knew what was coming , a great response showing AS USUAL that 4 atb we are SO much better it’s painful!

If Brendan waits till the games dead to ‘gamble’ and attack, that doesn’t mean he did well, he just had nothing to lose, which EXACTLY proves my point that he’s scared.

Easy at 2-0 and 3-0 down but when at 0-0 and we can attack and risk vs an under strength West Ham team or we can play 5 atb and try and knick a tight draw he chose the latter which shows exactly what I’ve suggested, that’s hes scared in the big moments to express.

If every single time we lose it’s ‘oh but were 3rd, oh but we will get in Europa, oh but we would of took this on 2008’ means absolutely nothing to the argument.

What that is doing is completely disregarding the quality of our squad. Making out like he’s doing such a good job to get these heights with our squad clearly means you don’t rate our squad.

Firstly he’s one of the highest paid managers in the league and (correct me if I’m wrong) have one of the higher wage bills on the league. This isn’t little Leicester punching well above our weight , that narrative is dead.

We have a far better squad than West Ham and they didn’t have there 2 best players today..so what does that suggest? Moyes is superior to Brendan?

Moyes hasn’t done anything since 2013 and he’s got a inferior West Ham team up alongside us, with a much easier fixture list left to play.

Its about time people wake up and smell the coffee and realise we are not a punching little Leicester with a limited squad doing so well. We are merely roughly where we should be and Rodgers is doing nothing other than being the definition of ‘ok’ - sometimes good, sometimes mistakes ..ok manager with a good squad.

If you don’t like negativity and for any opinion on BR that isn’t glowing, then we can all nod along happy. If we lose to Southampton ‘it’s ok semi is a good achievement’ drop out the top 4 ‘it’s ok we’re leicester’ then Brendan can’t fail can he?

Liverpool lost 6 home games in a row and have been littered with injuries, Chelsea have been awful and sacked a manager and balancing 3 competitions, West Ham have not had time to build like us, spent less money than us, pay less wages than us, pay less to their manager than us and yet we should be below them because what? Brendan is doing wonders with our limited squad 🤦‍♂️. Come on now.

If we drop out the top 4 for a SECOND season in a row then he’s well and truly failed. He will be seen as a bottle job and an unwanted pattern and he will not get a move to a bigger club.
He has 5 games in a row now(Southampton cup and 4 favourable league games) and really anything less than 5 wins will probably mean we don’t qualify.

1 hour ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Firstly when I say I almost hope we lose 6-0 doesn’t mean I actually want to. But I knew what was coming , a great response showing AS USUAL that 4 atb we are SO much better it’s painful!

If Brendan waits till the games dead to ‘gamble’ and attack, that doesn’t mean he did well, he just had nothing to lose, which EXACTLY proves my point that he’s scared.

Easy at 2-0 and 3-0 down but when at 0-0 and we can attack and risk vs an under strength West Ham team or we can play 5 atb and try and knick a tight draw he chose the latter which shows exactly what I’ve suggested, that’s hes scared in the big moments to express.

If every single time we lose it’s ‘oh but were 3rd, oh but we will get in Europa, oh but we would of took this on 2008’ means absolutely nothing to the argument.

What that is doing is completely disregarding the quality of our squad. Making out like he’s doing such a good job to get these heights with our squad clearly means you don’t rate our squad.

Firstly he’s one of the highest paid managers in the league and (correct me if I’m wrong) have one of the higher wage bills on the league. This isn’t little Leicester punching well above our weight , that narrative is dead.

We have a far better squad than West Ham and they didn’t have there 2 best players today..so what does that suggest? Moyes is superior to Brendan?

Moyes hasn’t done anything since 2013 and he’s got a inferior West Ham team up alongside us, with a much easier fixture list left to play.

Its about time people wake up and smell the coffee and realise we are not a punching little Leicester with a limited squad doing so well. We are merely roughly where we should be and Rodgers is doing nothing other than being the definition of ‘ok’ - sometimes good, sometimes mistakes ..ok manager with a good squad.

If you don’t like negativity and for any opinion on BR that isn’t glowing, then we can all nod along happy. If we lose to Southampton ‘it’s ok semi is a good achievement’ drop out the top 4 ‘it’s ok we’re leicester’ then Brendan can’t fail can he?

Liverpool lost 6 home games in a row and have been littered with injuries, Chelsea have been awful and sacked a manager and balancing 3 competitions, West Ham have not had time to build like us, spent less money than us, pay less wages than us, pay less to their manager than us and yet we should be below them because what? Brendan is doing wonders with our limited squad 🤦‍♂️. Come on now.

If we drop out the top 4 for a SECOND season in a row then he’s well and truly failed. He will be seen as a bottle job and an unwanted pattern and he will not get a move to a bigger club.
He has 5 games in a row now(Southampton cup and 4 favourable league games) and really anything less than 5 wins will probably mean we don’t qualify.

Not going into depth of the rest of your post. It’s opinion and it’s fair to have it. However, is the part in bold correct ? I find that hard to believe. The Gold/Sullivan era at West Ham (despite what Hammers fans say) has had the cheque book open. They’ve been heavy spenders (outside the top 6) since 2014. They also went down the route of getting the high profile/salaried manager in pellegrini. I think there was an interesting stat that the G/S era has yielded over 30 CFs to fill the position. They’re certainly not paupers.

3 weeks, and 2 games ago, we destroyed Man United in an FA Cup quarter-final having just walloped Sheffield United 5-0 the previous week. These last few days have been dreadful for the Club, no doubt about that. We have had so much thrown at us this season, but Brendan has never lost his cool, or resorted to moaning or complaints, unlike so many other managers with bigger budgets. I think the man is a class act. He was clearly rattled after today's game, no doubt by the defeat and the issues caused by Partygate, but again he remained calm and composed.

If he can take us to the Cup Final and keep us in the top four he will deserve manager of the season without a shadow of doubt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Not going into depth of the rest of your post. It’s opinion and it’s fair to have it. However, is the part in bold correct ? I find that hard to believe. The Gold/Sullivan era at West Ham (despite what Hammers fans say) has had the cheque book open. They’ve been heavy spenders (outside the top 6) since 2014. They also went down the route of getting the high profile/salaried manager in pellegrini. I think there was an interesting stat that the G/S era has yielded over 30 CFs to fill the position. They’re certainly not paupers.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/ - according to this, our wage bills are within £4 million of each other - when you allow we have extra pro compared to them within that wage bill, it pretty much as us level on wage bills. 

Net spends over the last five seasons - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/0?ids=a&sa=&saison_id=2016&saison_id_bis=2020&nat=&pos=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0

We have made a loss of £96.41 million and West Ham have made a loss of £170 million. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/ - according to this, our wage bills are within £4 million of each other - when you allow we have extra pro compared to them within that wage bill, it pretty much as us level on wage bills. 

Net spends over the last five seasons - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/0?ids=a&sa=&saison_id=2016&saison_id_bis=2020&nat=&pos=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0

We have made a loss of £96.41 million and West Ham have made a loss of £170 million. 

I thought so. If not on par, they are ahead. They've been "trying" for years. They seem to have found the perfect fit with Moyes. Our build seems far more calculated though. 

I think people need to reflect were we where when he took over and where we had been for a while 12th, 9th, and 9th the season he took charge were would would have finished in the bottom half with Puel.

2 Semi-Final in 2 and a quarter seasons, before that we hadn't reach a semi in any comp for around 20 years.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

He has done a fabulous job overall

His look yesterday looked disgusted and rightly saw

Like how can these 25 year men acted like 15 years olds, must make him think he is a baysitter rather than a football coach.

Edited by twister

Also another thing, he needs to get over his desire for a small squad. The lack of pace or genuine threat in the wide forwards positions is terrible. I can't believe we have nothing in the ressies as well. If we do want to compete on 2-3 fronts every season, we need more quality and he needs to be able to deal with juggling the quality. It's not good having 13/14 top 4 players and then the rest of the squad being made up of championship players. 

14 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Don’t back down from this mate. The usual suspects will laff at you but you are correct.

What I hope is that Brendan and the team now surprise us and finish 4th

But yesterday made me nervous for sure

I saw last seasons capitulation as a failure 

If we do it again now.... 😩

14 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

We have a good squad and a good manger, it doesn't have to be one or the other. 

We're third, with a budget that should put us about 8th or 9th. To suggest we aren't currently punching above our weight is just laughable and beyond comprehension. 

We have a far better squad than West Ham and they didn’t have there 2 best players today..so what does that suggest?

West Ham have a very good squad and have spent a lot of money assembling it. It might have escaped your attention. Take away Vardy's penalties and Nacho's sudden flurry of goals and we were missing our two top goalscorers from open play, that means we've we've tried to change formation to get goals on the pitch. 

I do think Rodgers can edge on the side of caution, but he's doing well with the squad. Puel towards the end was clearly not getting what he should out of the squad, I can't fathom how that can be labeled at Rodgers. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2