Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

16 hours ago, Manini said:

Deserves a fair bit of respect for cutting the three dickheads from the squad today. Would have been very easy to brush it under the carpet and pretend nothing happened to make sure our best players were playing, especially re Maddison, but he made the right call. I respect that a lot.

He had to act, otherwise the squad would have walked all over him. I've been there myself. However it's a little different nowadays in that the Board etc have to be involved.

So while Brendan may be the mouthpiece for the Club he may be also taking instructions from others.

Thankfully we are now a well run Club and I'm sure they will do what's right for all concerned. Maybe a hefty fine and a level of public humifaction might make them see they've done wrong. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Do people literally expect us to win every single game or something?

Of course not the game would become boring if we did. That's why I could never say that following Leicester for nearly 60 years.

But I could never follow a club like UTD or Man City either.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Yes. And it's embarrassing they're very vocal when we're not in form, if that. And yet still find something to complain about when things go well. They crave the attention on them and feel the need to be heard even when it's not even useful some of the words they utter... 

Just shows that the club as a whole has a lot of ambition. Picking on negatives when winning or doing well is not a bad thing if done in the right context. Of course, on FT the context is often lost/missing!

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think the biggest annoyance is when fans see how good we can be (e.g. first half of last season and most of this season) but then fall away at the end. Of course this season is not over and I am hopeful that we will have enough to grab a Top 4 spot but if we fell short again, it would be a second opportunity missed.

Imagine if we finished 2nd in 2015/16 right at the end after being so impressive. It would have been our best ever finish yet we would be annoyed at that missed opportunity of the next step.

I think at the end of the season we can reflect on the season and say it was successful (finishing in Europe again would be fantastic and FA Cup semi/final/win to add). The way the season seems to go is what annoys people and as above, shows the ambition we now have as a club. It feels much more draining finishing 5th after dropping out of Top 4 than finishing 5th having been mid table all season. Even though on paper, 5th is 5th.

All it takes is a positive result in the semi this weekend and then to go on a bit of a run, all of a sudden positivity will be everywhere in abundance.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Yes. And it's embarrassing they're very vocal when we're not in form, if that. And yet still find something to complain about when things go well. They crave the attention on them and feel the need to be heard even when it's not even useful some of the words they utter... 

You're being silly here (again) Stan

I doubt many people expect us to win every game. Eg did many people moan that much when we lost to Man City? I recollect a lot of ‘well it’s a free hit’ etc

What people DO expect is to put in performances to try to win games that are very winnable. Eg yesterday.

And to not open up big gaps at the top of the division, excite us all with dreams of the Champs League, only to then seemingly give in when we get so close. Aka last season and maybe this season too

Is that too much to expect? Of course it isn’t 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We wont win every game...

But... I don’t think yesterday first half we even tried to win the game..

Pissing around at the back, sideways, backward passes and going nowhere with possession..

If we want CL football we have to go out on the front foot to win games and show the opposition how good we are.. 

As good as West Ham have been this season , they had no Rice and Antonio and played with no recognised striker..

they showed a hunger that we lacked though first half whilst we were just happy to watch them play through us..

We defo don’t finish in the CL places..We finish 7th I reckon from here... not learnt our lessons from last season unfortunately 

West Brom up next... anyone for 5 at the back ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

@Babylon beat me to it.

You (again) along with others focus on the negative of the situation.

Read @deanolegend1989's post and look how you both skim over the good things we do, only to focus and hone in on all the bad things that could happen. 

I think you under-estimated West Ham if you think yesterday was 'very winnable'. That's not to say I had already admitted defeat, far from it. But given their form, it was always going to be a more difficult than easy game. Saying it's 'very winnable' to me meant your expectations are too high.

I don't think I'm being silly at all. You seem to have a problem with me expressing a fair and valid point, and not being unrealistic about the situation. You, and a select few others, seem to have a distinct problem with such realism and are all too quick to overlook where we are as a club and just how good we have been to get where we are.

The point is you suggested  people expect us to win every game

Which of course, is bollox

It was a flippant, nonsense comment made initially by Babs I think? And was a pointless one.

It’s like talking to 10 year olds sometimes on here.

I think what is being said is for LCFC to please not shit ourselves for a second year running and go and not do a bottle job again

Nothing more than that really but of course you want to spin a yarn as per

Edited by Col city fan

I don't expect to win every game and I'm delighted where we are and what we've achieved in recent seasons. 

Was yesterday's game winnable? 

I'd say very, with their players out and how good we can be. 

Yesterday, for whatever reason, we didn't turn up 1st half against a side that had lost its main target man. 

I can't imagine what a Kane or Salah would have done to us 1st half. 

We're better than that, as we all know. 

I think it's looking at the squad we've got and how CL football might enable us to keep Youri etc and add a bit, as well as keeping Brendan here as long as possible. 

Its hard to get there and even harder to stay there and it will be hard to swallow if we let it slip again

🤞💙

• Like 2

The formation blunts us.. it’s defensive and safe...

Our CBs dont know what to do with the ball and have no confidence to play through the lines into midfield...

Youri and Wilf then come to deep to collect the ball and we have nothing to aim at going forward and our passing process back to kasper and so on repeats itself..

Our set up was all wrong yesterday..

Was a shambolic 55 mins after which I switched off 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

I don't expect to win every game and I'm delighted where we are and what we've achieved in recent seasons. 

Yesterday, for whatever reason, we didn't turn up 1st half against a side that had lost its main target man. 

I think it's looking at the squad we've got and how CL football might enable us to keep Youri etc and add a bit, as well as keeping Brendan here as long as possible. 

Its hard to get there and even harder to stay there and it will be hard to swallow if we let it slip again

🤞💙

Super post 👍

56 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

🤞💙

I expected us to be losing at HT, the manner of the 2nd and 3rd goals were disappointing, as 2nd half I also expected a fightback, had the deficit been 1 or 2-0 we would of got something from the game. 

Can't tease us with Champions League football only to surrender sizeable leads towards the end lol thsts shat infuruates people.

I don't really have a problem with Rodgers. I just don't think he's this great manager that he's been made out to be. The media love him. If you listen to Jim White, Simon Jordan, Danny Murphy etc you'd think he's an elite manager, which he isn't. Rodgers is good for us and we are good for Rodgers. Mutually beneficial marriage. He'll be staying here for a good few more years, as I don't see a bigger club coming in for him (maybe Spurs). 

10 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

If the squad stays together + Rodgers we will be around the top 6 again next season which is success. 

Agree with your last part. It's hard to swallow if we miss out again. We had a 10 point lead on Liverpool about a month or so ago. But injuries have killed us. 

11 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Takes us into the top five once, maybe twice, maybe even top four.

Takes us into quarter finals and semi finals, maybe also a final and potentially a trophy.

He'll do for me.

My only worry about brendan is that his teams do have a choke potential.  I wonder if it is to do with the messages he gives them.  

I spent some time looking at research that shows that minfulness improves sports performance primarily thru players settling in "their game " quicker... and making better decisions throughout. This is because they are not distracted by previous recent events (or even earlier events in the same game) or thoughts of the enormity of the situation.

So i wonder what brendan says to them? It could be that he is saying to them: "you will be fine" (trying to get them to envision success...) but this may build up the enormity of the situation and become a distraction . This would  explain the "team choke" last season. Do we have a team psychologist ... 

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Rigga said:

The formation blunts us.. it’s defensive and safe...

Our CBs dont know what to do with the ball and have no confidence to play through the lines into midfield...

Youri and Wilf then come to deep to collect the ball and we have nothing to aim at going forward and our passing process back to kasper and so on repeats itself..

Our set up was all wrong yesterday..

Was a shambolic 55 mins after which I switched off 

Absolutely. 

22 hours ago, Babylon said:

If you look at the last two games, we lost the first to a superior team but we played into their hands really. We lost the second to a decent team but should have got a draw (and nearly did) through one of our very few bad defensive performances. We are probably one point down that's all. This is not a disaster. We recover our defensive solidity and we should be right in there for a top four place. If Liverpool and Chelsea have an unlikely winning run there is nothing we can do about it.

On 12/04/2021 at 11:03, Col city fan said:

Don’t back down from this mate. The usual suspects will laff at you but you are correct.

What I hope is that Brendan and the team now surprise us and finish 4th

But yesterday made me nervous for sure

I saw last seasons capitulation as a failure 

If we do it again now.... 😩

I know because the usual suspects on here(there’s a few obvious ones) are a bit small time and think everything’s perfect because in 2004-08 we were lucky to not go bust and had no money, so now things have changed, they are living in the past.

Just like when you criticise(and rightly so as it’s your opinion) how Amarty is one of the worst players to ever play for us and also my opinion how poor Mendy is and other views on Brendan Rodgers not fulfilling the potential of this team, they don’t want to hear that because they want ‘everything’s rosy we’re little Leicester’ mindsets for life.
You guarantee these will be the same people that wonder ‘will we ever be able to establish ourselves with the big 6’ and wonder why the media think we have no ambitions and that ‘we should keep Claudio Ranieri even if we get relegated’. It’s all small time and why we’ll never be a big club and sell all our assets all the time with this mindset.

What Brendan Rodgers has done is ‘decent’ SO FAR being the big words...nothing more nothing less. If we end up with no CL football and no cup then he’s failed. He bottled it with Liverpool, he bottled it last season, he bottled it vs an awful Villa team in a semi and if he does it again, it becomes more than just a coincidence. He is too scared to lose so sets up not to lose and ultimately we lose.

He set up to win with Liverpool, they won 11 on the spin, suddenly became favourites for the league. They only needed a draw vs Chelsea and he got scared. He set up more cautiously and they bottled it. I saw an interview with Stevie G after that saying ‘We had been playing so well and then we changed a bit more cautious’. I thought he was just shifting blame after it was his slip but over the last 2 years I see exactly he was right. The desperate 2nd half chasing the game, after setting up negative initially, looks so familiar every game Rodgers ever manages when things get tough.

Hes a great front runner but in adversity he shits the bed. Just little moments that no one would blame him for like that huge Bournemouth game running the show and he takes off Nacho to keep it tight, embarrassing negative decision again that cost us. A huge must win game vs Brighton at home and he bench’s Youri and plays a double pivot of Mendy and Ndidi with Madders on the LW! I could go on and on, but no he can hide behind injuries or being at a small club?

He’s got history for it, he’s got recent form for it and we’re shaking again.

We have a fantastic squad, the people who go on how he’s done so well are disrespecting or don’t understand the quality of our squad. We will NOT get a squad as good as this ever again potentially so we need to keep it together and by doing that we need CL football.

The opinion that ‘before he came in we were 9th 9th etc’ that’s a dead argument too. We hadn’t had arguably 1 of our top 5 best players and heartbeat of this current team Youri and Brendan inherited the dream.

If we fail to get CL, I fear hugely that Youri will leave. Wilf Cags Madders and little Wes and others all could too.

If even just Youri leaves, he’s irreplaceable. If we drop out top 4 Brendan will be here next year too. Everyone will then see how good Brendan is at getting his own team, rather than just riding the wave of a quality squad with one of the world best CMs as a heartbeat.

He lost Suarez at Liverpool and replaced with Balotelli, they had an embarrassing season and got hammered 6-1 to Stoke to rub it in. The next season he continued to show ineptness and he was shown the door.

He’s really done absolutely nothing to show he’s rated as highly as he did, bar winning trophies in a 1 team league whilst Rangers were rebuilding. Celtic had won lots of titles in a row so again he just inherited a winning machine and continued it...well done 👏👏👏.

He even failed and got cleaned every single time in Europe..the literal definition of failed everywhere except winning a 1 team league.

The reality is if you actually look deeper into his career and see the facts in detail, will show up a very very limited manager whose lucky to have a glowing media narrative that keeps him highly thought of by people who don’t follow him in detail.

Hes a good man manager, I believe he was right to do what he did with Madders Perez Hamza etc and he’s got a good style of football when we’re winning but his in game management is by far his biggest flaw and his bottle to be fearless when there’s a lot to lose and the pressure is on is a clear pattern.

I don’t believe anyone on here truly thinks our squad is worst than Arsenal or Spurs this season? Like it’s not even close. Arguably Chelsea Liverpool Man Utd and obviously City are better, so I’d say 5th roughly is on par and a season of ‘ok’.

So for Brendan to achieve something that actually requires the tag of ‘a good job’ or ‘what a good manager’ then he needs to get 4th+. Liverpool have had the season from hell, Chelsea similar and a manager change, if this season isn’t one we should be getting, then we never will!

If we get 5th it’s merely about where the sum of our squad should be. If we get 6th or lower then how can anyone with a straight face look in the mirror and say ‘Yeah we’ve done really well this season’.

For this squad to finish above arsenal or spurs squads is nothing to write home about, it would be a failure if we didn’t, the shower of sh*te mess there both in!

As I’ve said if Youri leaves and Brendan stays we’ll see how good a manager he is next year.

Hes an ok manager with a great squad not a great manager with an ok squad. If we lose our ‘great squad’ then he will show what he really is.

• Thanks 2