Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Has Pep ever worked on a small budget? 

Not that I am aware of. He is a good manager no doubt but he has always had the luxury of pretty much the best team at the right time with a decent wedge to spend. 

As a very good manager I doubt he would be able to do more with our squad than Rodgers has managed. I think Rodgers would likely be sitting at the top of the league if he were managing this Man City side. 

Just now, Koke said:

People underrating Pep lol His Barcelona team is still considered the greatest of all time. His current Man City team will go down as Man City's greatest team of all time. If its such a cakewalk to do what he's done then why hasn't it been done more frequently at other clubs who has endless money? 

I wasn't underestimating him. Just wondering if he'd worked on a restricted budget before now. 

2 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I wasn't underestimating him. Just wondering if he'd worked on a restricted budget before now. 

I mean we could say that about most top level managers, Pep, Tuchel, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Zidane, Conte etc.

Nobody asks if Zidane could do it at Derby County.

Edited by Koke

5 hours ago, 4everfox said:

With all due respect. Winning trophies with those Barcelona and Bayern teams was more of an expectation than an achievement. 

He didn't just win with Barcelona. He took them on another level and he's one of the main reasons football has come such a long way since 2008 where small teams like Fulham and Brighton are playing out from the back and so on.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 23:49, Red Squirrel said:

For those of us who have been supporting this club since the 60's/70's the level of success we have achieved over the last 10 years is astonishing 

15/16 was the greatest story in football history and I guess most of us never expected it could be repeated

What Brendon is doing is enabling us to compete at an elite level regularly, that has never happened in the history of the club.

He is the real deal, Enjoy it while you can 

Spot on Red Squirrel. I do get fed up with some of the nonsense that people post after one bad performance. A Man Utd friend of mine said in the early nineties they were on the edge of champions league success for several seasons. That’s how long it takes to get to the next level consistently and that is what we are trying to do, not without some success.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koke said:

People underrating Pep lol His Barcelona team is still considered the greatest of all time. His current Man City team will go down as Man City's greatest team of all time. If its such a cakewalk to do what he's done then why hasn't it been done more frequently at other clubs who has endless money? 

Great manager, but its not like he pulled Barc out of the gutter, they won the CL under Frank Rijkaard in 2005-6 and the League, 2007-8 lost in the Semi Final of the CL had a very good squad with arguable the best player in the world. 

He also failed to win the CL with BM and has really struggled in the CL with Man City.

2 CL out of 11 season with Barc, Man City and B Munich is about par. 

7 hours ago, Staff said:

I would be top 2 if I spent the same amount of money as them feckin charlatans 

...you have to have the talent...!!!

If they could not do the business then no club is going to give them a foot in the door. If that was the case any two bit coach could turn up at a top club and their owners would bank roll the project with a few hundred million.

These guys are not charlatans, they are just one of the best at the moment. 

13 hours ago, Manini said:

Would any of us have believed given the end to last season that we’d be fighting for top 4 and in a deep cup run again at this stage of the season? I didn’t foresee this I completely admit that. He’s done incredibly well to pick the boys up from the disappointment last season, he and they deserve enormous credit. We look a real classy outfit at the mo - we don’t look out of place at the top end of the division. 

Yes..because every season there is always the Next turn of the page....and I for One believed in the squad, and potential.

Too many was going OTT with Frustration & actually looking for blood and read too much into Silly stories ...

Rodgers came here with a Project layed out, he had /has the skills to take us forward, and I never thought we would waver from the big picture...

His First season would not define or Open to any doubts in the Club or his plans & aspirations ..

Some seem to still hold a Chip against him over our Fall off. Even though we had a tremendous start, we still had many Open unanswered questions

On the whole playing staff and wannabes....Then undisclosed, or kept off the radar, Major injuries, to then our major position quality players..

I believe and always Believed hes been doing a Great job....I Never over Analyse the individual games,especially how our Player availability was worse than

a merry-go-round...whatever happens from now...his tenure will still be underrated.

So far on selection ,formation,tactic suggestions & critic, fans on this forum have got it terribly wrong...far more often than Rodgers as slipped.

We still might stutter, on the way towards the EOS....

We dont know what the International break will do for our own aspirations...

Plus we might Feel Happy if we get back to a nearly Full squad, for our run in, But we must understand,

injury returnees are going to take time to come to their high Quality Performance levels...

Ricardo has been a Good example of this problem...Hes not been poor, but hes not been firing on all cylinders...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Koke said:

4th best manager in the league? After Pep, Klopp and Tuchel? Mourinho is finished as an elite manager. 

Edit: forgot about Ancelotti. But his football at Everton is absolutely shocking.

Let Tuchel First get through 1-2 seasons before we place him...

• Like 2

Let's also not forget he's continued to bring in, admittedly often out of necessity, younger players into the squad this season. Who knows how many of them will become first team regulars but it's good to see this continuing to be a big part of the vision.

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...you have to have the talent...!!!

If they could not do the business then no club is going to give them a foot in the door. If that was the case any two bit coach could turn up at a top club and their owners would bank roll the project with a few hundred million.

These guys are not charlatans, they are just one of the best at the moment. 

I wasn't being serious bro 😂

Respect where respect is due Pep is a great manager. Love him or hate him the man is a winner and his record speaks for itself. He has a style and philosophy that is unwavering. He sticks to his guns and knows what he wants from his teams. He demands the best from his players and in return they respect him. He might come off as a bell end in interviews but thats just a by product of who he is. I was no fan of alex fergie but can't argue with his success no one can. saying that the only way he'll respect us if we outplay him so let's do it.

Until Pep has success with the likes of West Brom or Stoke etc then you can’t claim to be gods gift if you just go around Europe’s best and richest clubs and then just spends the most money. His success is not really surprising, and I think all we can conclude is that he is competent and good at what he does.

Success in football is heavily correlated to resources, and yes there are always deviations from the norm (ie us in 15/16), but that is an irrefutable fact. The Soccernomics book is a good read on this, but it’s obvious anyway.

True, he might only be here for another year but i think BR is already a great part of the clubs history and could be a great one as we are all dreaming off.   In general the debate is over about respect, I know some have this strange obsession with throwing the "arrogant" word out as soon as we lose a game,  but i don't even get that ?   I don't think he comes across as full of himself at all more of a thoughtful Team player , some people might think its over slick PR type but i find in authentic to be honest, He came here because we was bored at Celtic so we should not be surprised if he did it again!  , he saw a new challenge with young players that he could coach and mold and i think that's what makes him tick.  But yes, i can see him moving on after next season that's just hope this is after more of the same. 

Edited by jamfox

22 hours ago, Koke said:

He didn't just win with Barcelona. He took them on another level and he's one of the main reasons football has come such a long way since 2008 where small teams like Fulham and Brighton are playing out from the back and so on.

Best coach in football for sure when you look at the style of play he implemented and the development of some players.

But he basically took all the success for the work Rijkaard did at Barca and actually took the ridiculous squad (in terms of depth, probably the best I've seen in my lifetime) Jupp Heynckes built and took them backwards.

Don't forget the obscene amount of money he has spent at Man City; Probably £300m+ on defenders, you'd expect that level of success.

Not doubting he's a great manager but he actually needs a challenging job to be considered a contender for one of the best managers of all time.

I think he’s done superbly since being here. My only concern will be if and it’s a big if we don’t get top 4 or get to the cup final. It will be seen as letting 2 great opportunities slip like last season. The signs are different from last season and we look to have improved especially given the injuries we’ve had. I also think he has improved and learnt from last season. Tactically during games he’s got it spot on especially against the so called top 6. I also believe he’s more confident about our progress this season. When he was asked which was more important top 4 or fa cup and he said both. I don’t think he would of said that last season. Overall I still think we’ll drop out the top 4 but am more hopeful in the fa cup. I don’t know why I think this!!!! We look brilliant atm and hopefully with key players coming back we should be stronger. 
Just my opinion. I hope I’m wrong. I can assure you that that have been before. 

7 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I think he’s done superbly since being here. My only concern will be if and it’s a big if we don’t get top 4 or get to the cup final. It will be seen as letting 2 great opportunities slip like last season. The signs are different from last season and we look to have improved especially given the injuries we’ve had. I also think he has improved and learnt from last season. Tactically during games he’s got it spot on especially against the so called top 6. I also believe he’s more confident about our progress this season. When he was asked which was more important top 4 or fa cup and he said both. I don’t think he would of said that last season. Overall I still think we’ll drop out the top 4 but am more hopeful in the fa cup. I don’t know why I think this!!!! We look brilliant atm and hopefully with key players coming back we should be stronger. 
Just my opinion. I hope I’m wrong. I can assure you that that have been before. 

Mate, the clocks go forward next weekend - November is long gone, winter is over :) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Mate, the clocks go forward next weekend - November is long gone, winter is over :) 

😂 I don’t know why I think this. Under Rodgers we are playing the best football I’ve seen. There’s just something at the back of my mind. Also saw something today that Rodgers has never got to a domestic English cup final. Obviously I read too much into this stuff. 

45 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

😂 I don’t know why I think this. Under Rodgers we are playing the best football I’ve seen. There’s just something at the back of my mind. Also saw something today that Rodgers has never got to a domestic English cup final. Obviously I read too much into this stuff. 

You're a worrier, that's ok. Maybe it's just a defence mechanism. It is hard to believe what's happening right now, so I get it.

On 23/03/2021 at 05:47, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I don't particularly like him but let's get real re Pep here, the guy is different class and his impact on football has been such that he's transformed the entire game to a degree.

The "could he do it at this club" argument is a complete misnomer and a bit pointless really, he's too good a manager to end up at a club that isn't an elite club.

Which brings me onto Rodgers. It's ironic given the world class thread from yesterday but I believe Rodgers is most definitely a world class manager, there's a clutch of about 5 managers/coaches in the world right now who are out on their own and he's very much in that company imo.

The difference between Pep and Rodgers is simply they're trajectory. Pep was a high profile player, who off the back of that was fast tracked into a job at the very highest level of the game, at a club he'd spent the bulk of his career and knew inside out. He performed amazingly in that job and as such that's his level now as a manager, Europe's elite clubs.

Rodgers' trajectory is different, he had no profile to speak of, he wasn't even a professional football player so his trajectory has been far more incremental, moving up a rung of the ladder at a time, sometimes even taking a step back to take two forwards.

I'm not meaning this to piss on anyone's chips but in my mind it's a matter of time before Rodgers ends up at a Man City, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, etc. If he can sort out how his sides tend to under achieve in Europe these clubs will really sit up and take notice. The EL exit this season may have been a blessing in disguise in that sense.

But those different trajectories produced managers with different strengths.

I don’t think superb skill in deploying the world’s greatest readymade footballers (and handling their egos), necessarily maps to developing young talent and turning them into a high performing unit.  The best at either one, is unlikely to also be the best at the other.

The best American definition of a great coach came from Bum Phillips of the (then) Houston Oilers:

“He can take his'n and beat your'n, then he can take your'n and beat his'n”

Is that true of Pep?  We’ll never know.

• Like 1