Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Rodgers due respect

Pep guadiola inherited the best of the best every club he’s been at it. He’s not a genius like everyone thinks, it’s the easiest job in world football.

He inherited Messi Xavi Iniesta Pique etc. The first 3 of those for sure are 3 of the greatest we’ve ever seen. He didn’t make them good, With or without Pep they become superstars.

He inherited probably one of the greatest squads ever and did what he should of done.

He then went to Bayern and ultimately failed. He didn’t get close to winning a CL so literally did the bare minimum expected.

He then comes to Man City and doesn’t do much in his first season, then gets an open check book and gets it done. Rode a wave for 2 seasons then one injury to Laporte and he looks clueless for 19/20.

Lots of injuries to Liverpool plus a huge squad of quality and he’s an elite manager? I think at least 15 managers in the Premier league would win the Prem this season with Man City’s squad. Laporte Diaz and Stones are arguably the 3 best Cbs in the league along with Van Dijk. He can flop waste 40 mill on Ake, burn money on Mendy and be forced to use Garcia, Delap and other fringe players and he struggles. He’d struggle without his check book.

Hes like that little mouthy lad, who may be ‘hard’ but its easier when you have 5 6ft 6 16 stone men in front of you as muscle.

Klopp did a much better job where he built a gradually. Liverpool were an absolute mess in 15/16. Shrewd signings of Mane , Robertson and firminho got them to a level. Clearing out deadwood like Benteke, Sakho, Moreno etc they got back in the CL from 8th. Then he spends money and they become a beast. All transfers have to be bang on the money.

City and Chelsea don’t need to spend wisely, they have endless trunks of money and don’t need to sell to buy.

Pep is a decent coach whose made to look like some super human because he’s a media darling, foreign, slick, charming and the type of stereotype a big business want as the face of the product. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know. He’s not even close to Sir Alex, Wenger and Mourinho. I’d argue Ancelotti or Poch are better too.

The media narrative is ‘Mourinho is a dinosaur’ ‘mourinho is finished’ etc etc. Like the media love to do, they pick people up to slap them down.

The truth isn’t that Mourinho is so much worse now, the reality is he doesn’t get given it on a plate. He had Chelsea at peak where it’s hard to fail, now he has a very average Spurs where it’s hard to succeed.
If pep was given the same decline in squad talent, he’d have the same decline in trophy cabinets and success as well.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Pep guadiola inherited the best of the best every club he’s been at it. He’s not a genius like everyone thinks, it’s the easiest job in world football.

He inherited Messi Xavi Iniesta Pique etc. The first 3 of those for sure are 3 of the greatest we’ve ever seen. He didn’t make them good, With or without Pep they become superstars.

He inherited probably one of the greatest squads ever and did what he should of done.

He then went to Bayern and ultimately failed. He didn’t get close to winning a CL so literally did the bare minimum expected.

He then comes to Man City and doesn’t do much in his first season, then gets an open check book and gets it done. Rode a wave for 2 seasons then one injury to Laporte and he looks clueless for 19/20.

Lots of injuries to Liverpool plus a huge squad of quality and he’s an elite manager? I think at least 15 managers in the Premier league would win the Prem this season with Man City’s squad. Laporte Diaz and Stones are arguably the 3 best Cbs in the league along with Van Dijk. He can flop waste 40 mill on Ake, burn money on Mendy and be forced to use Garcia, Delap and other fringe players and he struggles. He’d struggle without his check book.

Hes like that little mouthy lad, who may be ‘hard’ but its easier when you have 5 6ft 6 16 stone men in front of you as muscle.

Klopp did a much better job where he built a gradually. Liverpool were an absolute mess in 15/16. Shrewd signings of Mane , Robertson and firminho got them to a level. Clearing out deadwood like Benteke, Sakho, Moreno etc they got back in the CL from 8th. Then he spends money and they become a beast. All transfers have to be bang on the money.

City and Chelsea don’t need to spend wisely, they have endless trunks of money and don’t need to sell to buy.

Pep is a decent coach whose made to look like some super human because he’s a media darling, foreign, slick, charming and the type of stereotype a big business want as the face of the product. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know. He’s not even close to Sir Alex, Wenger and Mourinho. I’d argue Ancelotti or Poch are better too.

The media narrative is ‘Mourinho is a dinosaur’ ‘mourinho is finished’ etc etc. Like the media love to do, they pick people up to slap them down.

The truth isn’t that Mourinho is so much worse now, the reality is he doesn’t get given it on a plate. He had Chelsea at peak where it’s hard to fail, now he has a very average Spurs where it’s hard to succeed.
If pep was given the same decline in squad talent, he’d have the same decline in trophy cabinets and success as well.

Do people still think managers chose signings?

9 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Praise for Rodgers from Scolari

http://sportwitness.co.uk/feel-little-sad-manager-says-couldve-stayed-chelsea-longer-assistant-hadnt-left/

‘Feel a little sad’ – Manager says he could’ve stayed at Chelsea for longer if assistant hadn’t left

Still the only Brazilian manager to ever be in charge of a Premier League side, Luiz Felipe Scolari continues having a lot to say about his time at Chelsea.

The 2002 World Cup winner took the job at the Blues at the start of the 2008/09 season, and only stayed for seven months, failing to make it to the end of that campaign.

There’s been a specific topic Scolari had to discuss with DAZN Brasil this week, and that’s Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers.

The Foxes’ boss used to be an assistant coach at Chelsea, and Scolari had big compliments to make about him.

“I feel a little sad because I think we were doing a good job. Some things happened that caused us to have a small problem with one or two players,” Scolari told

DAZN.

Rodgers, however, left the Blues in November 2008, only four months after Scolari took the job. The Brazilian claims it could have been different had he stayed.

“I don’t know, Renato, I don’t know if my departure from Chelsea, the way it happened… I don’t know if Brendan was there, I would have left.”

Asked by reporter Renato Senise about what Rodgers’ job at Chelsea was, Scolari explained his importance in their work.

“We talked, set up the training session and everything. And he had a knowledge of the players’ personality. And then he had even greater feedback from the athletes than I.

Technical part, tactical part before the games. Because he knew more about English clubs than I did.

“If we were going to discuss something in terms of South America, at the time, he had information from South America. He was really a spectacular assistant.”

Scolari now claims to be a fan of Rodgers’ job at Leicester City, saying he still watches his former assistant in charge of the Foxes.

“Today I am very happy with Brendan. Because I see Leicester’s games, for example, ‘look, it’s Brendan, look, it’s Brendan’. Leicester know how the opposing team plays. A basic idea that I remember from Brendan. I believe that Brendan is going the right way to becoming one of the greatest coaches in the world.”

High praise.

Did Rodgers say something about the next hundred games last week or did I mis-hear?

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Yes. 

Especially in Peps position they do. They even say so on Man City all or nothing. 

Really?

I’ve not seen all or nothing to be fair but any of the football documentaries I have watched it seems to be different.

I’m not saying they don’t get asked their opinion but it seems quite strange that most have directors of football, chief scouts and scouts but then let the manager pick a player out of thin air.

On 22/03/2021 at 12:57, gerrytaggart said:

Could Kopp or Pep compete with a much reduced budget and consistently get results??   I don't know, but I have big doubts.

Klopp's already done it. He didn't just walk into a big club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Really?

I’ve not seen all or nothing to be fair but any of the football documentaries I have watched it seems to be different.

I’m not saying they don’t get asked their opinion but it seems quite strange that most have directors of football, chief scouts and scouts but then let the manager pick a player out of thin air.

I said the other month. I was reading 442 with Nigel Pearson and he said he would always have final say because he'd go out and watch the player after Walsh had recommended him. 

I can't believe people think manager's don't have any say. Scouts have always been around to find players first.

Edited by Fox92

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Really?

...the flip side of that is that a player is brought in and the manager is expected to integrate him into the team!!!

Seems strange not to have a collaboration between the DoF and the Manager as to a player who is wanted by the manager but also viewed as someone who can be developed and has sell on value. 

On 26/03/2021 at 09:48, deanolegend1989 said:

While he had said great players, the statement in bold is untrue. 

Pep signed Pique from Man U. He had left Pep’s B-team for Old Trafford before. His signing was seen as a risk. 

He promoted Messi and Iniesta. For the former to flourish, he sold Ronaldhino which at the time was seen as madness. 

He brought through Pedro and Busquets in turn letting Giuly and Deco to leave - again seen as crazy at the time. 

Plenty of what he did at Barca in the early days was promoting young players over ready made superstars. Granted, these guys were wonder kids but for a young manager who was expected to fail, to bring through youngsters over fan favourites was a massive risk. 

His job at Bayern was underwhelming. His job at Barca was fantastic.

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 4

Any manager who has consistently won trophies....changed, tinkered with selection...Helped a club grow has earnt respect, no matter at what level..

I cant understand some fans Desperate needs to try & Build up or Chase down career negatives over proven successful managers Achievements or track records...

There are through the Football World, managers who have brought or kept up a clubs consistency or had/have careers in their nations lower leagues,

and can be proud of their achievements...Very few managers have/had that Good fortune to Take their charges & club to the highest of levels...

The only fair question over the General subject and it is an interesting one.... How many of These successful managers, would have the character, aptitude

to manage Financialy-strapped clubs, and also make a reasonable job of it,  or even reach those Heights of those " top-clubs"..!!

There has been quite a few...its Really only in the last few years I suppose, we have had owners of Rich clubs salivitating over the chance to bring in

a todays recognised  Proven "Elite-manager"

Remains a complete enigma does Brendan

Generally he comes across as well spoken, educated in the game and approachable.

And we play some lovely football under him

Then there’s the other side... 

The fact that we had three players not in the squad today who ordinarily would have been, suggests that the discipline at the club is perhaps not as sorted as we all thought it was. It’s one thing to ban them, but the ban wouldn’t have happened if they hadn’t done what they did in the first place.

Then there’s games like today. Games where we literally are clueless. There’s no clear plan, we don’t do a lot when we go a goal done... effectively very little plan B

We genuinely have bottled it in the really big games. As in, when we need to at least not lose. We did it last season, quite dramatically, and it could happen again this term

Its baffling. And today WAS NOT due to Wilf being injured, Vardy being injured... blah di blah

We were just poor

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Generally he comes across as well spoken, educated in the game and approachable.

The fact that we had three players not in the squad today who ordinarily would have been, suggests that the discipline at the club is perhaps not as sorted as we all thought it was. It’s one thing to ban them, but the ban wouldn’t have happened if they hadn’t done what they did in the first place.

Then there’s games like today. Games where we literally are clueless. There’s no clear plan, we don’t do a lot when we go a goal done... effectively very little plan B

We genuinely have bottled it in the really big games. As in, when we need to at least not lose. We did it last season, quite dramatically, and it could happen again this term

Its baffling. And today WAS NOT due to Wilf being injured, Vardy being injured... blah di blah

We were just poor

I dont understand why he thinks that back 3 is a good idea against West Ham or ever if Amartey is one of them. Caglar it works but even then I prefer us not to use it

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Isn't banning them part of the discipline? There's only so much any manager or club can do. If players want to be idiots they have to suffer the consequences, which is missing the game today. 

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Partially agree. It was individual errors costing us after the first goal went in. Only so much you can account for that. We certainly showed a reaction to get 2 goals and while it wasn't enough, at least we didn't capitulate and collapse even more? 

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Slightly pessimistic but I see where you're coming from. However there have been other games this season, even recently, where you could argue we needed to at least not lose, and we've done the business. I said in the mentality thread that it's not as bad as is made out, a team with a losing mentality doesn't stay in top 4 all season and get to where we are right now. You could argue the Utd Cup game was a big game, yet we came through that very comfortably? 

It could happen, I don't think it will. I think we have enough in us to maintain top 4 especially with the next 4 league games pretty much in our favour. The fate is still in our hands.

Theoretically we could get enough points in our next 4 to seal it.

Some fixtures still to be played where points will be taken off each other:

West Ham vs Chelsea 

Man Utd vs Liverpool  

Man City vs Chelsea 

Everton vs Spurs 

West Ham vs Everton 

23 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We were just poor

Agree. 
He won’t go anywhere else because of this. He’s reached the summit / top level  with us. The so called top 6 won’t look at him because of this. I just see deja vu next week end against Southampton in the cup. Just like Villa last season. 

• Like 2

You have to feel for Brendan Rodgers today he is clearly frustrated and disappointed. We could all see were were 3 or 4 players short of our best line up with a couple of fringe players struggling. Nonetheless West Ham had one of those games where they scored with every shot on target. You can't help feeling after last year that we are going to fall at the last fence again with the knock on effect on recruitment and retention of our best players.

However the real test is how Rodgers sensitively manages the squad this week which is not going to be easy and some clear the air meetings will be needed for sure. There is a need to draw a line under everything related to todays match. The next couple of games are going to be so important and getting the psychology right.

Edited by Edingleyfox

38 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We were just poor

For the first time since 1928 we could in the top division have avoided anyone doing the double over us but bottled it. Surely it is obvious that if Albrighton is left out  in 9 cases out of 10 there is a poor performance.

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

Agree. 
He won’t go anywhere else because of this. He’s reached the summit / top level  with us. The so called top 6 won’t look at him because of this. I just see deja vu next week end against Southampton in the cup. Just like Villa last season. 

Correct. Said this about 6-9 months ago and got loads of laughing reactions. Reality is Rodgers has reached his level with us. He isn't going to a bigger club. His level is with us. Good manager but not United/Chelsea material.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 1