Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

PPV Games

PPV Games   

400 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be paying to watch?

• Yep
    • No, I’ll find a stream
    • Listen on Radio

6 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

If there was a choice between listening to commentary by Stringer or in Icelandic I’d definitely choose the latter. For the avoidance of doubt I don’t understand a word of Icelandic. 

Pretty generous of you to call it commentary, to the best of my memory I spend most of the game with no real clue what's actually happening on the pitch lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I voted to buy it. I haven't had the best experience with streaming in the past and £15 ain't that much money to me (not boasting btw just explaining my thought process).  Plus I'm a boxing fan so I'm used to buying an evening of sport. So I'd rather sit on my sofa and crack a beer and have a stress free viewing experience on the tele. 

But having seen the results of the poll and read some of the anger on this thread I've changed my mind and will stream it too. 

Solidarity my blue Brothers and sisters! :scarf:

Yes that's where I was really, it's going to feel pretty odd knowing that it's there to be watched in my living room, but I guess we all have to stand together if we want to try and prevent it becoming the norm. 

Can someone explain, if say, a certain game is already on bt sport will sky still offer a pay per view for that game.

Meaning perhaps someone who already had bt sport may pay extra to watch the pay per view game without realising its on bt anyway!

Asking for a friend.....

2 hours ago, Royston. said:

Can someone explain, if say, a certain game is already on bt sport will sky still offer a pay per view for that game.

Meaning perhaps someone who already had bt sport may pay extra to watch the pay per view game without realising its on bt anyway!

Asking for a friend.....

No Sky & BT have their normal allocation shown on their normal channels (i.e not box office/PPV), the other games that aren’t scheduled to be broadcast (think 3pm kick offs back in the days when fans were allowed in) will be on either Sky or BT box office - but not both.

Alternatively hesgoal.com

This is what I don't understand, I'm sure I'm missing something. What is stopping a club just broadcasting its own games? They could just run a live feed onto Youtube and ask for people to donate to a patreon. I'd happily donate $5 a match which is £5 more than they're getting from me this other way. I don't get it. Gamers have this sorted out, why aren't clubs doing the same? Is it they're tied into broadcasting contracts they can't get out of?

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

"Indeed, in 2014, the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that internet users who watch copyrighted material online aren’t breaking the law by doing so."

Didnt know that. 

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/streaming-live-football-matches-online/

Better get on it quick before our high court changes that, because we know they eventually will. 

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

"Indeed, in 2014, the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that internet users who watch copyrighted material online aren’t breaking the law by doing so."

Didnt know that. 

That surprises me.  In Austria you must buy a TV license (ukp300 per year) if you posses a TV that is capable of receiving the National TV channels (which are shite) even if you do not watch these channels.  But you can stream the same National TV Channels on a lap-top legally and for free.  European Laws are very odd.

19 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Didnt know that. 

Yes it's only the provider of said illegal stream that is breaking the law, not the people who are watching it. 

14 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I voted to buy it. I haven't had the best experience with streaming in the past and £15 ain't that much money to me (not boasting btw just explaining my thought process).  Plus I'm a boxing fan so I'm used to buying an evening of sport. So I'd rather sit on my sofa and crack a beer and have a stress free viewing experience on the tele. 

But having seen the results of the poll and read some of the anger on this thread I've changed my mind and will stream it too. 

Solidarity my blue Brothers and sisters! :scarf:

I wouldn't vote to buy it, but if I really wanted to, I would. I'm the same as you, £15 isn't that much to me, but I'm dead against it. Purely for the fact that many football fans already pay so much for monthly subscriptions to sky sports and BT. 

I've seen the argument that it costs less than buying a match ticket, so what's the problem? The problem is that a match ticket gets you a match day experience, watching on TV doesn't, especially with an empty ground and no atmosphere to improve the experience. 

Also, your comparison with pay per view boxing. Boxing pay per views are few and far between, there's 4 or 5 decent events a years that are worth the fees charged? 

Pay per view football means there will be 4 or 5 games a month!! On top of that you need BT sports to watch our European games. 

I don't for 1 second believe that, as the only club to vote against it, we didn't have plans to stream our own games for a fee. But £15 a game just hits a nerve with me. An extra monthly subscription of £9.99 on a rolling contract to stream games would have me already signed up. 

Just had a look at the upcoming PL fixtures and there is no way that some of these games that are on PPV wouldn't be on TV anyway. 

One game on a saturday? Only two of the three games from Sunday? The 5pm K/O on Monday not televised? 

I understood it was only games that weren't going to be televised but they seem to be deliberately not showing games so that they can charge the £15 which I suppose was always going to happen. 

It's sickening. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear
  • Sad 1

On 14/10/2020 at 11:16, Spudulike said:

Didnt know that. 

@yorkie1999 @Strokes

I pay for Sky Sports and as all of the games were available across Sky and BT, I’d subscribed to BT Sports when the football came back in the summer. Cancelled BT Sports yesterday and when Sky asked why I’m cancelling, I told them PPV is bollocks and is the reason why I’m cancelling. They then went on to tell me how those games wouldn’t have been on TV anyway, which I appreciate is the case, but £14.95 per game is nowhere near a fair price, IMO.

They then asked what they can do to change my mind, I told them they could give me £35 off, to which they declined 😂

I see Sky are now trying to distance themselves from this, stating they’re not in agreement and feel it’s tarnishing the name of Sky Sports. Apparently they don’t want to be showing the games. 

Is this just them admitting it’s a failed experiment, with a bit of crap PR to try and absolve themselves of any fan backlash. 

I also read that games are disproportionate across teams in October / November so some teams are getting the rough edge of the stick. 

PPV games / total cost for 2 months

6 x Fulham - £89.70

6 x West Brom - £89.70

5 x Aston Villa - £74.75

5 x Burnley - £74.75

5 x Crystal Palace - £74.75

4 x Brighton - £59.80

4 x Leicester - £59.80

3 x Arsenal - £44.85

3 x Sheff Utd - £44.85

3 x Southampton - £44.85

3 x Wolves - £44.85

2 x Chelsea - £29.90

2 x Leeds - £29.90

2 x Liverpool - £29.90

2 x Man Utd - £29.90

2 x Newcastle United - £29.90

2 x Tottenham - £29.90

1 x Everton - £14.95

1 x Man City - £14.95

1 x West Ham - £14.95

Reading that, you can’t deny that they’ve kept the “Big 6” off PPV as little as possible. Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal have 12 games (6 matches) between them (out of 72 clubs on PPV / 36 matches) 

So the “Big 6” are in 16% of the matches. They’ll form a fraction of the overall income of this. 

It’s clear that Sky / BT don’t want to turn the fans of these clubs to illegal streaming, as I’d imagine they make up a larger proportion of the overall subscriptions income. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

I also read that games are disproportionate across teams in October / November so some teams are getting the rough edge of the stick. 

PPV games / total cost for 2 months

6 x Fulham - £89.70

6 x West Brom - £89.70

5 x Aston Villa - £74.75

5 x Burnley - £74.75

5 x Crystal Palace - £74.75

4 x Brighton - £59.80

4 x Leicester - £59.80

3 x Arsenal - £44.85

3 x Sheff Utd - £44.85

3 x Southampton - £44.85

3 x Wolves - £44.85

2 x Chelsea - £29.90

2 x Leeds - £29.90

2 x Liverpool - £29.90

2 x Man Utd - £29.90

2 x Newcastle United - £29.90

2 x Tottenham - £29.90

1 x Everton - £14.95

1 x Man City - £14.95

1 x West Ham - £14.95

Reading that, you can’t deny that they’ve kept the “Big 6” off PPV as little as possible. Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal have 12 games (6 matches) between them (out of 72 clubs on PPV / 36 matches) 

So the “Big 6” are in 16% of the matches. They’ll form a fraction of the overall income of this. 

It’s clear that Sky / BT don’t want to turn the fans of these clubs to illegal streaming, as I’d imagine they make up a larger proportion of the overall subscriptions income. 

...and I'm fairly sure they're slowing the internet during games. Even my normal TV signal the images were slightly pixilated.