Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

PPV Games

PPV Games   

400 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be paying to watch?

• Yep
    • No, I’ll find a stream
    • Listen on Radio

9 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It’s the older fans that will pay for it. My dad for example would never look for a stream 

Nor would mine.

Mind you he prefers rugby.  And died last year.

Personally, I definitely won't be paying nor listening to the radio, and probably won't bother with a stream either.  For a fiver I might have been tempted by the PPV, but a combination of not regarding £15 as value for money and not wanting to support the precedent makes it easy to resist.  Instead I think I'll watch NFL and check for updates.  Plastic!

• Like 1

Anyone paying the £15 is just encouraging them to persist with PPV.

Let's not forget his been introduced to "help the clubs".  The poor poor clubs, who spend extortionate amounts on wages and agents whilst sacking backroom staff (and mascots !) and, for us, its it's important that our club voted against it.

If you are currently thinking of paying them their PPV, maybe reflect and change your mind. 

PPV needs to be shunned like a racist uncle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Anyone paying the £15 is just encouraging them to persist with PPV.

Let's not forget his been introduced to "help the clubs".  The poor poor clubs, who spend extortionate amounts on wages and agents whilst sacking backroom staff (and mascots !) and, for us, its it's important that our club voted against it.

If you are currently thinking of paying them their PPV, maybe reflect and change your mind. 

PPV needs to be shunned like a racist uncle.

Personally I’m not against PPV but it should be set up by the individual clubs with them taking all the money and setting the price. 

I would have murdered for something like Ifollow back when we were in the lower leagues. I remember being at uni and having to suffer stringer for the majority of games

Edited by Lambert09

11 hours ago, Big Dave said:

If it was less money, I would pay for the PPV.  £15 is too much. 
I expect if it was priced at £5, you would have more than 3x the people paying it than at £15.

At £5 I would pay to watch a Leicester game on PPV, and may even be tempted for another non Leicester game if it looked interesting / I had nothing better to do.

See I originally said this, but then I thought about NowTV. The Sky Sports day pass on that used to be £4.99 (IIRC), then it went up to £6.99. Then out of nowhere it was £9.99 for the same product. This was only over the course of 2 or 3 years

Say Sky/BT decided to do these PPV games for £5 (which they wouldn't, but anyway), and it goes well and they get good viewing figures. So then a couple of months down the line they sneak it up to £8 a game, or £15 a game for the Premium games. Then final day of the season it's down to wire, and they have Man City on one channel and Liverpool on the other - all yours for £40 total access, or £25 to watch one game. It's very dangerous territory, and they can of course still have it so you can only even access the PPV matches if you have Sky + Sky Sports, or you pay an additional premium to access the games

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Newcastle fans are donating the £14.95 to the foodbank they usually have outside the ground.

Nice idea. I'm not paying for the game, I'll be suffering Stringer for the sake of principle, but I'd be happy to donate the fee if we were doing something similar. 

For me, the club made a stand by voting against it. Whilst it is each individuals choice whether they pay to watch games or not, personally i feel we should all stand with the club and stick 2 fingers up to them and not pay it. And aside from our club, if everyone just accepts it then the greedy ****ers at the premier league, sky and bt will keep charging more and more each season to the point where it just becomes a rich persons sport. Football is our national sport and we are the home of football, and it should accessible and affordable to all and if the premier league keep getting their own way with PPV and now this project big picture then it will become unaffordable to many.

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Corky said:

Newcastle fans are donating the £14.95 to the foodbank they usually have outside the ground.

Newcastle fans get some stick at times, but this is a class gesture. Would rather donate £14.95 to a foodbank where the money will go to good use than spending to further damn the game.

• Like 1

Think we all knew what peoples' preferences would be. Stream 100%. If there was something that shines the spotlight on the apparent disconnect between fans and the boards of Premier League clubs, this is it.

I'd take using 15-20mins of my time trying to find a stream on my Firestick or phone, rather than forking out £15 for a game. Absolutely disgraceful, but serves another reason to be proud of our wonderful football club that has always had its community at heart.

Martin Samuel, replying to a comment in The Mail;

It’s just too much. Make it £5 per game and they would massively increase the uptake, possibly by more than three times. This isn’t something you can afford on a weekly basis.

The High Hat, London

Fair points, particularly that four people paying £5 is better than one paying £15. Here’s what happened. The clubs had released all their matches to the broadcasters and thought that would meet commitments for the season, but the broadcasters still wanted a rebate, claiming loss of exclusivity.

Also, when football is available all day, every day, people pick and choose and audience numbers were actually down by comparison to equivalent matches pre-lockdown. So the clubs began pushing for a system that would take all but selected TV matches out of circulation, while making the rest available to season ticket holders.

This would preserve broadcast exclusivity and would avoid refunds. A season ticket code or voucher system for access could be set against any deposits paid. Couldn’t be done, they were told. Too many complications, including the technology.

However, a PPV system could be set-up, and that would resolve the broadcasters rebate. Now here’s the part that should raise eyebrows. Roughly 80 per cent of the £14.95 goes on facilitating and servicing the scheme. The clubs make around £3 per hit, then it has to be divided. Projections are that clubs will split £40m across the season: so £2m each.

Presumably they simply feared the rebate cost. Maybe it will change to a fairer price particularly if clubs were going to use profits for the EFL bail-out. They might be less inclined now Parry has shown his hand.

So the clubs are only making £3 a game?

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Martin Samuel, replying to a comment in The Mail;

So the clubs are only making £3 a game?

I don't understand why the media companies can justify this, they record the games anyway and they'll get increased advertising revenue.  Perhaps this is one of the reasons why the Big Picture includes taking over the negotiation of TV rights. I'm  sure there are more pressing reasons as well.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:07, Spudulike said:

I've reluctantly paid £9.99 twice already this season for NowTV 24-hour passes. I no longer have a Sky contract and it feels good. I have BT Sport wrapped up in my broadband package and I'm keeping that for the Europa League matches. 

Can't listen to Stringer as not within BBC Radio Leicester coverage range. My choices are PPV, stream or LCFC. COM commentary. Looking like the latter the moment. Grim. 

I can’t listen to Stringer either although I’m within the BBC Radio Leicester coverage range

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I can’t listen to Stringer either although I’m within the BBC Radio Leicester coverage range

I was getting quite nostalgic and looking forward to listening to it on the radio for a change, I think the last time was the Palace away game in the title season when all our fans stayed behind singing, and the radio commentary was silent for ages so we could listen, it was pretty emotional. But thanks, you've just reminded me that the big negative about my trip back in time is that it comes complete with Stringer. They should do a red button for the radio 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I was getting quite nostalgic and looking forward to listening to it on the radio for a change, I think the last time was the Palace away game in the title season when all our fans stayed behind singing, and the radio commentary was silent for ages so we could listen, it was pretty emotional. But thanks, you've just reminded me that the big negative about my trip back in time is that it comes complete with Stringer. They should do a red button for the radio 

If there was a choice between listening to commentary by Stringer or in Icelandic I’d definitely choose the latter. For the avoidance of doubt I don’t understand a word of Icelandic. 

• Haha 2