Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AndyMaidenhead

Brendan's analysis of Liverpool defeat

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

If you read Brendans interview, before he says it’s easier to analyse then Boxing Day, he actually agrees with a lot of the criticism on here. He says we were too passive and not aggressive enough. He says we were too obvious in our play and looking too much for the through ball. He says we were not strong enough in our passing game. 

Basically, he is in agreement with the vast majority of fans opinion. Why is this a criticism of the man ? 

Brendan, must be the most scrutinised manager we have ever had. 

Did he set us up to be passive? Or is it just majority of the players had an off game? Or is it a bit of both, I think we did have enough to compete against them, but showed them far too much respect imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happy Fox said:

Did he set us up to be passive? Or is it just majority of the players had an off game? Or is it a bit of both, I think we did have enough to compete against them, but showed them far too much respect imo

I agree we did show too much respect. The difference between this game and arsenal/Man City is that we conceded. Despite Liverpool’s dominance, the two goals we conceded were individual errors which let us down. For the first 20 mins, we were not as bad as the next 80. Goals change games. 

Should we have changed it earlier ? Perhaps but then our first subs were before the 60th minute which is not too late in the game and by then Liverpool were carving us open. 

Based on the post match interview I’ve seen, Brendan clearly comes across as someone who agrees with the analysis of the vast majority of City fans. 

I think BR is right and he is giving us a milder version of his view on the lack of bite in midfield. We were harried and bullied there and we did give away too much possession as a result by being hustled into too early a ball. But, he should have seen that by adding support to Papy and Youri through Dennis. Maddison was adrift. Liverpool realised they would beat us if they stopped the Tielemans/Mendy axis and they did so very effectively which also allowed them to press on the two outer centre backs leaving JJ and Albrighton cast too far out wide. 

• Like 1

Usual and customary over-reaction on FT. 

4 words sum this game up for me :      Soyuncu - Castagne - Ndidi - Ricardo. 

We have done very well to get where we are currently, given the players we have lost in recent months.  Now they are all coming back, lets see where we go from now.

BTW Evans needs a rest..........

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Clever isn’t it? He has altered his name to make him sound like a girl, genius. I vote him for next manager.

6 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I've thought of something brilliant - Pogba, why not call him PogFart? 

It's from the 'wet sham', 'florist', 'direby' school of thought... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply, I’ve just been rolling around on the floor in hysterics. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's from the 'wet sham', 'florist', 'direby' school of thought... 

I could go on, but then I think I'd be put in the naughty corner for misdirection. Having said that, someone called Mark mental yesterday and got away with it...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tylesta said:

To be honest we know liverpool's full backs like to attack and we played wing backs that gave them the licence to come forward

Seemed to playe right into their hands, didn't it. And Vardy pretty much man marked/covered the passing lane into wijnaldum all game, so they had to come down the sides.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Sorry but when we thrash Man City away from home and beat Arsenal away as well I can't imagine it's a 'mental thing' or that we've learnt nothing. It's incredibly disingenuous. 

...not what I  am saying either!!!

Our approach and performance in this game replicated the previous performance last Christmas. 

We came up well  short against them due to a lack of application and planning, we have done the same again a year later!!

They're literally one of the top two teams on the entire planet. 

Far too many of you got swept up in the transparent Sky Sports narrative of Poor Wounded Liverpool. They've put worse teams out than that and won over the course of their trillion games unbeaten at Anfield. 

Yeah we were shit but it was always going to be a massive task for us to go there and win. Given how inconsistent everyone is this year, its really not a time to be all that bothered. 

It's more important how we respond vs Fulham. We've got players coming back to fitness, we're playing one of the worst teams in the league and we've got a run of very winnable matches. We need to get back to 433/4231 and actually go out and try to win a few games properly now. 

• Like 2