Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AndyMaidenhead

Brendan's analysis of Liverpool defeat

Brendan Rodgers felt Leicester City were not aggressive enough during their 3-0 defeat by Liverpool on Sunday, but believes his side can be proud of the way they have conducted themselves so far this season.

More on this story...

First Away Loss Of 2020/21 For City

Analysis Of Liverpool Clash On Monday’s Extra-Time

- Brendan Rodgers says Leicester City must show more aggression following their 3-0 loss to Liverpool
- The Foxes saw their six-game winning run come to an end on Sunday at Anfield
- Rodgers has nevertheless been encouraged by City’s start to 2020/21

Headers from Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino added to Jonny Evans’ own goal as City were beaten for the first time away from home in 2020/21.

Their first loss in seven outings in all competitions proved to be a frustrating one, and Rodgers highlighted where his side can improve in future games at the full-time whistle.

He said: “[I’m] disappointed with the result and the first half. It was a little bit too passive for my liking, in terms of how we played and then when we had the ball, we gave it away too cheaply looking for the counter-attack moment too early.

“In saying that, we still had a couple of good chances. Harvey [Barnes] was in and seven or eight yards out, it’s a big chance. He’s just got to hit the target.

“Then, JJ (James Justin) goes close with his moment, but we just weren’t, in the first half, aggressive enough, both with and without the ball. The second half was much better. We gave it 15 minutes, we started well, and then we changed the shape of the team.

“Then, if we could get the next goal, that was going to be the important moment in the second half, but unfortunately, we weren’t able to do that.

“Conceding the first goal was disappointing, because in the main, we normally defend set-pieces well, but we’ve had a couple of times now, away at Man City, and away here, we’ve conceded two goals from set-pieces. We’ve got to be more aggressive.”

While he was naturally frustrated with City’s 3-0 reverse at the hands of the current Premier League champions, Rodgers reflected fondly to the Foxes’ exploits so far in the 2020/21 campaign.

“We’ve had tough games in this opening period of the season,” he said. “I’m delighted with how the players have done considering all of the injuries we have. Hopefully, over the next few weeks, we can start to get a few of them back.

“We’ve been away to Man City, been away to Liverpool, been away to Arsenal, away to Leeds – they’re tough games for us – and a newly-promoted team in West Brom.

“I think, where we’re at, I’m delighted. We’re disappointed with tonight, we just lacked that aggression, in particular the first half, and that has cost us. It’s an easy game to analyse. We’ll look at it and move on.”

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1904647/rodgers-we-need-to-be-more-aggressive

Listen whatever the manager says after the game you have to take with a pinch of salt. No manager will ever come out and say what they truly think, its just for the media. What they say on camera and what they really do can often be 2 very different things. Judge him by what he does in games rather than post match interviews. 

• Like 4

I think boxing day last season Liverpool put in one their best performance against us last season. They were incredible that night and we didn't actually play that badly but they were too good. It's one of the best opposition performances I've seen from a team probably ever at our place. 

Today we just weren't at it, but again they were very good but not at the same levels of last season. There is nothing to analyse if you can't make 5 passes in a row or get the ball into the box often enough. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Are you serious? Are you discounting anything good that's happened already this season then? 

...not what he is saying!!!

There are aspects of our game that has changed for the better and Rodgers admits that is the case. It is our approach to this game that he is referencing and I agree, we replicated the same timid attitude today as we did then. It is another change and tactical growth that Rodgers need in order to overcome the weakness we continue to show against top clubs.

15 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Listen whatever the manager says after the game you have to take with a pinch of salt. No manager will ever come out and say what they truly think, its just for the media. What they say on camera and what they really do can often be 2 very different things. Judge him by what he does in games rather than post match interviews. 

I Think thats giving the players a Cop-out...Rodgers wasnt to blame for the Barnes missed chance..again!!

or Evans Header OG..or The players lethargic performance.

Many didnt mind the selection...

We were at the Champions..I Don t Think we were poor,just Not at it today...

I Dont like Reading the Equivalent to the Nuremburg-trials, everytime we lose...Much of its nonsense anyway..!!

• Like 2

Obviously a lot of the criticism is way over the top but Brendan has clearly not had a great night tonight.

Continuing to have the team sitting deep and allowing Liverpool to have the ball even when we were 2-0 down was very strange. Surely we should have changed approach at HT, if not earlier? As I've said elsewhere, I just don't know what Brendan hoped he would achieve doing this.

And as much as I like Maddison, I thought it was a mistake to play him ahead of Praet tonight. Praet was superb at Leeds in this 343/541 formation. He would have given us a third body in central midfield to even up the numbers in there, he is more physical than Maddison and his running off the ball stretches the play. I just feel that Maddison is not a player who fits easily in a 343 formation. Which is probably one of the reasons that Southgate doesn't pick him for England.

Anyway, we move on safe in the knowledge that we are unlikely to play a better team all season.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 4

For all his faults after we won as champions...Ranieri said 'as long as the team put EVERYTHING in to the game, even if we lose...the fans are happy and I am happy'.

We didn't do that today.

Edit....I suppose we have to be careful though.

We have 12 games in the next 6 weeks.

Would have loved to make THIS game to be the one where we knackered our players out though.

Edited by easilee

I think we just have to accept that under Rodgers we'll have great days and shite days. The brilliant performances (man City for example) raise the expectations to an unrealistic level and nights like tonight bring us back down to earth with a bump. 

Brendan likes to play us down to the media and maybe that rubs off onto the players. I don't feel like he really sees the club as top 4 contenders which is sad but it is what it is

4 minutes ago, easilee said:

For all his faults after we won as champions...Ranieri said 'as long as the team put EVERYTHING in to the game, even if we lose...the fans are happy and I am happy'.

We didn't do that today.

Thats all I've ever wanted from Leicester. Belief, fight and to make the opposition know they've had a tough game. Seems to have been lost recently although I will say the actual standard of football is technically better 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davieG said:

They were way more physical than us. We were just pushed aside.

Agreed. I think in that kind of situation we need to get Praet in rather than Maddison or Tielemans (as harsh as that sounds) we can't afford two players that are not combative enough, Praet is more combative I think and would help break things up further forward.

10 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Liverpool are just a better team than us and Klopp is a better manager than Rodgers... do people really find that hard to understand?

Hmmm, I guess Klopp did with Liverpool what Brendan couldn't quite so .... tick! 

12 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Liverpool are just a better team than us and Klopp is a better manager than Rodgers... do people really find that hard to understand?

That's undeniable, but that doesn't mean you stop hoping.  They were always going to be favorites even with the injuries but even so, this is probably the best shot you're going to get against them.  To have the manager undermine that before the opening whistle is really disheartening.

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I Think thats giving the players a Cop-out...Rodgers wasnt to blame for the Barnes missed chance..again!!

or Evans Header OG..or The players lethargic performance.

Many didnt mind the selection...

We were at the Champions..I Don t Think we were poor,just Not at it today...

I Dont like Reading the Equivalent to the Nuremburg-trials, everytime we lose...Much of its nonsense anyway..!!

A manager's job is more than just selection.

He set up the team to play in the manner that turned out very poor tonight.

• Like 1