Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AndyMaidenhead

Brendan's analysis of Liverpool defeat

The only mistake I thought BR made was to not starting Praet. Praet would have give Albrighton more support down the right and is more aggressive and put more of a shift.

Albrighton had a nightmare trying to deal with both Mane and Robertson.

Albrighton was all over the place, leaving Fofana to be pull out of position for the second goal, which in turn pull Evans out of position.

If we want to compete at the top end of the table we need to sort out our set pieces at both ends of the park. 1st and 3rd goals were avoidable.

Mendy has been brilliant but was bullied by Liverpool, he was swarmed everytime he had the ball.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

That's undeniable, but that doesn't mean you stop hoping.  They were always going to be favorites even with the injuries but even so, this is probably the best shot you're going to get against them.  To have the manager undermine that before the opening whistle is really disheartening.

How did he undermine before the opening whistle?

11 hours ago, Webbo said:

He said: “[I’m] disappointed with the result and the first half. It was a little bit too passive for my liking, in terms of how we played and then when we had the ball, we gave it away too cheaply looking for the counter-attack moment too early.

Wait. He wanted us to be slower? Execution was the problem not the speed. A couple of times if the delivery was better we would have been in - including that missed pass from Justin to Fofana (who was dashing forward on a fast break). But he is right we did give the ball too cheaply at times but it was more because of the Liverpool press.

48 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The only mistake I thought BR made was to not starting Praet. Praet would have give Albrighton more support down the right and is more aggressive and put more of a shift.

Albrighton was all over the place, leaving Fofana to be pull out of position for the second goal, which in turn pull Evans out of position.

If we want to compete at the top end of the table we need to sort out our set pieces at both ends of the park. 1st and 3rd goals were avoidable.

Mendy has been brilliant but was bullied by Liverpool, he was swarmed everytime he had the ball.

I agree that Praet should have started instead of Madders.  We needed that grit in the middle which Praet can provide better than Madders. Plus Praet makes better runs to drag defenders, which we needed to do more against Liverpool’s makeshift defence.  Poor decision to start with Madders in my opinion and also I thought he should have swapped Albrighton with Justin as Justin is a better defender and we needed him more on the right against Mane and Robertson.

I thought we looked like all the team had a bit of a hang over after a great night out, no one seemed to want to take on the Liverpool players at all. we gave them far to much respect and space on the park we never closed them down or got in there faces at all.......a bad day at the office indeed!

My rant is over roll on Thursday :scarf:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shailen said:

I think boxing day last season Liverpool put in one their best performance against us last season. They were incredible that night and we didn't actually play that badly but they were too good. It's one of the best opposition performances I've seen from a team probably ever at our place. 

Today we just weren't at it, but again they were very good but not at the same levels of last season. There is nothing to analyse if you can't make 5 passes in a row or get the ball into the box often enough. 

I agree with this but it seems a lot of people just choose to ignore the why. A large part of not being at it, not stringing passes together and not getting the ball into the box is in large part sue to playing against a top side, who pressed and played in such a way that didn't allow Leicester to be at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

He said: “[I’m] disappointed with the result and the first half. It was a little bit too passive for my liking, in terms of how we played and then when we had the ball, we gave it away too cheaply looking for the counter-attack moment too early.

Wait. He wanted us to be slower? Execution was the problem not the speed. A couple of times if the delivery was better we would have been in - including that missed pass from Justin to Fofana (who was dashing forward on a fast break). But he is right we did give the ball too cheaply at times but it was more because of the Liverpool press.

I don't think slower I think he means when the chance to counter-attack was presented t was too rushed and lacking in composure.

48 minutes ago, grumpy old git said:

I thought we looked like all the team had a bit of a hang over after a great night out, no one seemed to want to take on the Liverpool players at all. we gave them far to much respect and space on the park we never closed them down or got in there faces at all.......a bad day at the office indeed!

My rant is over roll on Thursday :scarf:

Perhaps they had klop on load speaker moaning abut his injuries in there dressing room and it gave them all a headache.lol

• Like 1

People forget so quickly how we dismantled Man City at their place..... we won’t consistently beat the top teams, yes it was a frustrating performance but I maintain Liverpool would have probably beaten us anyway, they were well up for it last night, and despite their obvious omissions from last nights game they’re still full of quality. 

Personally I don’t think there was anything wrong with the set up, sometimes you have shit games, and yesterday was one of those, and you can’t afford to have a shit game against Liverpool. 

I agree with Brendan, we are not aggressive enough at times, but so far this season we have been incredible. I honestly though we would crumble this season and limp to a mid table finish, we’ve had an excellent start and I think we’re certainly more of a match for anyone outside the top four. 

There’s no point crying over a loss to Liverpool, they have a world class manager, and world class players, they suffocated us where we are most productive and punished us for being a bit soft. We probably all geared ourselves up too much and were naive in thinking they were essentially “there for the taking”. Yes we could have played better, but when have we actually played badly this season? Three times, and three times we lost. It happens.

I think we’re nailed on top six and a potential for fourth this season. Sit back and enjoy the ride, we will bugger Braga and we will give Fulham a right seeing to.  

• Like 2

Too little emphasis is given to the fact that yes we got schooled, but it was at the most difficult fixture in the season, at least on paper.

We looked scared for some reason, and Kevin and Jonny a total mare.

Lil' Wes a bit silly and immature, but meh, it was always a likelihood at some point, does not in any way affect his potential.

Despite the defences horror show, they were in good company with that midfield.

I do start to wonder about Maddison at times, as Youri I could forgive due to having no rest, Madders has no such excuse, and if anything he should be on overdrive given him omission, albeit injury related, from the England contention. He came out second half like he had been told off, but soon dropped off again.

Oh, and Klopp had rightly instilled a siege mentality I reckon

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

A manager's job is more than just selection.

He set up the team to play in the manner that turned out very poor tonight.

Sorry..I Don t believe even you thought so "at the beginning"...

Top many taking this Football lark..Too far..every Single game..!!! Like I said nonsense...

Teams performances go up & down,we are trying to reach that higher level....consistently

we arent has Good an all round squad than L'pool, we have an higher Quality of player,but still Just  not that high.

The season will Not depends on Single games,but 4-7 game overlapping periods....ja fairer

1 game Winning....manager is Masterclass

1 game Losing......manager had a Bad day......Sorry fking nonsense

I personally if given the descision, would Not of Played Tielemans...Too many turnouts in a Short period,Hardley being subbed..!!

I wouldnt Play him on Thursday....But my individual thoughts doesn't give me the right to Lambast the manager EVERY time....

No fan, IMO has The Football intuelect, to Take on criticising any manager/player every Cherry picked week...even on a Football forum.

One simple reason is....he has 11-15 other reasons Why Tactical ideas, or Set ups can go Tits up....or like other weeks Work out perfectly.

Fans using the revolving door...of plaudits/criticism every Single week is nonsense & frankly ridiculous...

The Hype that came out of this forum this week, is the reason this morning,that People are taking the frustrating,Kick out at Everything attitude.

We have not  a balanced forum attitude, which actually  sprays out more of entitled tripe, than anything the manager/ players dishes up..!!!

we lost to a Damn Good organized team ( even without a manager) ,they have higher Quality fringe players,who all happen also to be present Champions

& most likely again champions-elect...it just could be, they didnt allow us to Play our game,no matter what in field channels we chose....

Tielemans/Maddison/Barnes started brightly but were eventually Squeezed out and free Space Chased down..!!!

We are Not yet that finished product...and Really cant carry Major injuries, like the traditional Top billionaire clubs can....

Two major, not One issues hit us last night,that you cant afford, or try to regain equalibrium....

That was Barnes ( again) big miss & that crazy weird OG of Evans.  Upto then we were reasonably holding our own...

I Dont Think this Club's fans  have yet  earnt the right,to be whiners or  moaners of club/team-management or individual players,where it has only just started

to compete at the higher end of the PL scale.....We are losing our humble dry wit of Common Place ,Humor & fair balanced commentory..!!  :ill:

Think of this...If we are struggling with major injuries to a very Mediocre but talented squad & International games,with too many exhausting  games in

a ridiculous short Time span,no Real game-prep, ..With Covid - inititiated individual stress & bubbles..

Then Why oh fking Why can we have The Audacity to throw in Way Off , audactical, nonsense, criticism....We aint even paying for it..!!

Edited by fuchsntf

the question is why wasnt this said before the game to the players?

Their 2nd goal had 17 passes leading up to it where not a single one of our players closed them down.

I dont mind losing when I feel everything has been done as good as possible and we just lost to a better team, but this isnt that, we simply just sat back and gave liverpool free reign of the ball.

Liverpool fans I know have said their easiest 3 games of the past 18 months have all been against us, they had a harder time against relegated teams.

Edited by Chrysalis

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

This

It was a tactical disaster by Brendan Rodgers. But if we got the blatant penalty for Handball before we scored for them then the outcome could’ve been different. As VAR 2 Leicester 0. Leicester should have had a nailed on penalty, matip handled it! Any other team and it's a penalty! It's an absolute disgrace! Mane pushed Evans for the 1st goal as well! I'm sick of this! VAR go get lost nobody wants you! Liverpool loving var!

13 minutes ago, Trendy fox said:

It was a tactical disaster by Brendan Rodgers. But if we got the blatant penalty for Handball before we scored for them then the outcome could’ve been different. As VAR 2 Leicester 0. Leicester should have had a nailed on penalty, matip handled it! Any other team and it's a penalty! It's an absolute disgrace! Mane pushed Evans for the 1st goal as well! I'm sick of this! VAR go get lost nobody wants you! Liverpool loving var!

How do those sour grapes taste? :sweating:

6 minutes ago, Trendy fox said:

Agree with the tactical disaster bit.  We should have gone on the front foot against them to give them something to think about.  Instead we were blinded by the makeshift defence for Liverpool and just played hoof ball thinking Vardy would get to it.

All a learning curve and perhaps the players we are missing are more noticeable when we play the top teams.  It shows that Liverpool have better squad players than we do and will win the league again.  We were outfought everywhere and shows the standard we need to hit if we want to be considered a genuine title/top 4 contender. I think Johnny Evans time at Leicester may well be coming to an end.  His form shows no signs of improvement and as good as he was when he joined it looks like time is catching up with him.

Onwards and upwards.  We were not the best team in the league when we spanked Man City and we certainly are not the worst because we got spanked at Liverpool.

It was never a handball btw and Johnny Evans was too busy tangling with Mane to watch the ball.  Proper schoolboy error stuff.

Their patched up forward line proved far better equipped than our patched up defence.

Sitting back like we did against Man City was never an option last night it just invited them onto us and gave them all the momentum, which we never looked like clawing back. 

• Like 1