Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

This really isn't as bad as people are making out.

Is it needed, no. Is it pointless, yes. Does it create more problems that it didn't need to, yes. But it's basically just a game of cricket with garish graphics, a stupid pointless change to overs and modernised extra crap to appear shiney.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Osavo said:

This is shite, the scoreboard is really pissing me off. Somehow they have made it more confusing, I can't get a read on the game at all. Maybe I just want it to fail but I'm not impressed at all thus far. 

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

lol. It's true. I REALLY understand cricket but I'm not really following this.

Same.

It doesn't help when the runs they've scored disappears for the 'target'. So then you end up having to do some quick maths in your head anyway for runs needed against target and what they're currently on.

In normal fvcking cricket all the information is displayed in one area (all at bottom of the screen) - runs, runs required, wickets, balls/overs left, current batsmen/batswomen figures, bowling figures, bowling speeds...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brockmyster said:

This really isn't as bad as people are making out.

Is it needed, no. Is it pointless, yes. Does it create more problems that it didn't need to, yes. But it's basically just a game of cricket with garish graphics, a stupid pointless change to overs and modernised extra crap to appear shiney.

So it is as bad as people are making out because what we're moaning about is what you've just said lol 

Performances like Inglis for County or Lammonby for Somerset the other night show that there’s some unbelievable talent in the shorter forms of our county game at the moment (I know Inglis is technically overseas), in a format that was once experimental but works, because it follows the same science of the game, that’s been the same for donkeys years because it works. I don’t understand for the life of me why the ECB couldn’t have just invested in the county game to make it better rather than tossing it to the side for a vanity project. 

There’s no doubt that there will be some quality cricket played in The Hundred because of the names involved, that’s fine, it isn’t the players fault, but will it be any more exciting or inspiring than Josh Inglis’ 113 the other day? Of course it won’t. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So it is as bad as people are making out because what we're moaning about is what you've just said lol 

Just strikes me as people so desperate for it to fail that they're picking holes in the smallest things. That's not aimed at comments on here necessarily but Twitter is rife with stuff like that. 

I'd say the actual game of cricket itself isnt much different to the viewing experience of a normal T20 is it, yet people are moaning about it like they've wheeled out Adolf Hitler and Jimmy Saville as the opening batsman.

I’ve enjoyed it. Once you stop comparing the women’s game to the men’s game you enjoy it for what it is. The women’s game is improving year on year and if it leads to new audiences engaging with cricket I’m all for it. And that leg side stumping by Threlkeld is as good as anything you’ll see in any form of the game 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

I’ve enjoyed it. Once you stop comparing the women’s game to the men’s game you enjoy it for what it is. The women’s game is improving year on year and if it leads to new audiences engaging with cricket I’m all for it. And that leg side stumping by Threlkeld is as good as anything you’ll see in any form of the game 

I wouldn't have watched women's cricket if you paid me before lockdown, but I've watched a bit and I'd actually heard of some of these players tonight.

A lot of girls in the crowd. Future players and good for the game.

Looks like the support at the women's game is a bit more family friendly, less raucous and not as beery than the men's game.

Will be interesting to see if the men's version reverts to beery, singalongy type tomorrow.

(I say this as someone who drinks a load every time I go :ph34r: )

It will be interesting to see if they do venture to other grounds over the coming years. It's hard not to like the fact you see kids enjoying it and lots of people who wouldn't go to other formats. But it's only good for those nearby. It had more big bash vibes which is pretty much what they going for. 

Easy on a hot summers day for newbies to enjoy. Let's seen how keen they are on a rain interrupted game lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

It will be interesting to see if they do venture to other grounds over the coming years. It's hard not to like the fact you see kids enjoying it and lots of people who wouldn't go to other formats. But it's only good for those nearby. It had more big bash vibes which is pretty much what they going for. 

Easy on a hot summers day for newbies to enjoy. Let's seen how keen they are on a rain interrupted game lol

Where to, though? This is a city-based tournament. You'll need to create more teams.

I fully expect counties to be culled in the next few years regardless of how well this does so I hope people enjoy it and the pundits who've shown far more enthusiasm for this than the level of the game that gave them a living for 15 years have the cricket they want.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I wouldn't have watched women's cricket if you paid me before lockdown, but I've watched a bit and I'd actually heard of some of these players tonight.

A lot of girls in the crowd. Future players and good for the game.

Looks like the support at the women's game is a bit more family friendly, less raucous and not as beery than the men's game.

Will be interesting to see if the men's version reverts to beery, singalongy type tomorrow.

(I say this as someone who drinks a load every time I go :ph34r: )

Indeed. I quite like both experiences. A beery day with the lads, and something a bit less raucous. I was also not a big fan of women’s cricket, but I’ve seen a lot more of it in recent years, and I love the progress. It does annoy me when men pounce on every mistake as evidence of the game’s weakness. Let’s face it as County supporters we know the men can and frequently do make a horlicks of things too!

3 hours ago, trabuch said:

Exactly this. But county grounds are in cities already. T20 always sells out here in Hove (capacity 6000+) - so I'd be opposed to anything that would eat into that income for Sussex. It basically subsidises the longer forms of the game, which I happen to enjoy, and are necessary if we want to produce players who can win us back the ashes. I'm not sure how profits from the Hundred are spread out amongst the counties, but I suspect the counties with test grounds will do well out of it. 

The 18 counties have been offered a pay out for the next five years - £1.3 million per year. I think whilst the money is welcome, it doesn’t really acknowledge the knock on of sponsorship and corporate sales. With rhe T20 Blast, the main focus of TV deal previously, each county could guarantee the sponsor decent coverage. 

The test county grounds get extra money for the rent of the ground, although that’s not the case for Middlesex, as MCC own Lords rather than the county club. The eight franchises are all ownership of the ECB, every penny made is theres.

2 hours ago, Manini said:

Performances like Inglis for County or Lammonby for Somerset the other night show that there’s some unbelievable talent in the shorter forms of our county game at the moment (I know Inglis is technically overseas), in a format that was once experimental but works, because it follows the same science of the game, that’s been the same for donkeys years because it works. I don’t understand for the life of me why the ECB couldn’t have just invested in the county game to make it better rather than tossing it to the side for a vanity project. 

There’s no doubt that there will be some quality cricket played in The Hundred because of the names involved, that’s fine, it isn’t the players fault, but will it be any more exciting or inspiring than Josh Inglis’ 113 the other day? Of course it won’t. 

ECB failed to copyright the Twenty20 format when they brought it though - the 100 they have and there is some dim witted idea that other countries will want a slice of it. 

They sold the TV rights billing the competition as city based franchise T20 tournament. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

They won’t take it to other grounds - in their eyes the capacities are too small and they have a ‘resident DJ’ at each ground. They’d have to pay for rebranding and also rental costs 

You might see the Wales team play at Bristol but otherwise it won’t be a good look

I won't watch but the crowd will be interesting tonight. Lots of talk about how great the crowd was, how family friendly it was- but it was a women's game that will attract younger fans. No beer snakes or lads night out stuff.

A much bigger crowd expected too.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I won't watch but the crowd will be interesting tonight. Lots of talk about how great the crowd was, how family friendly it was- but it was a women's game that will attract younger fans. No beer snakes or lads night out stuff.

A much bigger crowd expected too.

I think that is what they want.

The ECB chief said he didn’t want a “Sweet Caroline “ crowd but lots of kids and families.

22 hours ago, brockmyster said:

Just strikes me as people so desperate for it to fail that they're picking holes in the smallest things. That's not aimed at comments on here necessarily but Twitter is rife with stuff like that. 

I'd say the actual game of cricket itself isnt much different to the viewing experience of a normal T20 is it, yet people are moaning about it like they've wheeled out Adolf Hitler and Jimmy Saville as the opening batsman.

Of course it's not that bad. However, had the ECB thrown the marketing kitchen sink at t20 and plopped it on terrestrial TV, the interest would be the same. If not bigger. 

There's bound to be interest at first as a novelty. Especially with the free tickets lobbed in by the Barrow load. I give this tosh 3 years tops before no fcker gives a shite. Punters are being patronised. That never works.

Absolutely zero doubt BBC are piping in crowd noise btw

• Like 1

I don't really see the point in it but I am on the side of brockmyster really, i've given it a watch out of curiosity. Might just be a bad judge of things but from this and yesterday's game it all just seems a bit too samey. In T20 its explosive at the start and the end, here it just doesn't seem to have got going at all? Probably a dangerous time to post this in the middle of a chase but still. I personally find the graphics quite cool, the "OH YEAHHH" for a six is a bit cringey admittedly but as mentioned above, it's one small, different thing that the naysayers can easily point at and go "nah, dont like it"

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

The ECB chief said he didn’t want a “Sweet Caroline “ crowd but lots of kids and families.

All well and good but you need enough people to keep going. None of these teams have got a true fanbase, they need all the support they can get presently.

20 minutes ago, Corky said:

All well and good but you need enough people to keep going. None of these teams have got a true fanbase, they need all the support they can get presently.

Yes - after the initial excitement and interest will it keep going to be popular?

3 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I wonder what he thinks of when he thinks of a sweet Caroline crowd?, to me a sweet Caroline crowd is one of kids and families.