Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
leicsmac

Cricket (None Leicestershire County Cricket Club)

9 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I wonder what he thinks of when he thinks of a sweet Caroline crowd?, to me a sweet Caroline crowd is one of kids and families.

He means lads who use it as an excuse for a good day/evening and a few beers, as well as enjoying the game. You know, the people who actually spend money at cricket grounds.

Another masterstroke from The Hundred's Galaxy Brain strategy team. Tell live cricket's biggest customers they're not wanted.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

He means lads who use it as an excuse for a good day/evening and a few beers, as well as enjoying the game. You know, the people who actually spend money at cricket grounds.

Another masterstroke from The Hundred's Galaxy Brain strategy team. Tell live cricket's biggest customers they're not wanted.

Which also pretty much counts for the most of the corporate crowd 

I watched the games with my son (who is just mad for sport at the moment). He enjoyed it. 

Found the scoreboard graphics a bit confusing at first, more so in the second innings than the first, but I guess I'll get used to it.

For me, as long as I consider the different formats as totally different sports, then it allows me to enjoy them for what they are. Test cricket is still the ultimate, but this Hundred format is fine too for a couple of hours in the evening. 

I do wonder if there will be a power struggle between The Hundred and 20/20 though? Two broadly similar formats - can they both exist side by side?

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I watched the games with my son (who is just mad for sport at the moment). He enjoyed it. 

Found the scoreboard graphics a bit confusing at first, more so in the second innings than the first, but I guess I'll get used to it.

For me, as long as I consider the different formats as totally different sports, then it allows me to enjoy them for what they are. Test cricket is still the ultimate, but this Hundred format is fine too for a couple of hours in the evening. 

I do wonder if there will be a power struggle between The Hundred and 20/20 though? Two broadly similar formats - can they both exist side by side?

When the IPL and Big Bash already exist to great fanfare, I don’t see why they’d change format. Equally smaller nations won’t want to dish money out to the ECB who have copyrighted the format of the 100. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

When the IPL and Big Bash already exist to great fanfare, I don’t see why they’d change format. Equally smaller nations won’t want to dish money out to the ECB who have copyrighted the format of the 100. 

You've nailed it. Regardless of my personal detest for the ECB, the whole business concept is flawed. 

Licence a format against an identical product (t20) that can be staged for free

Deliberately ostracise 75% of your existing audience in the hope of gaining a new, larger following. For some context, that's BA having a strategy to tell all the economy passengers to fck off in the hope of recruiting more business class. Doable but super risky. 

And all that expenditure could be completely spunked by a weather dependent product being condensed  into a time frame and location with unreliable weather  

Business colleges will have a field day case studying  this in years to come. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

As much as I loathe everything this stands for, I do get that they shouldn't be turning anyone away or dissuading certain demographics. Despite their claims to the contrary, there is not a huge, new audience of non-cricket fans waiting to be turned.

22 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I wonder what he thinks of when he thinks of a sweet Caroline crowd?, to me a sweet Caroline crowd is one of kids and families.

Sweet Caroline used to be a reasonable feel good song but now it’s been mullered to death 

Fvcks me right off now 

14 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Yeah but it's so lower class that isn't it, getting shit faced and making a spectacle of yourself. 

Can't be having that, more pims, formal wear and casual racism what ho pip pip tally ho. 

Edited by Finnegan

47 minutes ago, Corky said:

Fair to say Kevin Pietersen's commentary hasn't been universally approved.

Why's it still on sky anyway? Having cricket on sky for nigh on 20 years is precisely the reason cricket has no young fans. 

They can blast out DJ Marshmallow and dish out hula hoops all they want but if it's on sky, none of the target audience will.see it

24 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Why's it still on sky anyway? Having cricket on sky for nigh on 20 years is precisely the reason cricket has no young fans. 

They can blast out DJ Marshmallow and dish out hula hoops all they want but if it's on sky, none of the target audience will.see it

Sky are putting up most of the broadcast money.

Seriously, I'm a huge fan of Cricket but how many versions of the same game will there be until people realise it doesn't have mass appeal and it never will?

All this is doing is further watering down Test (real) Cricket, One-Day and now T20 until nobody has a clue what any of it means.  

For example...What is the pinnacle of the game?  Who is the best team in the world?  As a young player what form of the game should they prioritise? etc etc etc

What a mess.  By desperately trying to find a new audience, the ECB may just be killing off its old one.

27 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Seriously, I'm a huge fan of Cricket but how many versions of the same game will there be until people realise it doesn't have mass appeal and it never will?

All this is doing is further watering down Test (real) Cricket, One-Day and now T20 until nobody has a clue what any of it means.  

For example...What is the pinnacle of the game?  Who is the best team in the world?  As a young player what form of the game should they prioritise? etc etc etc

What a mess.  By desperately trying to find a new audience, the ECB may just be killing off its old one.

The calendar at present is unworkable if this thing is to remain. It will seemingly be given priority in the domestic season and that means the prime summer (school holidays). Given they are heavily reliant on county players making up the squads, whatever is being played simultaneously will become almost a second team thing (or hugely distorted depending on who is selected from which county). This year it is the One-Day Cup, next year it could be the Championship.

Plus it needs the best players, especially England internationals, but the international season here is packed. One month without any international cricket isn't practical unless, again, you make the ODI side a second/ third string as we saw in the recent Pakistan series. 

Either way, somebody is going to lose out.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

The calendar at present is unworkable if this thing is to remain. It will seemingly be given priority in the domestic season and that means the prime summer (school holidays). Given they are heavily reliant on county players making up the squads, whatever is being played simultaneously will become almost a second team thing (or hugely distorted depending on who is selected from which county). This year it is the One-Day Cup, next year it could be the Championship.

Plus it needs the best players, especially England internationals, but the international season here is packed. One month without any international cricket isn't practical unless, again, you make the ODI side a second/ third string as we saw in the recent Pakistan series. 

Either way, somebody is going to lose out.

What happens in 2023 when the Ashes returns and they want to take the bulk of the summer? Batting wise could end up a shambles 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

I think the ECB have tried to do something different - not very many people are currently watching or playing cricket. I can’t imagine that there are many other mainstream sports with such an ageing fan base. 

Now this may well be because Sky hijacked the sport a while ago and it’s not on mainstream tv for the masses to watch. Or it may be because fewer schools are playing it (or the two things may be related). 

You’re absolutely correct in what you say. 

But I think this rebrand of cricket is looking pretty good, and I’m enjoying it. 

Of course, if the same amount of resources had been pumped into ‘ordinary’ cricket (schools/free to air) as they have into the Hundred, then maybe there would be less of a need for concepts like the Hundred…

14 minutes ago, Corky said:

Nasser Hussain with his usual excellent analysis.

Hmmmm. I like his style. But can't agree with everything he says. 

Yes, the crowds need to be 'managed' - the booze crowd separate from families. And yes, wtf will happen to test.matches in July and August 

No - the blast needn't be so diluted and cameras elsewhere to the action as he complains. The blast for me could run 7 nights a week on say, ITV2 and/or C5. Not dissimilar to baseball on in a bar in the US on any given summer evening. The blast would also work with, say, permission for up to 4 overseas players.per team.

Now it has started we need to decide where the Hundred sits not just in the calendar but also in the game on the whole. I don't think it will take off worldwide- having franchises was copying what India and Australia have done- and as we already have a T20 competition another one wouldn't stand out so I get wanting to be different- so why not 15 overs a side with the usual rules and regulations? I can see a T10 World event being introduced at some point so why not start to head down that road? We've lost the battle in getting the Blast more coverage, exposure and love- that ship has sailed.

What we don't want really is to be spending prime months of the season playing this format when nobody else is- their domestic teams have players playing four-day cricket, T20 cricket, 50 over cricket whilst our county players and future internationals don't get the practice or exposure to those games. England are in a fortunate position where it seems they've got at least two, possibly three, teams in white ball cricket at an excellent standard, dragging a selection of county players together and still winning.

But if future players are playing the Hundred that could set us back on the international stage. The Test team is already struggling and doesn't seem likely to improve, especially the batting. In an ideal world county players would spend the winter going to New Zealand, South Africa, Australia as overseas players, playing first-class cricket and getting experience of the conditions as their players have done with county cricket.

Hussain's point about the joy at this new thing being tempered when England are 50-5 in a week's time is valid. Thousands may be going to the Hundred but many more watch the England Test team home and abroad and they are just as important.