Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

12 years ago today...

16 hours ago, Webbo said:

Whatever happened to Jack Hobbs? I was sure he'd play for England.

16 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Mattock’s goal was brilliant. He played for England at all youth levels didn’t he? I was convinced he’d play for the full team. 

We overrated players in that team because of the dross we'd got used to. Case in point being Matt Fryatt who doesn't have a great record above the 3rd tier. As others have said, Pearson did a great job getting the team to 5th in the Championship.

Sometimes we kind of do the opposite now where after being spoilt for years we underestimate just how good some of our current players are. 

Edited by bovril

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

We overrated players in that team because of the dross we'd got used to. Case in point being Matt Fryatt who doesn't have a great record above the 3rd tier. As others have said, Pearson did a great job getting the team to 5th in the Championship.

Sometimes we kind of do the opposite now where after being spoilt for years we underestimate just how good some of our current players are. 

It's amazing to think where we've come from. The players we had in the side that we thought were good before that league 1 season makes me chuckle now.

They were ok players, but we really bigged up the likes of Kisnorbo and Hume. 

Just googled our team 10 years ago, found the 2-2game with Man City when Sol Bambang scored after about 40 seconds, even looking at that team with some good players in makes you realise how far we've come in 10 years.

Weale

Berner (terrific player)

Naughton (should have signed him permanently)

Hobby

Bamba

King

Wellens

Dyer (legend)

Abe

Gallagher

Vassell 

11 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I'm talking about 3 - 1 pumping that we recieved from Grimsby. Not the Muzzy Izzet wondergoal.

I think this was during the 1997-98 season we were League Cup holders at the time under O'Neill : but Grimsby's 3-1 win brought that to an abrupt end! 

7 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Genuinely one of my favourite aways ever. 

I never got to see LCFC play live until a couple of years ago :(  My Dad took me to Welford road a couple of times, but that was it.  (Though the only match I seem to actually remember anything about was an England A match vs New Zealand A?)

1 hour ago, Guy said:

I think this was during the 1997-98 season we were League Cup holders at the time under O'Neill : but Grimsby's 3-1 win brought that to an abrupt end! 

It did indeed. I watched from behind the goal as Julian Watts had his nose broken. I believe Walsh broke his leg against the post but can't remember if that was in front of us or not. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Unbelievable journey we’ve been on! Enjoy these times as a fan, this era is something special! You’ll be telling your grandkids in 30 years about players like Vardy, Kasper, Tielemans, etc. 

In 30Yrs time, 2 of them und myself will be a harp trio, Sharing the same cloud...!!

4 hours ago, foxile5 said:

It did indeed. I watched from behind the goal as Julian Watts had his nose broken. I believe Walsh broke his leg against the post but can't remember if that was in front of us or not. 

Yeah, I tend not to 'Google' anything as I prefer to try and exercise my memory box (even if only as a self check against dementia!!) but I have a feeling we were 0-1 up (Ian Marshall scored I think....?) but then folded in the second half. You'd probably remember more though with being there yourself! I think Grimsby were a decent third tier outfit at the time who were bound for promotion that season and beat Northampton at Wembley the following May in the third tier play off final.... 

On 20/01/2021 at 11:48, Dorkingfox said:

It was Saturday 8th October 1966 and we won 3-0, Gibson, Goodfellow and Stringfellow, no crowd restrictions then and the start of football agro, there were disturbances in the Kop end. I vaguely remember the Baker incident, he was a good player.I was only 11, so a lot to take in, still got the match day program.

Was at that game, we were three up in the first 15 minutes and looking like title contenders too. Loved the atmosphere of the grounds in those days. Queuing at the turnstiles and the smell of pipe tobacco and noisy p a systems churning out the current hits from the Stones and Beatles etc  , happy days when winning didn't seem like the b and all it does today.

23 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It's amazing to think where we've come from. The players we had in the side that we thought were good before that league 1 season makes me chuckle now.

They were ok players, but we really bigged up the likes of Kisnorbo and Hume. 

Just googled our team 10 years ago, found the 2-2game with Man City when Sol Bambang scored after about 40 seconds, even looking at that team with some good players in makes you realise how far we've come in 10 years.

Weale

Berner (terrific player)

Naughton (should have signed him permanently)

Hobby

Bamba

King

Wellens

Dyer (legend)

Abe

Gallagher

Vassell 

They were good at that time, which is what we needed. There's no comparison to now because we're playing in the top flight so our players are naturally going to be better now. But at that time don't take anything away from the likes of Kisnorbo, Hobbs, Dyer etc. They all served us well and gave us a couple good seasons after years of shite.

Also if Wellens was a couple years younger, I have no doubt he could well have been here in our promoted team like Dyer/King etc.

18 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They were good at that time, which is what we needed. There's no comparison to now because we're playing in the top flight so our players are naturally going to be better now. But at that time don't take anything away from the likes of Kisnorbo, Hobbs, Dyer etc. They all served us well and gave us a couple good seasons after years of shite.

Also if Wellens was a couple years younger, I have no doubt he could well have been here in our promoted team like Dyer/King etc.

Kisnorbo was so so bad, he was just amongst the best of a very bad bunch. That team that started the relegation season is the worst we've had in a very long time. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Kisnorbo was so so bad, he was just amongst the best of a very bad bunch. That team that started the relegation season is the worst we've had in a very long time. 

Kisnorbo wasn't that bad at centre half and I think without an injury might have played for us after that. I'm pretty sure he played a couple of games under Pearson?

Hume used to get double figures and McAuley was a good defender. Stearman did okay too.

Steve Howard and Matt Oakley were good for us after and key players in getting us back up.

Edited by Fox92
trying to remember players off top of my head

On 20/01/2021 at 09:51, baldeagle said:

I really wanted us to try to sign Gilbert on a permanent when he left Arsenal I thought he was fantastic but his career just took a nose dive . 

Didn't he have a bad injury towards the end of his loan spell with us?

I remember him coming out at HT with his leg in a cast on on crutches at the end of the season to say "bye" to the fans.

I don't know if that injury played a part in his career nosedive.

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I remember him coming out at HT with his leg in a cast on on crutches at the end of the season to say "bye" to the fans.

Oh yeah, Marc Edworthy right back against Scunthorpe in place of Gilbert iirc. 

On 19/01/2021 at 22:29, Bryn said:

Steve Howard and Joe Mattock scored as Leicester won away at Yeovil in League One.

Team: David Martin, Kerrea Gilbert, Michael Morrison, Jack Hobbs, Bruno Berner, Matt Oakley, Andy King, Mark Davies, Lloyd Dyer, Matty Fryatt, Steve Howard (actually not a bad side…)

What a journey eh?

Source: https://www.worldfootball.net/report/league-one-2008-2009-yeovil-town-leicester-city/

Pre-match thread:

Match thread:

Post-match thread:

God was it that long ago.

I was at that match. 

Out in an open stand, and it rained.

Mark Davies ran the show.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Please Don’t ever include Lloyd Dyer in the same bracket as Jack Hobbs and Kisnorbo lol

****ing brilliant here he was

On 19/01/2021 at 22:48, Jimbo said:

The game that you had to have been at to be a proper fan.........:whistle:

If everyone who said they were at Yeovil away was actually there, it was a record attendance for Yeovil with 40,000 away fans lol

I was there! Seriously!!! 😅

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

One thing we can now pride ourselves on when looking back to the lowest point in our history in 2008 .... we've not suffered a single relegation ever since!

9 minutes ago, Guy said:

One thing we can now pride ourselves on when looking back to the lowest point in our history in 2008 .... we've not suffered a single relegation ever since!

Well now you've gone and done ain't you :doh::ph34r:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

I’d forgotten all about that . The old brain cells are not  what they used to be 

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Please Don’t ever include Lloyd Dyer in the same bracket as Jack Hobbs and Kisnorbo lol

****ing brilliant here he was

I wasn't comparing. But these players also contributed to us, just at different levels. Hobbs/Morrison were superb for us.

Dyer is a hero, I proudly sang his name away at Burton last season.

All of them made us proud to support LCFC again.

Edited by Fox92