Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

12 years ago today...

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

Whatever happened to Jack Hobbs? I was sure he'd play for England.

Had to look up whatever happened to Kerrea Gilbert. He hasn't played football since 2014, aged 27. A total career games of 112. He was such a good player. Surprised he's had such a demise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bryn said:

Team: David Martin, Kerrea Gilbert, Michael Morrison, Jack Hobbs, Bruno Berner, Matt Oakley, Andy King, Mark Davies, Lloyd Dyer, Matty Fryatt, Steve Howard

Two of that side went on to win League One AND the Championship. 

One won the Premier League too. He knew how to build a side did Nigel.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

What a job Pearson did though. That squad battered league one then finished in the championship play offs. Unreal.

Probably would've been successive promotions (via the play offs final) too had Kermo the frog buried his blummin' penalty!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Mark Davies looked like he was going to be a top player. Had the key to unlock many a defence. Didn't he get poached by Megson, although I think we had him on loan? Injury cut his career short from what I recall. 

I remember being gutted when he chose to join Bolton. Although he was only on loan here he was such a good player. Think he's retired now; definitely ended up leaving Bolton on a free many years ago.

• Like 1

Mark Davies deserved better than MegsonBall at Bolton. Pretty sure Mick McCarthy was the Wolves manager so he didn't deserve McCarthyBall either. A decent football side like Portsmouth under Redknapp or even Wigan under Martinez would have been a bettrr career move.

15 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Agreed but I think it feels even better if you have experienced the many years of pain and suffering

Agreed. Can't enjoy pumping Chelsea 2-0 to go top as much if you've not seen us get spanked off the park by a rubbish Grimsby team, away...in an evening.

• Like 2

Echo the comments on Mark Davies, absolutely ran the show most games and made it look easy. Only cost £650k when he moved permanently as well, felt gutted that we'd "missed out" on him.

Weird to think Yeovil of all teams are parts of our runaway promotion seasons. 08/09 and this memorable Monday night game on Sky, and then 13/14 at home with the last gasp Schmeichel goal but not his goal.

7 hours ago, Koke said:

Had to look up whatever happened to Kerrea Gilbert. He hasn't played football since 2014, aged 27. A total career games of 112. He was such a good player. Surprised he's had such a demise.

I really wanted us to try to sign Gilbert on a permanent when he left Arsenal I thought he was fantastic but his career just took a nose dive . 

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

There are plenty of "biggish" clubs who go down with players who are "too good for League One" but fanny about there for several years - Leeds, Forest, Ipswich, Sunderland etc.

Let's never downplay that season - Pearson got them by the scruff and set us on a fantastic journey.

Absolutely. Our attitude was brilliant and I also thought the fans played a genuinely huge part in just getting on with it and allowing the recovery to happen. It felt like a fresh start that we needed and you can't do much more than winning the league you're in at any given time. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Koke said:

My memories of Gilbert were not so great. He looked clumsy, uncomfortable and uncultured on the ball. To me, he wasn't very good at all

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I remember being gutted when he chose to join Bolton. Although he was only on loan here he was such a good player. Think he's retired now; definitely ended up leaving Bolton on a free many years ago.

The story that went round at the time was that verbally we had agreed a deal with Wolves but someone didn't fax the paperwork off. In the meantime Bolton jumped in and took him from right under our noses.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

My first game was MK Dons at home opening day in 2008. Still maintain I'm the lucky omen that you all should be lording lol 

My first game was Forest at home 1966, so I have seen the extreme lows and fabulous heights of one of the most frustrating teams on the planet and the best, last night was a great game, defended well, good all round the park the complete team display. When I look back to some of the stuff in the 80/90's I think how lucky we are to be in this position now with probably the best team the Foxes ever had, even the great teams of the 60's and those under Bloomfield who were great to watch but never fulfilled their potential, there were so really good players in the Bloomfield years and white a few internationals, Weller, Worthington, Shilton to name a few.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

My first game was Forest at home 1966, so I have seen the extreme lows and fabulous heights of one of the most frustrating teams on the planet and the best, last night was a great game, defended well, good all round the park the complete team display. When I look back to some of the stuff in the 80/90's I think how lucky we are to be in this position now with probably the best team the Foxes ever had, even the great teams of the 60's and those under Bloomfield who were great to watch but never fulfilled their potential, there were so really good players in the Bloomfield years and white a few internationals, Weller, Worthington, Shilton to name a few.

Got a memory of that Forest game (think it was that one), where Joe Baker came over to take a throw-in or a corner; he winked at the crowd, bent down, removed a comb from his sock and took a moment to run it through his impressive quiff. 

Even though he was one of the hated enemy, couldn't help smiling at that. 

For a few minutes he even rivalled the Doog in my affections. 

• Like 1

It was Saturday 8th October 1966 and we won 3-0, Gibson, Goodfellow and Stringfellow, no crowd restrictions then and the start of football agro, there were disturbances in the Kop end. I vaguely remember the Baker incident, he was a good player.I was only 11, so a lot to take in, still got the match day program.

Edited by Dorkingfox

15 minutes ago, Dorkingfox said:

It was Saturday 8th October 1966 and we won 3-0, Gibson, Goodfellow and Stringfellow, no crowd restrictions then and the start of football agro, there were disturbances in the Kop end. I vaguely remember the Baker incident, he was a good player.I was only 11, so a lot to take in, still got the match day program.

I was 11 too. Sitting on the wall at the front of the Main Stand, near the Kop. Remember a lot of fighting going on in there, and not only there. Pre-segregation days of course, and pretty general mayhem taking place all over the shop. 

Volatile atmosphere, to put it mildly. Which made the Baker episode all the better really. 

Different days no doubt.